U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 11:20 AM

6,396 posts, read 4,405,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
An eight-year-old Tennessee girl has been sent home from school 24 times this school year because of what her mother describes as her foul odor.
Tennessee girl suspended from school 24 times for

Well, . . .

I can see both sides of things, IF the girl is clean, clean clothes, and just has a natural odor, that is offensive can be a problem in a classroom, an enclosed space, BUT, there should be a way to handle it.

IF however this is a hygiene problem, then other steps need to be taken.

Other than that, I am really at a loss, since the person being hurt, is this 8 year old girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 AM

10,145 posts, read 6,270,142 times
The article claims it is not a medical issue. I'm going to assume it's hygiene. If so then there should not have ever reached the 24 times. If after 3 times she has not learned proper hygiene then she should be suspended until she can. Hopefully that will wake the parents up, since they are to blame as well. There is no reason others should be subject to her stink, pure and simple. We've had that issue come up here at work, I for one will refuse to work with someone that has an offensive odor , and I don't just mean the occasional "I forgot deodorant" odor but I'm talking about clear out the room haven't bathed in over a week odor. We as a race have progressed beyond what the neaderthals once did or in this case did not do.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:07 PM

21,872 posts, read 21,715,556 times
Perhaps a home visit is in order.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,750,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
The article claims it is not a medical issue. I'm going to assume it's hygiene. If so then there should not have ever reached the 24 times. If after 3 times she has not learned proper hygiene then she should be suspended until she can. Hopefully that will wake the parents up, since they are to blame as well. There is no reason others should be subject to her stink, pure and simple. We've had that issue come up here at work, I for one will refuse to work with someone that has an offensive odor , and I don't just mean the occasional "I forgot deodorant" odor but I'm talking about clear out the room haven't bathed in over a week odor. We as a race have progressed beyond what the neaderthals once did or in this case did not do.
I think after the 2nd suspension, that her odor should have been a concern to everyone.

24 is absolutely ridiculous.

Could you immagine this little girl being suspended for head lice 24 times. After the 2nd, someone would have figured out there was a problem.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,993,287 times
Child Protective Services should pay this family a visit. Schools should automatically do this whenever they encounter children who are obviously suffering from neglect (we've all known "The Smelly Kid" in school at one time.).

There's a difference between children living in poverty and children being neglected.

Another possibility is that the child may suffer from a genetic disorder called Trimethylaminuria .

Old 04-03-2013, 12:22 PM

6,649 posts, read 6,828,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Child Protective Services should pay this family a visit. Schools should automatically do this whenever they encounter children who are obviously suffering from neglect (we've all known "The Smelly Kid" in school at one time.).

There's a difference between children living in poverty and children being neglected.

Another possibility is that the child may suffer from a genetic disorder called Trimethylaminuria .
^^This. If she's truly being neglected and not kept clean, that is one thing. If she has this (rare) disorder, that's another entirely, and the school and her parents need to figure out a way to deal with it. Kid needs an education.

A few years ago, I saw a TV program which featured a woman who'd had that problem her whole life. She was made fun of in school, had no friends to speak of, and had tried every soap and deodorant on the market, to no effect. I felt so bad for her.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,991,237 times
If it isn't a hygiene issue, could she be eating something that's causing an unpleasant odor? I've heard of people having weird body chemical issues with foods like broccoli and garlic. Some people's bodies respond in "strange and wonderful" ways to things that don't impact others.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 PM

10,115 posts, read 6,991,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I've never even heard of this. You learn something new every day...

Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM

3,846 posts, read 1,961,301 times
I've been working on ingestible perfuming since I first read Jitterbug Perfume, by Tom Robbins.

I've given up on GMO perfume because I think it is impossible to avoid unintended consequences.

For now, you can take your chances with along-the-way novations.

Perfume You Can Swallow: Pills To Make Your Sweat Smell Good? | Blisstree

Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM

1,691 posts, read 2,198,742 times
Regardless of the reason behind it, I feel horrible for the kid. The suspensions would be humiliating enough; the newspaper and headline now going national is so much worse.

I highly doubt it's a simple issue of her not washing to the best of her ability either. At eight, we'll go to most any level to avoid being the kid that stands out, much less is known for stinking. Maybe it's a disorder, or something she's eating or even something along the lines of her parents don't have running water with which to wash her.

Whatever the issue, was it really necessary for the newspaper to report it? To me it's less of a real news story and more of a creating sensationalistic news for the sake of selling copy thing...all at the expense of a kid. I don't have much of a bleeding heart but this story is wrong on so many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies