Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

There are very few dangerous guns. There are a lot of dangerous people. Please remember that when somebody slashes you with a knife and takes your wallet. Guns are great equalizers, and as I am too old to get in a knife fight with some young thug, I would prefer to avoid him in the first place, but if necessary, I would prefer he brought a knife to a gunfight.

I have to ask how many of you that would restrict weapons have ever been in a real fight? I mean a fight where losing might mean you were severely injured or dead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
They have the cause-and-effect backwards. It isn't the weak gun laws that are causing the crime, IMO.

Those states are full of criminals regardless of gun laws, and therefore the non-criminals in those states want the freedom to own guns.
You think Alaska is full of criminals?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Alaska's issue's are mostly climate related. It's dark for months at a time, people congregate indoors and drink the weeks away. This is also very prevalent in the native people as well. Alaska truely is different than any other state.

And here is a fun picture for you, showing gun ownership and crime

Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
got anything that is actually considered data not from the biased brady gun control group?

I trust brady the same amount that you trust the NRA. but at least I read the brady site, as the best way to know your enemy is to learn about them. you obviously dont know that yet.

want to bet that there are more murders every year in chicago than there are in alaska?
Everytime there's a discussion about violence, republicans and conservatives have just one and only argument: Chicago.
Do you other arguments
Ok, do you realize that the thread was about States' murder rate?
Also, do you understand the difference between murder rate and number of homicides?
Anyway, if I was living in one of those States (thanks God I don't) I would be a little concerned about their high crime rates, rather than blathering BS about the Windy City... there are several cities in such states more violent than Chicago: never heard of New Orleans?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Alaska scores dead last in gun safety as scored by the Brady Campaign.

The study states that Alaska had the worst gun death rate in the nation.

It has more than double the average rate of suicide.

It has the highest gun homicide rate among children age 0 to 17, three times greater than the national average, and the 12th worst homicide rate among women.

More law-enforcement officers are killed by guns than in all but two other states.

Fact Sheet on Gun Violence in Alaska is here:
http://www.americanprogress.org/wp-c...nViolence1.pdf
I debunked this before...

Alaska had 29 gun homicides in 2011. The rate was 3.96 [29/731,449]. California had 1790 gun homicides in 2011. Their rate was 4.71. [1790/38,041,430]

FBI — Table 20
California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Alaska QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The top 10 gun-friendly states:
1. Alaska
2. Arizona
3. Florida
4. Idaho
5. Kentucky
6. Montana
7. New Mexico
8. Texas
9. Utah
10. Wyoming

Only 3 states overlap between states with high gun violence and the fewest restrictive gun laws. It has nothing to do with the ease of acquiring guns, but the demographics of those states. As was stated before, the most gun-violent states have the highest concentrations of Blacks and Hispanics, who are statistically more likely to commit crime with guns or belong to a gang, which explains this correlation.

And pointing this out now makes me racist, but it's simply an uncomfortable fact.
Define "gun-friendly." Do you have a link for that?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
a city with 200 people in it and having 1 murder in 1 year would have a higher rate than chicago.

but facts are facts, chicago does in fact have a higher rate of murders than all of alaska does. not per capita, but actual.

would you rather live in chicago where your possibility of getting murdered is better than in the whole of alaska?

I sure as heck would not. at least in alaska I would be able to be armed and protect myself, since the cops dont even have to show up when i call 911.
You're just cherry-picking data.
What if I compare Alaska's murder rate with Hawaii's one?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I debunked this before...

Alaska had 29 gun homicides in 2011. The rate was 3.96 [29/731,449]. California had 1790 gun homicides in 2011. Their rate was 4.71. [1790/38,041,430]

FBI — Table 20
California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Alaska QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
The study I cited did not use only gun homicide data.. They had 10 indicators of gun violence:

The data analyzed in this report relate to the following 10 indicators of gun violence:
Overall firearm deaths in 2010
Overall firearm deaths from 2001 through 2010
Firearm homicides in 2010
Firearm suicides in 2010
Firearm homicides among women from 2001 through 2010
Firearm deaths among children ages 0 to 17, from 2001 through 2010
Law-enforcement agents feloniously killed with a firearm from 2002 through 2011
Aggravated assaults with a firearm in 2011
Crime-gun export rates in 2009
Percentage of crime guns with a short “time to crime” in 2009

America Under the Gun | Center for American Progress

Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There are very few dangerous guns. There are a lot of dangerous people. Please remember that when somebody slashes you with a knife and takes your wallet. Guns are great equalizers, and as I am too old to get in a knife fight with some young thug, I would prefer to avoid him in the first place, but if necessary, I would prefer he brought a knife to a gunfight.

I have to ask how many of you that would restrict weapons have ever been in a real fight? I mean a fight where losing might mean you were severely injured or dead?
Of course if everyone carried a gun there would be utopia, right?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Alaska's issue's are mostly climate related. It's dark for months at a time, people congregate indoors and drink the weeks away. This is also very prevalent in the native people as well. Alaska truely is different than any other state.

And here is a fun picture for you, showing gun ownership and crime
I wonder why Alaska has the highest rate of gun homicide in the entire nation for children aged 0 to 19.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies