Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:16 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The reality that 20 children were shot and killed at Sandy Hook,
25 children 5 years old and under were killed at Waco by the government, and yet we still allow that government to continue efforts at disarming the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 12:44 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
25 children 5 years old and under were killed at Waco by the government, and yet we still allow that government to continue efforts at disarming the people.
The parents of those kids were the ones 100 % responsible for the deaths of those children. They were lunatics.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
That is absolutely not true. Here's a good example. For decades, family practitioners have been forbidden to ask patients about guns in their homes or how they are stored. If that restriction was dropped, and pediatricians could ask parents about guns in the home, many of these incidents could have been prevented. Are you trying to tell me that these parents were unable to safely secure these guns away from their children? That they didn't know better? No, it's just a too casual attitude towards guns, thinking they are just toys, and being too lazy to store them properly away from children.

Or the NRA. They'll lobby about every stupid, outrageous unfeasible plan in the world, but why don't they direct their massive resources to publicizing gun safety at home, since each year more children are killed by guns at home than are ever killed in mass shootings.

Gun lovers love to accept all these needless deaths, when so much could be done. They are like helpless little ninnies flapping their arms about going "we can't do anything to improve gun safety...it would be too hard...it wouldn't work!...I might have to make an effort...it might be an inconvenience !!...waaahhh
It is the parent's casual attitude towards parenting. Based on some of these stories, I take more precautions for my cats. There are no plants in the house that will make them sick. I vigilant to the point of obsession about keeping the floor clean of loose string which can kill them in ingested. I monitor eating and drinking levels daily since that is always the first sign of an illness.

The NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe|Eddie Eagle GunSafe program has been in place since 1988. For the people with math issues, this is its 25th year of teaching gun safety to pre-K to 3rd graders. Over 26 million kids have gone through this program of:
If you see a gun:
STOP!
Don't Touch.
Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.

I don't accept these deaths either. Something can be done but first we must focus on the causes of the MAJORITY of child deaths. When we get to something like this, we must focus on the root cause and not the symptom.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
It is the parent's casual attitude towards parenting. Based on some of these stories, I take more precautions for my cats. There are no plants in the house that will make them sick. I vigilant to the point of obsession about keeping the floor clean of loose string which can kill them in ingested. I monitor eating and drinking levels daily since that is always the first sign of an illness.

The NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe|Eddie Eagle GunSafe program has been in place since 1988. For the people with math issues, this is its 25th year of teaching gun safety to pre-K to 3rd graders. Over 26 million kids have gone through this program of:
If you see a gun:
STOP!
Don't Touch.
Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.

I don't accept these deaths either. Something can be done but first we must focus on the causes of the MAJORITY of child deaths. When we get to something like this, we must focus on the root cause and not the symptom.
Well in this case you don't need to address some deep-seated root cause. Address the problem: parents who don't store their guns safely at home, and/or let their children handle and shoot guns without adult supervision. Not that hard to solve. Store the guns safely. And keep your children away from guns, children have no business with them---they lack the motor skills, and the self-control, common sense, and maturity to be around lethal weapons.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:09 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Well in this case you don't need to address some deep-seated root cause. Address the problem: parents who don't store their guns safely at home, and/or let their children handle and shoot guns without adult supervision. Not that hard to solve.
That's just one of many symptoms of bad parenting. My parents weren't perfect but when I was told shown toy guns and real guns and which ones I could play with, it was set in stone. I was told the consequences of touching the real ones without someone there and unlike parents of today, they followed through with it. Unlike kids of today, I did not want to disappoint my parents by breaking the rules.

Quote:
Store the guns safely. And keep your children away from guns, children have no business with them---they lack the motor skills, and the self-control, common sense, and maturity to be around lethal weapons.
Even if you store them safely, they will run across one in their day to day life and will need to know how to handle the situation. It's the lack of knowledge that will get them killed. It takes no motor skills to NOT touch it.

Secret things are interesting and that's when the lack of self control takes over. If they have gone through the basics of what to do when they see a gun unattended, then there is no curiosity. My first hunting trip in the 2nd grade cemented the fact that guns are deadly. A deer, much larger than me at the time, was dropped with a single shot from a .30-30 less than 50 feet from me. During the field dressing, my dad and the other guys explained the wound cavity and what the bullet did.

It's like you have blinders on and if you keep repeating "guns are the root of all evil" enough, someone will listen. Guns are a tool that can be used for good or evil. In your world, you haven't been exposed to the good side of guns.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkhunter View Post
Gun locks are for children under 8yo.
Other than that they are worthless.
And the child i posted this thread about was 4 yrs old.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I notice you keep making these post and NOT ONE WORD about the 165 PAGES where a gun was used to SAVE lives.

For EVERY one you post I will post 5 cases where a gun was used for good.

"Let's get it on!"
Quit try to hijack my thread. Please stay on topic.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Because that is what all your tirades are about in every gun control thread. You know every gun that is sold has to come with a lock? So your work here is done and you have nothing else to talk about since all you want is guns stored properly?
Hey! You don;t like the thread the quit trying to screw it up. Just move along nothing here for you.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
That's just one of many symptoms of bad parenting. My parents weren't perfect but when I was told shown toy guns and real guns and which ones I could play with, it was set in stone. I was told the consequences of touching the real ones without someone there and unlike parents of today, they followed through with it. Unlike kids of today, I did not want to disappoint my parents by breaking the rules.

Even if you store them safely, they will run across one in their day to day life and will need to know how to handle the situation. It's the lack of knowledge that will get them killed. It takes no motor skills to NOT touch it.

Secret things are interesting and that's when the lack of self control takes over. If they have gone through the basics of what to do when they see a gun unattended, then there is no curiosity. My first hunting trip in the 2nd grade cemented the fact that guns are deadly. A deer, much larger than me at the time, was dropped with a single shot from a .30-30 less than 50 feet from me. During the field dressing, my dad and the other guys explained the wound cavity and what the bullet did.

It's like you have blinders on and if you keep repeating "guns are the root of all evil" enough, someone will listen. Guns are a tool that can be used for good or evil. In your world, you haven't been exposed to the good side of guns.
I never ran across a gun ---ever, in my whole life, as a child or adult. Responsible people don't just leave guns laying around where kids or adults can get their hands on them.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Because you cannot legislate your way to zero deaths. This is a nation based on liberty, that means allowing people to make decisions for themselves. Their isn't a law that you could pass that would prevent accidents like the ones mentioned in this post from happening, this is just reality.
You are wrong. People in my state can get charged with manslaughter for ignorance(the owner for forgetting here his pistol was.) like this. They chose not too in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies