U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,095,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Lookaround you and you see a shift form the wealth sharing that has created the failures.From China to europe we see the shift. Poltical beleives wil;l chnage with it has people ahve to have skin in the game of social change more and more.here will be alot of termoil has forced change is made but that the price of a failed system as euopre has learned. No coud have imagine just a few euars ago the same policiticans in europe who creted the system now implementing these changes.Its the result of somethig for nothing wishes of voters :IMO.
The austerity measures have only made things worse in Europe. We are in much better shape by comparison.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM

18,353 posts, read 16,563,815 times
Beating up on liberals is easy.

B. F. Skinner
A behavior followed by a reinforcing stimulus results in an increased probability of that behavior occurring in the future.

Role of brain dopamine in food reward and reinforcement

Role of brain dopamine in food reward and reinforcement

http://www.massresources.org/snap-wo...uirements.html
Who is exempt from the work requirements?

You are exempt from the SNAP Food Stamp Employment & Training (SNAP E&T) requirement if:
  • you are younger than 16 or older than 59
  • you are 16 or 17 years old and not the head of household
  • you are in your second or third trimester of pregnancy
  • you have a physical or mental condition, either permanent or temporary, that prevents you from working
  • you are caring for a dependent child under age 6, whether or not that child is part of your household
  • you are caring for an incapacitated person, whether or not that person is part of your household
  • you are meeting the work requirements of another assistance program such as TAFDC or EAEDC
  • you are getting unemployment compensation benefits and meeting program requirements
  • you are working 30 hours a week or earning an amount at least equal to the federal minimum wage multiplied by 30 hours
  • you are taking part in an approved drug or alcohol treatment, vocational rehab, or mental health program
  • you are a student, half-time or more (see Can college students get SNAP food stamps?)
Breed for food.

Kids on food stamps don't eat any healthier, study suggests | Fox News
One report estimated that in 2011 alone, almost $4 billion of SNAP benefits were used to purchase sodas and other soft drinks.
Operant conditioning is a proven science, and I provided a source of documentation that proves the point.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:55 PM

54,519 posts, read 49,042,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
Then put up all of the Republican racial comments.
I have yet to see you denounce these racist comments from the dems.
I will go find the comments. And I have yet to hear you denounce the comments made by Republicans. In fact, I found you trying to defend Mitt Romney. So I put it to you like this. Don't throw stones if you live in a glass house. In short, if you aren't going to repudiate Mitt Romney, they why are you tell me to do that?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/23/us...cial.html?_r=0

Doug Preisse - “I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban — read African-American — voter turnout machine.”

And then you have Jon Hubbard, who made comments claiming slavery was good for Blacks. Arkansas Lawmaker: Slavery Was Good for Blacks -- Daily Intelligencer

And then you have the comment by Trent Lott, who said this regarding Dixiecrat Strom Thurmond: "I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either,"

And oh yes, this election: Rick Santorum's comments about Blacks and Newt Gingrich's comments about Blacks. Comments that would be considered patronizing and insulting, basically assuming all Black people to be stupid.

And then Don Young's comment using a racial slur often used against people of Mexican descent.

In Montana, with Jennifer Olsen, Chairperson of the Yellowstone County Republicans, made a racist facebook post. Basically, it was a rabbit trapped, but instead of a carrot being used, a watermelon was being used, and then the caption read something about kidnapping the President.
The Racist Screenshot in Full | montanafesto

And then at a Tea Party rally a few months ago, a poster portraying President Obama with a bone in his nose, portraying him as a witch doctor.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:56 PM

245 posts, read 191,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Ironic, considering most people who vote Democrat are NOT on welfare. And look at the Appalachia region. Most of those counties went Republican and alot of people in those counties are on welfare.
No one was complaining about the government giving out millions when it came to loans for mortgages. No one complained when the government was giving out free land to people out west.[/quote]

Alright, a lot of the people in the Appalachia region may be on welfare, but population-wise are they in any way comparable to places like New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Diego, etc? Cities with huge populations and a large percentage of that on welfare or other government assistance.

Listen to a presidential campaign. You hear the Democrat exclusively talking about how the Republicans want to take away grandma's social security, or do away with medicaid or welfare. They say that because so much of the Democrat base is dependent on government assistance and they don't want to lose their hand-outs so they vote blue. Looking at the 2012 election results by county and you see those most densely populated are those won by Obama, or that traditionally vote Democrat. I'll check into it myself but I suspect that it's these massive cities with highest crime rates and welfare abuse that are and have been run by Democrats.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post

Alright, a lot of the people in the Appalachia region may be on welfare, but population-wise are they in any way comparable to places like New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, San Diego, etc? Cities with huge populations and a large percentage of that on welfare or other government assistance.

Listen to a presidential campaign. You hear the Democrat exclusively talking about how the Republicans want to take away grandma's social security, or do away with medicaid or welfare. They say that because so much of the Democrat base is dependent on government assistance and they don't want to lose their hand-outs so they vote blue. Looking at the 2012 election results by county and you see those most densely populated are those won by Obama, or that traditionally vote Democrat. I'll check into it myself but I suspect that it's these massive cities with highest crime rates and welfare abuse that are and have been run by Democrats.
If we are talking about welfare, why does it matter where is a person is on welfare?

And then with Mitt Romney, he basically disparaged the poor with his 47% comment. Class warfare is everywhere.

And answer this. Can you prove that the majority of persons who were on welfare? If you can't, then the welfare comment was not really about welfare, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by green_mariner; 04-04-2013 at 04:20 PM..

Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM

977 posts, read 684,010 times
Quote:
And answer this. Can you prove that the majority of persons who were on welfare? If you can't, then the welfare comment was not really about welfare, if you know what I mean.
No. I don't know what you mean. Do you? Or are you afraid to say what you think? Typical.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
No. I don't know what you mean. Do you? Or are you afraid to say what you think? Typical.
I know what I mean. However, I also know how some people think. I know some people will use certain words to obscure what they really want to say.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I know what I mean. However, I also know how some people think. I know some people will use certain words to obscure what they really want to say.
Then say what you mean instead of hiding. Don't project.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:18 PM

245 posts, read 191,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
The modern Conservative made the nanny state inevitable.
Can you provide examples to back up this claim. The "modern Conservatives" I know:

-Want to secure the border so that illegal aliens are unable to violate our borders and steal from the American taxpayer in the form of jobs, welfare, and/or the cost of incarceration.

-Want to end or reduce foreign aid. We collect tax dollars, and sometimes borrow money, just to send it abroad without hope of repayment.

-Want to bring our military back from the 100+ bases scattered the world over.

-Reduce dependency on the federal government.

-Explore for oil/natural gas/other types of energy on our own soil (as we have more natural gas and oil than all of the middle east combined).

-Refine the tax code so that it is simpler, as well as reducing the corporate tax rates that drove businesses overseas in the first place.

-Encourage family values and morality rather than teaching ten year-olds how to put on condoms so that they can become whores.

-Enforce the laws already on the books rather than ignoring them and then calling for even more strict legislation.

-Encourage personal accountability and responsibility.

Please explain how any of these contribute to the development of a nanny-state.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheLookout View Post
Can you provide examples to back up this claim. The "modern Conservatives" I know:

-Want to secure the border so that illegal aliens are unable to violate our borders and steal from the American taxpayer in the form of jobs, welfare, and/or the cost of incarceration.

-Want to end or reduce foreign aid. We collect tax dollars, and sometimes borrow money, just to send it abroad without hope of repayment.

-Want to bring our military back from the 100+ bases scattered the world over.

-Reduce dependency on the federal government.

-Explore for oil/natural gas/other types of energy on our own soil (as we have more natural gas and oil than all of the middle east combined).

-Refine the tax code so that it is simpler, as well as reducing the corporate tax rates that drove businesses overseas in the first place.

-Encourage family values and morality rather than teaching ten year-olds how to put on condoms so that they can become whores.

-Enforce the laws already on the books rather than ignoring them and then calling for even more strict legislation.

-Encourage personal accountability and responsibility.

Please explain how any of these contribute to the development of a nanny-state.
Facts tend to give the left 'collective' migraines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.