Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Ellemint,
At it again today with your mindless agenda ?
What's mindless about it?
She's provided links and statistics.

I get it, you don't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
As if every statistic you gun fondlers post isn't from a pro-gun site.
I've never posted stats. At least when I do post them concerning something I am willing to defend them and not ignore questions about them.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:07 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
I'm not buying your stats either. Violence is violence regardless of the tool used. Here's what i came up with :

Most violent states per 100k , this takes in account all forms of violence

Most Violent States in America

National Average – 386.3 per 100,000
1. District of Columbia – 1,202.1
2. Tennessee – 608.2
3. Alaska – 606.5
4. South Carolina – 571.9
5. New Mexico – 567.5

Read more at Most Violent States in America*|*American Live Wire

Doesn't DC have some of the most strict gun laws ?
As you can see, the study I cited was about gun violence only. The focus of the study was the association between the strength of gun laws in a state and it's level of gun violence.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I've never posted stats. At least when I do post them concerning something I am willing to defend them and not ignore questions about them.
What questions?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Lowest education standards, lowest incomes, highest teen pregnancy, lowest graduation rates, highest poverty rates, etc.
OK, I see.

This is the second recent study to link gun deaths and firearms laws. An article in the Journal of the American Medical Association- Internal Medicien last month, showed that more firearm laws in a state were associated with lower rates of firearm deaths.

That study did take into account factors like poverty, unemployment, sex and race, education, population density, violent deaths unrelated to firearms and household firearm ownership.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:14 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I agree, but there is much much more...the op along with many other American's have become uninformed, and liberal by nature due to so many liberal college professors, pounding into them, that liberal is the way to go...they are actually brainwashed....
Sadly this seems to be the major demographic in the US at the moment. Most are just uninformed, quick to jump on the bandwagon that sporting rifles are the root cause of all evil not knowing or caring that there are millions of them out there already and in reality violent crime has been dropping in the past 10 years. Chances are these uninformed brainwashed people are standing next to one or more people that are concealed carrying when they are in line at the local Starbucks. Clueless sheeple that just follow what the crowd and media tell them too.

United States Concealed Carry Statistics

Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
As you can see, the study I cited was about gun violence only. The focus of the study was the association between the strength of gun laws in a state and it's level of gun violence.
Violence is violence regardless. The stats are flawed when you just take a cross section of it.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Violence is violence regardless. The stats are flawed when you just take a cross section of it.

Not if you're interested in the association between gun violence and gun laws. (!)

As the authors of the study state:

" In the aftermath of mass shootings and other gun-related tragedies, there is often a surge of interest on the part of community leaders, social-science researchers, and elected officials to root out the causes of gun violence in an effort to prevent such tragedies from occurring again. Any study into the causes of gun violence is necessarily complicated, however, as there are innumerable factors that contribute to the nature and prevalence of gun-related violence in any community.

Despite this complex web of factors that influence the rate of gun violence, this report finds a clear link between high levels of gun violence and weak state gun laws. Across the key indicators of gun violence that we analyzed, the 10 states with the weakest gun laws collectively have an aggregate level of gun violence that is more than twice as high—104 percent higher, in fact—than the 10 states with the strongest gun laws."

Before knocking the study, you might want to at least check it out:

http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...under-the-gun/

Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What's mindless about it?
She's provided links and statistics.

I get it, you don't like it.
In yesterday's thread myself and many others provided links, statistics and facts which were completely ignored. It's obvious that this poster is the one that doesn't like "it" , along with you.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
In yesterday's thread myself and many others provided links, statistics and facts which were completely ignored. It's obvious that this poster is the one that doesn't like "it" , along with you.
Says you. Now you're a mind-reader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies