Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times

Advertisements

"A number of Idaho lawmakers are targeting a topic they say should be taboo on television: premarital sex.

And they're taking a symbolic stand.

Lawmakers are against references to premarital sex in dramas, comedies, reality and talk shows as well as advertisements.

"We need to take a stand and stand up for for the morality of what is best for the citizens of Idaho," said Rep. Darrell Bolz, (R-Caldwell).

The measure that easily passed the house state affairs committee would urge the federal government and the FCC to prohibit the portrayal, even implied, or even the discussion of premarital sex on TV between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m."

It seems lawmakers are in favor of limited government except when it comes to vaginas and television? What's the deal here? What happened to "if you don't like what is on tv turn it off"? Republican... Democrat... What's the difference? They both want to control your life.

Limited-Government Idaho Conservatives Don't Want You To See Pre-Marital Sex on TV | Crooks and Liars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
The difference, the right says they want to limit the government role in our lives while actively trying to increase the government role in our lives. Nothing but a bunch of self-serving hypocrites they are.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 PM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
I would imagine that the premise behind it is to stop their kids from watching that stuff. I find a lot of it vulgar and going overboard and it could encourage kids to have sex at an early age without the beneift of marriage. No different then not allowing your kids to go to R rated movies. If you have kids you would understand this.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Seems like the easier course of action (if they felt the need to do something) would be to address the lobbyists for the companies who sponsor questionable shows and tell them to remove their advertising dollars. Money talks.

Otherwise, it should be on the individuals to turn off the shows and show their disapproval through the ratings.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I would imagine that the premise behind it is to stop their kids from watching that stuff. I find a lot of it vulgar and going overboard and it could encourage kids to have sex at an early age without the beneift of marriage. No different then not allowing your kids to go to R rated movies. If you have kids you would understand this.
Then they should be a parent, and not allow their children to watch those things.
I'm a parent, and I monitor what my child watches.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:20 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The difference, the right says they want to limit the government role in our lives while actively trying to increase the government role in our lives. Nothing but a bunch of self-serving hypocrites they are.
They only want to limit government when it suits them - othewise, they just legislate away.

Republicans are not really the party of 'small government' at all and never were.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,361,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Yeah, like government provided healthcare!
Oops, I thought we were talking about libs heh heh

Old 04-02-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
They only want to limit government when it suits them - othewise, they just legislate away.

Republicans are not really the party of 'small government' at all and never were.
I don't get the connection between wanting better moral standards in this country to big government. That isn't what big government means.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then they should be a parent, and not allow their children to watch those things.
I'm a parent, and I monitor what my child watches.
That's not always possible with teenagers. Both parents work many times and they can't monitor their kids 24/7.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:24 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't get the connection between wanting better moral standards in this country to big government. That isn't what big government means.
IF they want to pass more regulation of television between the hours of 6 and 10 - yes it is.

Republicans love to pretend they can legislate morality - just not their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies