Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,959,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
It is exclusively for the highest-level thinkers in society. GOP/DNC solely rely on an uneducated populous and emotion to craft legislation, it is the antithesis of intellect.

People are scared to be free because most aren't mentally evolved and enlightened. You are taught and bred to do what your told, especially by the government and accept it.

The unknown is scary, once upon a time people thought Zeus threw lightning bolts, the world was flat, the Earth was the center of the universe and history exonerated those critical of it. People at the time made excuses, ostracized those people and condemned their beliefs, but remaining steadfast in the face of adversity is the critical element of propelling true high-level thinking among the rest of society.

Very nice explanation. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,399,432 times
Libertarianism not only involves people intellectually, but it also requires you to be active in your future - for you, your family, and your community. It does not abide in laziness. People act like if there weren't any taxes (income tax, for instance) that our education would collapse and hospitals would shut down. The fact, is that all of these things thrived way before the intro of our Income Tax. People rise up and are willing to chip in for their communities. Not all - but enough of us. Libertarianism isn't for everyone, because it forces us to be self-sufficient and charitable. This is something our government has sought to stiffle since WWI.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,861,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Libertarianism not only involves people intellectually, but it also requires you to be active in your future - for you, your family, and your community. It does not abide in laziness. People act like if there weren't any taxes (income tax, for instance) that our education would collapse and hospitals would shut down. The fact, is that all of these things thrived way before the intro of our Income Tax. People rise up and are willing to chip in for their communities. Not all - but enough of us. Libertarianism isn't for everyone, because it forces us to be self-sufficient and charitable. This is something our government has sought to stiffle since WWI.
I have always wondered if all this government regulation has made people more gullible and less educated. I have always heard people defend regulation on the grounds that "people would have to learn a lot of products before they were to buy them" like if that was a bad thing. The internet is relatively unregulated and regular user of the internet are comparatively more savvy than other consumers because we know there is the possibility of scams or shoddy products, so we look at things like review websites, security analysis websites, and anti-fraud websites and don't take claims at face value because we know there could be more to it and online companies thrive on a reputation for being trustworthy and honest.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:41 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,509,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I have always wondered if all this government regulation has made people more gullible and less educated. I have always heard people defend regulation on the grounds that "people would have to learn a lot of products before they were to buy them" like if that was a bad thing. The internet is relatively unregulated and regular user of the internet are comparatively more savvy than other consumers because we know there is the possibility of scams or shoddy products, so we look at things like review websites, security analysis websites, and anti-fraud websites and don't take claims at face value because we know there could be more to it and online companies thrive on a reputation for being trustworthy and honest.
Not to mention that a company that makes cheap products and trys to sell them at above market prices go out of business relatively quick, with or without government.

And groups like Consumer Union have been around for years. I would imagine plenty more would pop up if government regulation were eliminated. And Consumer Union actally has a motive to get it right, government does not.

The other I hear is food inspection/labeling. Why would a company want to sell poison food? Killing customers dos not create profit. And grocery stores would hire inspectors to make sure food is safe and labeled. Otherwise people will not buy it.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM

945 posts, read 966,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Not to mention that a company that makes cheap products and trys to sell them at above market prices go out of business relatively quick, with or without government.

And groups like Consumer Union have been around for years. I would imagine plenty more would pop up if government regulation were eliminated. And Consumer Union actally has a motive to get it right, government does not.

The other I hear is food inspection/labeling. Why would a company want to sell poison food? Killing customers dos not create profit. And grocery stores would hire inspectors to make sure food is safe and labeled. Otherwise people will not buy it.
Because you have to make a boogey man out of something to demonize it. People are curious, but if you use scare tactics to create fear of the unknown, then you are going to be successful at gaining power.

All government power stems from the fear of unknown and lack of education. The more and more things are uncovered and proven to be not so bad, the less the people who are less enlightened will get on board with deregulating.

It is a classic example, but a country like Switzerland is 30+ years ahead of the governing curve, with extremely good results and happy citizens as a whole.

In 2013, it is the greatest country in the world at the moment in my opinion :P

Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Libertarianism is not necessarily anti-intellectual, but it's certainly simplistic. (Maybe that's the same thing??) For example, the Libertarian says there's no need for minimum wage laws b/c employees can negotiate with their employers to get the wages they feel they are worth. And, there is no need for public accommodations laws because it's bad for business to refuse customers. Both of these statements have been shown to be false in actual practice. Just a couple of examples.

ETA: I just saw OhioRules' anti-food safety post. That's the same type of simplistic thinking. Prior to the enactment of these laws, plenty of tainted food was sold, b/c hey, that's good for business, too!

Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,767,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
It is exclusively for the highest-level thinkers in society. GOP/DNC solely rely on an uneducated populous and emotion to craft legislation, it is the antithesis of intellect.
Utter BS. Libertarianism is just as infested with pandering and appealing to simpletons as any other political establishment.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Libertarianism is not necessarily anti-intellectual, but it's certainly simplistic. (Maybe that's the same thing??) For example, the Libertarian says there's no need for minimum wage laws b/c employees can negotiate with their employers to get the wages they feel they are worth. And, there is no need for public accommodations laws because it's bad for business to refuse customers. Both of these statements have been shown to be false in actual practice. Just a couple of examples.

ETA: I just saw OhioRules' anti-food safety post. That's the same type of simplistic thinking. Prior to the enactment of these laws, plenty of tainted food was sold, b/c hey, that's good for business, too!
Ribertarians so sirry, they not even have riddle red books.

~Chairman Mao

Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM

945 posts, read 966,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Utter BS. Libertarianism is just as infested with pandering and appealing to simpletons as any other political establishment.

Your thirst for power over people and enslaving them to your ways is utterly disgusting.

"It is vain to do with more what can be done with fewer." - William of Occum (Occum's Razor)
'I know one thing: that I know nothing' - Socrates

Beware people of people like this poster. He advocates that he and his people know best for you, that complexity is the answer to life's problems.

He is a wolf in sheep's clothing, someone who has no wisdom or intellect but wants to inject influence into your life as if he knows best.

Libertarianism is clearly another of level of thinking you may or may not get to someday EGhost, but your self proclaimed CD handle shows that you are the polar opposite of the sage wisdom of Socrates.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Yeah, if you check U.S. Census data you will find wages inreased at faster rates Before minimum wage laws were around. But don'tlet facts mees you up, you're emotions are made up.

And it is bad for business to refuse customers. No law changes that.

Food safety? lols. I'm not anti-food safety. Shows how you statists think. I'm all about food safety. That's why I suggested having food safety inspectors.

P.S. People violate minimum wage laws all the time. Mostly white suburban kids. And people still get sick from food with government safety laws in place.

Maybe if anyone could prove the state has been successful at anything it has touched they could make a good argument for its existence. Government has not only failed at everything it ever tried, it oftentimes leads to misery, poverty, mass murder. Nice stuff like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies