Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,582,634 times

Advertisements

Actually, Stockman traces the roots of our current predicament to FDR - with Nixon, Reagan, Clinton, the Bushes, and Obama all playing significant roles. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/op...anted=all&_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM

977 posts, read 763,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
And who pushed for that? That would have been Republicans .

Clinton caved into Republican pressure, then Bush/Cheney came along, and the wholesale looting began in earnest for 8 years.

Now Pres. Obama and the Democrats are trying to repair the damage left behind by a bunch of gangsters called NEOCONS.
Clinton was a big boy. He did what he did and it had a price. Fannie/Freddie was another contributor. So was Carter's CRA that Clinton accelerated his second term. Obama&co. are doing nothing but digging a deeper hole. $6,000,000,000,000 added debt and counting. Obama is not qualified to 'fix' anything. But he sure as hell knows how to make a bad situation worse.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,436,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
And who pushed for that? That would have been Republicans .

Clinton caved into Republican pressure, then Bush/Cheney came along, and the wholesale looting began in earnest for 8 years.

Now Pres. Obama and the Democrats are trying to repair the damage left behind by a bunch of gangsters called NEOCONS.
Site your information if you can.

The banks had been trying for 30 years I believe to get any president to de-regulate it.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:26 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,582,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Site your information if you can.

The banks had been trying for 30 years I believe to get any president to de-regulate it.
When did they attempt to undo Glass-Stegall prior to 1999?

Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,137,835 times
Let's not forget Barney Frank. The housing bubble and subsequent crash partly belongs to him.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:48 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,435,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It was actions from moain street to wall street. From the congress who encuarged it;to bnakers who prvided it to people who wanted it for their own belief in tis wealth building.One only has to realise that mnay bought and sold and made huge profit off hoising;not all where losers.
Agreed; I think it's only rational in essence for one to want to climb the social ladder by having a higher-income which ultimately means purchasing a larger home. Say I'm 25 years old and I'm deciding to purchase my first home, while my income isn't high-enough to support the financing of a home, the banks were still willing to lend it which is irresponsible on both parties side; it's irresponsible for me to purchase more than I can afford, but it's more irresponsible for the bank to loan you the cash knowing that you can't pay it back. Some people (including some of those closest to me) took out these loans for McMansion's and really only hoped that they would be able to afford it; but in reality they knew in the back of their heads the fun of owning those homes were going to be short-lasted before the large bills would come in.

Before I knew of any subprime loan crisis or even the simplicity of loans in the first place (meaning I didn't know people took out loans for homes), I remember back in the part of NC I use to live in was having a huge McMansion boom. You could drive down a road one week and trees were being cleared, the next week a new subdivision sign saying something such as "Iron Creek: Homes Starting At The Low $300's" the next week you see construction vehicles and in about a month about 30 new homes were under construction. Because I was naive I honestly believed that all those homes were being purchased fully rather than by loans so I supported that amount of construction until I eventually began to see that 5 or 10 neighborhoods were built like that on a one mile road yet no one was actually living in the homes. I think that was the beginning of the crisis in my eyes, the actual crisis didn't touch home until a year later.

The last time I visited home/NC it seemed as if the boom is trying to reignite itself though, lets just hope it's more responsible this time. I have noticed a lot more town homes and apartments under construction as opposed to homes though so I'm guessing homes really aren't too hot at the moment.

Last edited by BMORE; 04-08-2013 at 12:25 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 AM

8,036 posts, read 12,751,998 times
More than anything the exponential growth in debt since the 1980's crashed the economy.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,902,281 times
Truthdig is a good news source as, unlike most blogs, it follows all journalistic guidelines about truth, accuracy, and full disclosure plus they don't post spurious nonsense but instead concentrate on real verifiable and reproducible facts. Mainly they take the big headlines and then look deeper to find out why things really happen and what is going on behind the scenes to drive events.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,100,477 times

The banks crashed the economy, then got rewarded for it.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,938,401 times
The narrative that it was policies that allowed poor people to own their own homes; that it was the big bad government forcing banks to do something they didn't want to do, Barney Frank was a boogie man, etc., just misses the real cause.

Every piece of the government-did-it thesis has been refuted; see Mike Konczal for a summary.

Quote:
For some data, start here: ”More than 84 percent of the subprime mortgages in 2006 were issued by private lending institutions….Private firms made nearly 83 percent of the subprime loans to low- and moderate-income borrowers that year.”
Quote:
As economist Robert Gordon has written, the lenders that made the bulk of subprime loans weren’t even covered by government laws to encourage homeownership. In fact, 94 percent of high-cost loans were totally unconnected from government homeownership laws.
source
Financial institutions, both regulated and deregulated, made money taking mortgages of dubious value, rating them AAA and selling them to investors. Nobody had to "force" them. These firms went out of their way asking for more mortgages. They were all getting rich and pocketing large commissions until the economy collapsed -- leaving them personally with millions and the public holding the bag.

What's really funny is that the same people making these claims now, back then were denying that there was even a housing bubble. (source)

Last edited by MTAtech; 04-08-2013 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies