Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:15 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,294,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Seems to me that we have been racing to the bottom for years. In the classic battle of labor and capital, labor has rolled over. Now we cheer about cutting the minimum wage, busting unions, fawning over the super wealthy,etc. But here is the thing. When workers earn a decent wage, they spend it. Much more of our money recirculates when workers are fairly paid, and the economy is healthier and more productive. Right now we are in a race for the bottom, where the workers relative wealth and health are stagnant or declining, job security is shattered, and we paper over that with low priced junk from Wal-Mart, Dollar Stores, and food stamps for the working poor.

Admittedly, paying labor more raises prices, but guess what? We are the most innovative country in the world. Why can't we appeal to the achievement drive of our employees. They want to do world class work, not produce cheap schlock. Why not ask them to do world class work, rather than work long hours for peanuts? The Germans do this, and they do it well. This will only come from the will of the people, and a respect for the drive and creativity of the workers.

When folks go from millionaires to billionaires, I think their achievement focus declines. They might have wanted to do something worthwhile at one point, but eventually it becomes ALL about aggregating wealth. That attitude is not what made America great. It is a pathology. A thirst for real innovation and achievement has always been more important than pure greed. Our workers can beat our capitalist overlords at that anytime, and when we invest in the worker, the country leads the world. The last century has shown this plainly. Tax cuts for the rich, in contrast, do almost nothing, except fund lobbyists and Super Pacs.

It is amazing, that for all of their words, the conservative argument on this issue is that workers shouldn't get more of the pie.

This is their official position. Through all the justifications and word vomit, the conservative position is that workers shouldn't get more of the pie.

Amazing.

conservatives hate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 02:19 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
2 and I agree with the OP.

Wages need to increase.

Even if you own a business, your a slave to your suppliers and/or many other factors. Small businesses (the type everyone is recommended) are going to have no significant impact on the economy as a whole or the price of goods as a whole. We are dependent upon many other prices that are set.
"Even if you own a business, your a slave to your suppliers and/or many other factors."

Exactly. Wages will increase when the owner feels it is best for him/her and he can afford it.

MOST good owners value their employees and will do anything they can to keep them happy.

A happy employee is a much better worker.

It costs a lot to go through the hiring proces. You don't want to hire someone, invest in them then have to fire them and go through the hiring process again.

Then you have to take the time to train them. They are worth noting, in fact they are a liability, until they are trained to be able to perform their work without direct supervision.

An employer CANNOT just raise wages willy-nily just to make someone not even associated with his business happy.

On a personal side, even though we don't agree on many things, I like your forum name. I had a '64

Old 04-01-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Ok, fair enough, I am opinionated. So are you. You can take my opinions for what they are worth. I'll do the same.
The difference is I have experience, you don't.

It is easy being an arm chair quarterback.

It is easy to tell someone to do something not knowing the affect it might have.

Kinda like the commercial where the actor said, "Don't worry, I played a pilot once".

If you broke you leg would you use the advice your mechanic gave you or would you believe the doctor?

Nothing personal being inferred here but, as they say, "Opinions are like as.h..les. Everybody has one".

You are certainly free to offer all the advice you want. Just as I am free to ignore it and take my advice from someone with real experience instead.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:30 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The average american works less hours per week now than ever in the history of the country. We hardly work 'long hours for peanuts'.
Not to mention a big percentage of their time is stolen for internet use and socializing.

25-80% of "work time" spent cyberloafing.

Spare me the plight of the worker.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
Not true.

Not true at all.

LOL!!! OMG! THAT is too funny! Every employee is replaceable.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
To the business owners in this thread.

Can you run your business without your employees? I sure as hell can't.
Some can, some can't. A blanket statement doesn't cover ALL the scenarios.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:33 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is amazing, that for all of their words, the conservative argument on this issue is that workers shouldn't get more of the pie.

This is their official position. Through all the justifications and word vomit, the conservative position is that workers shouldn't get more of the pie.

Amazing.

conservatives hate.
People absolutely deserve a larger slice of the pie, if they can prove they deserve it.

With all due respect, you have the most hateful attitude of anyone on this thread. Your blind hatred for anyone conservative is the kind of blind hatred that most of us cannot relate to. Many liberals I know have very good points and deserve an enormous amount of respect.

Your inability to separate hated from your blind partisanship is exactly the anger fueled, hate filled attitude that is sinking this country. You should be ashamed.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:38 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Seems to me that we have been racing to the bottom for years. In the classic battle of labor and capital, labor has rolled over. Now we cheer about cutting the minimum wage, busting unions, fawning over the super wealthy,etc. But here is the thing. When workers earn a decent wage, they spend it. Much more of our money recirculates when workers are fairly paid, and the economy is healthier and more productive. Right now we are in a race for the bottom, where the workers relative wealth and health are stagnant or declining, job security is shattered, and we paper over that with low priced junk from Wal-Mart, Dollar Stores, and food stamps for the working poor.

Admittedly, paying labor more raises prices, but guess what? We are the most innovative country in the world. Why can't we appeal to the achievement drive of our employees. They want to do world class work, not produce cheap schlock. Why not ask them to do world class work, rather than work long hours for peanuts? The Germans do this, and they do it well. This will only come from the will of the people, and a respect for the drive and creativity of the workers.

When folks go from millionaires to billionaires, I think their achievement focus declines. They might have wanted to do something worthwhile at one point, but eventually it becomes ALL about aggregating wealth. That attitude is not what made America great. It is a pathology. A thirst for real innovation and achievement has always been more important than pure greed. Our workers can beat our capitalist overlords at that anytime, and when we invest in the worker, the country leads the world. The last century has shown this plainly. Tax cuts for the rich, in contrast, do almost nothing, except fund lobbyists and Super Pacs.
You're absolutely 100% not wrong with any of this, and any economist worth his salt knows this perfectly well, but try to convince the men on the Forbes 400 list - you know, the men who actually own and operate this country. They like things just the way they are. As a practical matter, this is why nothing substantive or "big" ever (or rarely) happens in this country. If they all felt the way you did, it would change practically overnight.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 PM

256 posts, read 207,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post

Amazing.

conservatives hate.
And we'd all have more of the pie if workers today stuck together like they use to. Things like sick pay, vacation time they just weren't just given from the goodness of employers hearts, we demanded them. Workers literally got beat fighting for the things these people take for granted today.

Old 04-01-2013, 02:47 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
That was completely uncalled for.
Sorry i didn't see those black and white stripes on your shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies