Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times

Advertisements

That's almost as bad as the "22% of children 14-17 have witnessed a shooting" statistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Obama is going to be taking a lot of red state democrats down in 2014 if he keeps this gun control nonsense up. Even Clinton agrees, gun control is a losing issue

Former President Bill Clinton warned a group of top Democratic donors at a private Saturday meeting not to underestimate the passions that gun control stirs among many Americans.
“Do not patronize the passionate supporters of your opponents by looking down your nose at them,” Clinton said.
“Alot of these people live in a world very different from the world lived in by the people proposing these things,” Clinton said. “I know because I come from this world.”
Clinton dedicated a substantial portion of his 40-minute address before a joint meeting of the Obama National Finance Committee and a group of business leaders to the issue of guns and gun control, saying that it was a test-case for President Barack Obama’s grass-roots movements. (POLITICO was given a transferable ticket by an invited member of the committee.)
“The way the Obama campaign won Florida, won Ohio, won this election by more than projected was the combination of technology, social media and personal contact,” Clinton said. That’s “the only way that our side will ever be able to even up the votes in the midterms and as these issues come up, really touch people and talk to them about it.”
(…)
While some polls show that the public by-and-large supports several proposals for increased gun control, Clinton said that it’s not the public support that matters — it’s how strongly people feel about the issue.
“All these polls that you see saying the public is for us on all these issues — they are meaningless if they’re not voting issues,” Clinton said.
Clinton recalled Al Gore’s 2000 campaign against George W. Bush in Colorado, where a referendum designed to close the so-called gun show loophole shared the ballot with the presidential ticket. Gore publicly backed the proposal, while Bush opposed it.
Though the referendum passed with 70 percent of the vote, Gore lost the state. Clinton said that the reason was because a good chunk of the referendum’s opponents were single-issue voters who automatically rejected Gore as anti-gun.
And Clinton said that passing the 1994 federal assault weapons ban “devastated” more than a dozen Democratic lawmakers in the 1994 midterms — and cost then-Speaker of the House Tom Foley (D-Wash.) his job and his seat in Congress.
“I’ve had many sleepless nights in the many years since,” Clinton said. One reason? “I never had any sessions with the House members who were vulnerable,” he explained — saying that he had assumed they already knew how to explain their vote for the ban to their constituents.
Clinton also recalled threatening to veto a bill as Arkansas governor that would have prevented the city of Little Rock from instituting an assault weapons ban.
Clinton said that an National Rifle Association lobbyist threatened him over his veto in the state house, saying that the group would cause problems for his upcoming presidential campaign in rural states like Texas.
“Right there in the lobby,” Clinton said. “They thought they could talk to governors that way.
“I knew I was getting older when I didn’t hit him,” Clinton said. Clinton recalls telling the NRA lobbyist, “If that’s the way you feel, you get your gun, I’ll get my gun and I’ll see you in Texas.”
But he said that he understands the culture that permeates a state like Arkansas — where guns are a longstanding part of local culture.
“A lot of these people … all they’ve got is their hunting and their fishing,” he told the Democratic financiers. “Or they’re living in a place where they don’t have much police presence. Or they’ve been listening to this stuff for so long that they believe it all.”

Old 04-03-2013, 05:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Remember, the D's controlled the House for 40 years before 1994 when Dems passed the "assault weapon" ban. Since 1994, R's have controlled the House all but 4 years.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,883 times
If they would just stick to the Constitution.....this crap wouldn't be going on.

Guess thats just a pipe dream....hmm sticking to our founding documents

Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Of course Barack is a liar. It is part of his culture.
What is this "his culture" that you speak of?

Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
the worse part, that this president and many before him, is how they use children to push and agenda. it is pathetic at a human to do such things, it is just as bad as people who use kids as human shields. these people are the scum.
Or parents taking their children to an anti-choice rally?
Having them carry placards of fetii?
Using them to spread hatred for homosexuals? Blacks? Muslims? Women?

The "it's for the children" meme that all people use.

Do you point your finger at those who use children in a way that agrees with your thinking?
I would say not.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Well it sounds good so the Liar In Chief will keep at it when he preaches with children as stage props at his side.

Obama’s continued use of the claim that 40 percent of gun sales lack background checks - The Washington Post
We know Obama lies because he speaks

Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Well it sounds good so the Liar In Chief will keep at it when he preaches with children as stage props at his side.

Obama’s continued use of the claim that 40 percent of gun sales lack background checks - The Washington Post

For weeks now, I've suspected that figure was bogus.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Or parents taking their children to an anti-choice rally?
Having them carry placards of fetii?
Using them to spread hatred for homosexuals? Blacks? Muslims? Women?

The "it's for the children" meme that all people use.

Do you point your finger at those who use children in a way that agrees with your thinking?
I would say not.
I love clairvoyant liberals who always know how others think and feel.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:13 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I thought the left would be in here telling everyone that this is true and people who have guns are...well just sexual orientated word here....

Pretty telling of the leftist liars....here on CD................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies