Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:19 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Just where does this level of entitlement come from? According to little Suzy, her failure to get into top colleges is due to her lack of racial diversity, failure to start a "fake charity," and her neglectful parents.

"For starters, had I known two years ago what I know now, I would have gladly worn a headdress to school. . . . . I also probably should have started a fake charity . . . As the youngest of four daughters, I noticed long ago that my parents gave up on parenting me . . .I should've done what I knew was best—go to Africa, scoop up some suffering child, take a few pictures, and write my essays about how spending that afternoon with Kinto changed my life."
Suzy Lee Weiss: To (All) the Colleges That Rejected Me - WSJ.com

She certainly has a future as the next Anne Coulter.
While she is certainly whining, she is correct about the race and volunteering would have helped her admission chances.

<shrug>

....and water is wet. That's how things are.

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-04-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 04:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
It's Ok Dale, just another example of how liberals can't tell the difference between real accomplishments and made up "accomplishments". Remember those are the same people who think Obama is the greatest president ever.
Obama is the greatest president ever, so, what exactly is your point??

Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh, lookie! It's someone who can't recognize the differences between educated and smart.
Oh, so you gave Coulter's biography to prove that she is educated but not smart. I agree with you there.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:37 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Maddow IS smart.
She is also an intellectually dishonest truth manipulator.

You can be both.

Smart does not equal integrity. Or competence. I bet Obama is really smart.
He is still an incompetent jackass.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Oh, so now you believe that education equals brains? Interesting!!!!

According to your logic, Maddow is brilliant, especially in comparison to Coulter's educational background that while good certainly falls short of Stanford and Cambridge:

"Rachel Maddow attended Stanford University. While a freshman, she was outed by the college newspaper when an interview with her was published by the student newspaper before she could tell her parents.[18] Maddow earned a degree in public policy at Stanford in 1994.[19] At graduation she was awarded the John Gardner Fellowship.[20] She was also the recipient of a Rhodes Scholarship and began her postgraduate study in 1995 at Lincoln College, Oxford. . . . In 2001, she earned a Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) in politics at Oxford University.[23] Her thesis is titled HIV/AIDS and Health Care Reform in British and American Prisons and her supervisor was Dr. Lucia Zedner."
Rachel Maddow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who would have thought that Dale would come out as a closet Maddow supporter.

You certainly have in this thread.
Well said and documented!

Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Maddow IS smart.
She is also an intellectually dishonest truth manipulator.

You can be both.

I'm sure you wish this ^^^ were true.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:56 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
The piece is SATIRE. She's making fun of the college admissions process, and the crazy things students go through to get into an ivy league school. Lots of the things she mentioned are take offs on popular wisdom about what you have to do to be attractive to an Ivy League school. It's a joke....

Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I'm sure you wish this ^^^ were true.
I don't have to wish it.

I have lots of brilliant friends who have no grasp of reality simply because of lack of real world experience.

You can sit and pontificate all you want. But until you are in the trenches, you have no effin' clue how the real world works or how policy translates into reality.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:57 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The piece is SATIRE. She's making fun of the college admissions process, and the crazy things students go through to get into an ivy league school. Lots of the things she mentioned are take offs on popular wisdom about what you have to do to be attractive to an Ivy League school. It's a joke....
Lamenting the fact that she was rejected from multiple Ivies, she sits down and writes a piece that ridicules what it takes to get into the schools that she was dying to get into, schools that others do in fact get into?

Yeah, you are a lot more generous in your reading of her motives than I. Her ridicule is sour-grapes born of entitlement, not good satire.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
You can be both.
No, you cannot.

Quote:
One cannot be both smart AND an incompetent jackass. The two are mutually exclusive. So... just give the man his props already, it won't kill you.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies