Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I believe I've mentioned why twice now....sorry you can't get it.

It's the opinion of many that hospitals are raking it in hand over fist.
Even if it's not that extreme, I'd say they are better in a better position to do so than the taxpayer.
Like I said before.....it's just an idea and even though mine may not be worthwhile, new ideas are what is needed.
Knock off the snark!

Since you're so adamant about this, and didn't like my first response and wish to continue with this subject, here's the reason the model of the old hospital diploma schools of nursing won't work for medical residency:

It's comparing apples to cats! The old diploma nursing schools took students straight out of high school, gave them a few classes, and put them to work on the floors 30-40 hours a week. They charged tuition for the privilege of working in the hospital. The students most certainly did NOT have to agree to work in the hospital as an RN for a few years after graduation.

Even if it's the opinion of many that hospitals are raking it in hand over fist, that doesn't mean "the many" are correct. Most hospitals are either private non-profit, or they are government run, e.g. county hospitals, state university hospitals, or part of a non-profit educational instutition, e.g. Vanderbilt U Hospital, etc.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 04-05-2013 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
I consider myself properly chastised by one who obviously knows snark when she sees it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're welcome! You can now go back to your dogs!

.and......

............. here's the reason the model of the old hospital diploma schools of nursing won't work for medical residency:
I do not recall suggesting hospital backed residencies should be patterned exactly the same way those 'old hospital diploma schools of nursing' were operated.
Ideas and imagination Katiana.....that's how new things come about, not being mired in the past.

Old 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I consider myself properly chastised by one who obviously knows snark when she sees it.

I do not recall suggesting hospital backed residencies should be patterned exactly the same way those 'old hospital diploma schools of nursing' were operated.
Ideas and imagination Katiana.....that's how new things come about, not being mired in the past.
Those old diploma schools are certainly mired in the past. Most of them still in existence are in the eastern US, the "old country" as I like to call it. Even there, they are quite different from the old model of say, 1940 when my mom went to one.

There is no way most hospitals, probably not even for-profit hospitals, could afford to feed, house and pay physicians, like the old diploma schools did (for a small tuition fee). Those old diploma nursing students were doing work that is generally performed by CNAs today. That is the level of education required. Hospitals were far less "high-tech" back then. I agree with thinking out of the box, but that idea will just not work.

BTW, I am an RN, and I"m from Pennsylvania.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I agree with thinking out of the box, but that idea will just not work
Well, I guess if you say so then that is that!

Quote:
BTW, I am an RN, and I"m from Pennsylvania
Yes. I think most regulars here are .....well aware ....of that.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess if you say so then that is that!

Yes. I think most regulars here are .....well aware ....of that.
I know they won't work b/c that is a very outmoded model for nursing education, let alone medical residency, where it was NEVER done (at least not in the last, oh, 100 years or so).

Is there something wrong with being an RN from PA? I thought may you didn't know that nursing is an area of expertise of mine, and you thought I was just making stuff up. You certainly don't respect someone's knowledge.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I know they won't work b/c that is a very outmoded model for nursing education, let alone medical residency, where it was NEVER done (at least not in the last, oh, 100 years or so).

Is there something wrong with being an RN from PA? I thought may you didn't know that nursing is an area of expertise of mine, and you thought I was just making stuff up. You certainly don't respect someone's knowledge.
I respect knowledge and I respect opinions and I know the difference between the two.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I respect knowledge and I respect opinions and I know the difference between the two.
Again, if I responded to such in kind, I would be the one to get the infraction. What did I post that was opinion? Please be specific.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
It's comparing apples to cats!

Old 04-05-2013, 03:17 PM

They look like my daughter's cat, Jacques! He was a stray from Denver. I always knew his mother was a prostitute.

Old 04-05-2013, 03:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Took the photo in Ithaca. Wasn't peering in too much, but the cats made me come closer to the house. I like the color match of the cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies