Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times

Advertisements

I feel sorry for any adult who does not feel the shame in how this situation was handled. This is only an 8 yr old child, and do not beleive the souce of why she has a odor, has been revealed.

Without having first hand knowledge of this problem, i tend to feel it could be genetic. Why do i say this. I once worked with a gentlemen, who was very clean, good hygine, nice looking professional and yes i am sure he took more then one shower a day.

Point no matter how clean he was, no matter how good his hygine was, no matter how often he showered, don't know how else to say this, he stunk to high heaven. There were times, i thought i would literally throw up from his smell. It was awful, but i worked with this man. I could never come out and tell him that his smell literally made me sick.

It was an extremely bad odor, and on a hot day, only made worse. It was worse then the worse B.O. you can imagine ever. There may be something else going on here, we do not have first hand knowledge of. But i agree with the above poster, hope this is not a case of STD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:27 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,545 times
This is in my County. The Mom came to the local news apparently as a last hope to help her child. After the story aired locally, apparently there is a surge of people coming forward to help. I seen someone posting on the news fb page wanting to try to help by giving for free Aloe Juice.. whatever that actually does by drinking. One is even a Pediatrician offering to check thoroughly on the medical side and possibly more. Maybe (hopefully) they will find out what is causing the scent and get this little girl back into School. Now it will be up to the Mom to actually accept these offers. The news is forwarding it all to the Mom.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Yes, that little 8 year old totally disregarded gthe 24 chances she had to resolve the issue herself. Do you think she is actually capable of understanding what is going on, why it is happening, and how to remedy it herself?

Clearly you are not a parent nor have been around children for any length of time. Having said that, one really doesn't need to be a parent or be around children to UNDERSTAND that an 8 year old child is not capable of understanding the problem and how to correct it.
Ater running this by my wife, she informed me of my lack of judgement. As far being a parent, I'm a step parent so in the eyes of some on this forum my opinion doesn't really count. When my stepdaughter came into my life she was 10, so i don't have much experience with kids younger than that. I let my dislike for PC, others having to suffer for the actions of one get the best of me. And don't sell 8 year olds short there are some that are more mature than others and could understand the problem.
The parents are the ones to blame which i thought all along and the school should not have let it go this far.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
but more often than not it is simply poor hygiene and the child is living in troubling conditions. Perhaps the electricity or water service has been terminated for non payment of bills. There are times when we involve DCS, but generally the conversations with the parents will discover there is a need to assist with finding a funding source or agency that can help the family thorough social services."
Read more....
Little girl suspended 24 days from school for smelling bad - WJHL-TV: News: Weather, and Sports for Johnson City, TN

Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
This is in my County. The Mom came to the local news apparently as a last hope to help her child. After the story aired locally, apparently there is a surge of people coming forward to help. I seen someone posting on the news fb page wanting to try to help by giving for free Aloe Juice.. whatever that actually does by drinking. One is even a Pediatrician offering to check thoroughly on the medical side and possibly more. Maybe (hopefully) they will find out what is causing the scent and get this little girl back into School. Now it will be up to the Mom to actually accept these offers. The news is forwarding it all to the Mom.
So does it seem to be something other than a hygiene issue then? Why would she go on the news to make a public plea for help if it's a matter of being dirty?

Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
I knew of several children who exhibited nasty odor, that did not appear to derive from unhygienic behavior.
Their clothes were clean and so was their hair.
But - gawd - no one wanted to be by them.
Of course, they may have been rolling in dung when no one was looking.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Ater running this by my wife, she informed me of my lack of judgement. As far being a parent, I'm a step parent so in the eyes of some on this forum my opinion doesn't really count. When my stepdaughter came into my life she was 10, so i don't have much experience with kids younger than that. I let my dislike for PC, others having to suffer for the actions of one get the best of me. And don't sell 8 year olds short there are some that are more mature than others and could understand the problem.
The parents are the ones to blame which i thought all along and the school should not have let it go this far.
Good step dads are great! That said, there's a big gap in understanding and ability between 8 and 10. That's all that people were trying to explain to you. An eight year needs a parent to supervise hygiene. At that age my boys would have skipped it all--clean clothing, soap, shampoo and tooth brushing--if I hadn't constantly checked. They LOVED baths when they were little, but when mine were old enough that they didn't want me in the bathroom, they tried to skip out on scrubbing up. They eventually grew out of that stage and started to care by the time they hit later elementary. They're all teenagers now, and none of them would be caught dead at this point in a slightly wrinkled shirt.

Last edited by mb1547; 04-03-2013 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 05:51 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
This poor kid. I certainly hope SOMEONE in her life, can help her remedy this situation. I'm guessing the parents' are clueless; but that is just a guess.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:58 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Good step dads are great! That said, there's a big gap in understanding and ability between 8 and 10. That's all that people were trying to explain to you. An eight year needs a parent to supervise hygiene. At that age my boys would have skipped it all--clean clothing, soap, shampoo and tooth brushing--if I hadn't constantly checked. They LOVED baths when they were little, but when mine were old enough that they didn't want me in the bathroom, they tried to skip out on scrubbing up. They eventually grew out of that stage and started to care by the time they hit later elementary. They're all teenagers now, and none of them would be caught dead at this point in a slightly wrinkled shirt.
Believe it or not we actually had this problem with our daughter when she was around 14. I was shocked that a girl would be like this. We would have to remind her to shower or she would go a few days. She never stunk but her hair would get gross. Luckily the phase was short lived.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As someone who has taught over 20 years, I have a pretty darn good idea. Schools do not lightly send kids home - they receive money based on daily attendance and in most states are evaluated on their school report card by daily attendance. In the schools I have worked in when a child had smelly issues the counselors tried working with them first and that usually took care of the problem. If that didn't work they talked to the parents. It was amazing how many times it ended up being an issue of no washer in the house or the parents themselves were absolutely clueless about hygiene, including their own. Sometimes it is a bathroom issue, as in the child doesn't properly wipe or has accidents. With little girls it is sometimes a urinary tract infection. When I worked in Eastern Kentucky, children that smelled like cat urine were reported to the police because that usually meant there was a Meth Lab in the house. It is not normal for an eight year old child to smell bad enough to distract others. Nor is it common for a school to feel it is bad enough to send a child home - I have only seen that twice in my career and in both cases it was a child who kept pooping their pants.

I also feel I need to point out that it might be a sign of an STD.
I fully admit to being completely naive and uninformed about how one cooks meth. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but why would it make your clothing smell like cat urine? Is it the chemicals they use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies