Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Exactly.

Thanks for making my point.

Connecticut can do what it damn well pleases about guns, despite the bleating on that thread about "Constitutional rights."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
A constitutional doctrine whereby selected provisions of the Bill of Rights are made applicable to the states through the due process clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

The doctrine of selective incorporation, or simply the incorporation doctrine, makes the first ten amendments to the Constitution—known as the Bill of Rights—binding on the states. Through incorporation, state governments largely are held to the same standards as the federal government with regard to many constitutional rights, including the First Amendment freedoms of speech, religion, and assembly, and the separation of church and state; the Fourth Amendment freedoms from unwarranted arrest and unreasonable searches and seizures; the fifth amendment privilege against self-incrimination; and the Sixth Amendment right to a speedy, fair, and public trial. Some provisions of the Bill of Rights—including the requirement of indictment by a Grand Jury (Sixth Amendment) and the right to a jury trial in civil cases (Seventh Amendment)—have not been applied to the states through the incorporation doctrine.
Incorporation (Bill of Rights legal definition of Incorporation (Bill of Rights. Incorporation (Bill of Rights synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.)

Old 04-03-2013, 09:48 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The first amendment states that congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. As recently as 1994 the Supreme Court has upheld the position that state and local government face the same restrictions. Before you go on a rant about how the Constitution doesn't mention states, let me remind you that our courts work under the doctrine of stare decisis--that court decisions and previous case law sets precedents that must be followed, and that rulings by higher courts supersede decisions by lower courts.

Everson v. Board of Education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Board of Education of Kiryas Joel Village School District v. Grumet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, the Supreme Courts position is that the states cant FUND one particular religion over another.

We have a national cathedral, but its not government funded..

Washington National Cathedral

Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The process through which our laws are passed, is taught at the 5th grade level. Its hard to take people seriously who claim to be old enough to be posting here, but doesnt have a 5th grade education.
Then take you complaints about this to a thread under "education."

Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
so what would a state religion mean?

Would it mean that my tax dollars will support a non-governmental political organization?
No

Old 04-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Then take you complaints about this to a thread under "education."
I'm not the one complaining, you are.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
If NC made a state religion, could they make state laws based on that religion. For example, could they make a law against homosexuality, coveting they neighbors car, etc..?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:52 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We have a national cathedral, but its not government funded..

Washington National Cathedral
And it's only "national" in name - I could call myself the National ArchPriest if I wanted to, put it on my business cards, pay for an announcement in the Times, but it doesn't actually make me Pope of America.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:54 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,450,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
So I take it you'd be fine with a state banning guns? What's that, no? Incorporation of the bill of rights only applies to the parts of it that allow you to establish a theocracy where the citizens are armed to the teeth?
More inane arguments. The 2nd A is a Constitutional Right spelled out in the Constitution of the USA. State religions are exactly that. STATE'S RIGHTS. Two completely different things.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Looks like everyone in NC will be required to own at least one snake and bring it to church on Sunday to be lovingly petted and handled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies