U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM

12,607 posts, read 8,058,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I'm not for "state freedoms". I'm for "personal freedoms". And I won't stand for theocratic drive, even in Israel, but I'm not an Israeli. I'm an American. Learn the difference.

And why exactly do you people believe that intermixing religion and governance is great, as long as it is confined to a state?

"Notwithstanding the general progress made within the two last centuries in favour of this branch of liberty, and the full establishment of it in some parts of our country, there remains in others a strong bias towards the old error, that without some sort of alliance or coalition between Government and Religion neither can be duly supported."
- James Madison

You have a very strange hero of "personal freedoms". I would think Patrick Henry would be best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I want to spoil your fun.
You did not spoil my fun. See, I am having your kind of fun.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:40 PM

1,672 posts, read 802,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Then why do you make me repeat myself?
14th Amendment

Amendment XIV

Section 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
I see no mention of preventing the establishment of religion. This does not turn every amendment before it on its head. States have due process of law which can result in incarceration. The idea was to apply it equally to all citizens which insures justice is form in the states.
You are wrong and are showing you are so biased towards an opinion that you can't read (or understand) what the 14th Amendment actually says and does. I have provided you with real sources earlier in this thread to help out clear any confusion you have but obviously you are refusing to listen.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:46 PM

5,395 posts, read 1,400,261 times
Quote:
You did not spoil my fun. See, I am having your kind of fun.
Nah, I don't get a kick out of acting like a 10-year-old. But since you do, I don't have it in me to spoil it for you.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:48 PM

1,345 posts, read 346,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
You are wrong and are showing you are so biased towards an opinion that you can't read (or understand) what the 14th Amendment actually says and does. I have provided you with real sources earlier in this thread to help out clear any confusion you have but obviously you are refusing to listen.

You actually did and yours was a good source. I found others as well, but just like it took with me, a person has to get off their tail and learn. My lesson on the subject happened last night/this morning.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM

The worse thing about this whole nonesense? Norh Carolina has a HORRIBLE unemployment rate, the GOP ran on jobs, jobs, jobs, and if you see all the other "junk" bills that are being proposed by the GOP with no solid jobs bills, it makes you angry, which can be seen in the NC state forums right now. I see myself as a "sensible" fiscal conservative and a "sensible" social libertarian, but with crap like this, it will make me give the finger to the GOP voting wise until they get some priorities straight.

Seriously, what goes on in these people's heads? It is like they want to make it difficult to stay in power?

Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:

That isn't an argument. Where is the religion part?

If you are too lazy to provide the numbered item in the thread it can't be worth it. I am not going to hunt through 200 threads. The Bill of Rights gave NO power to the Feds. That was its intent. I would also view the 14th by their reckoning would not item per item impose it on the states. No way that was the anti-federalist position. If you want to say they were wrong that is another argument.

And anyone can come up with "resources".

http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/2012...ill-of-rights/

Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM

977 posts, read 240,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
A bill filed by Republican lawmakers would allow North Carolina to declare an official religion, in violation of the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Bill of Rights, and seeks to nullify any federal ruling against Christian prayer by public bodies statewide.

House Bill 494, filed by Republican Rowan County Reps. Harry Warren and Carl Ford, would refuse to acknowledge the force of any judicial ruling on prayer in North Carolina or indeed on any Constitutional topic:

"The Constitution of the United States does not grant the federal government and does not grant the federal courts the power to determine what is or is not constitutional; therefore, by virtue of the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, the power to determine constitutionality and the proper interpretation and proper application of the Constitution is reserved to the states and to the people," the bill states. "Each state in the union is sovereign and may independently determine how that state may make laws respecting an establishment of religion."

Proposal would allow state religion in North Carolina :: WRAL.com

This from the party who claims the left is "shredding the Constitution."
Typical. Libs hate the first and tenth amendment when it doesn't comport with their agenda.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
That isn't an argument. Where is the religion part?

If you are too lazy to provide the numbered item in the thread it can't be worth it. I am not going to hunt through 200 threads. The Bill of Rights gave NO power to the Feds. That was its intent. I would also view the 14th by their reckoning would not item per item impose it on the states. No way that was the anti-federalist position. If you want to say they were wrong that is another argument.

And anyone can come up with "resources".

The 14th Amendment and the Bill of Rights – Tenth Amendment Center
Post 121. Problem with your source is it does not follow the historical intent of the framers of the amendment and of course a century of judicial rulings. Also it has an obvious bias.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Post 121. Problem with your source is it does not follow the historical intent of the framers of the amendment and of course a century of judicial rulings. Also it has an obvious bias.

The historical intent of the framers? The BIll of Rights is the most anti-federalist portion of the COTUS .They put it there. You are telling me Patrick Henry wanted to give the Bill of Rights to the Federal government so they could impose it on the states? YOU are the one who is biased. It is entirely designed to prevent action on any kind.

Sorry no can do. You have to say the Bill of Rights was wrong and should have been activist in its approach. Of course that would please Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies