U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM

11,881 posts, read 10,352,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This story hit my radio news yesterday with some of the strikers offering priceless statements. They were complaining that it's so hard now to find a job - one said she had been at Burger King for four years because she hasn't been able to find a different job.

It's hard to find a job - surplus of labor - and that's a reason to increase wages?????

Forget Econ 101 these people need Econ 1.
Corporate profits are at all-time highs, CEO pay has reached astronomical records, middle-class jobs have been shipped out of the country methodically the past few decades to take advantage of child and near-slave labor overseas, the rate of college-educated workers is at an all-time high despite the cost of an education being at an all-time high, the minimum wage and wages in general have been stagnant while inflation and the price of food and gas continue to eat more and more of the working class budget.

The minimum wage would be $10.67 if it kept even with inflation the past 40 years.

Wal-Mart is the largest employer in our Welfare-system. McDonald's is #2. They actually encourage their employees to apply for Food-Stamps as they know the wages they offer are not livable and employees will meet the Federal Food Stamp income guidelines.

And you think that it is healthy to keep wages stagnant in these times when consumerism makes and breaks our Economy? The system you are defending is not sustainable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 01:10 PM

977 posts, read 649,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Corporate profits are at all-time highs, CEO pay has reached astronomical records, middle-class jobs have been shipped out of the country methodically the past few decades to take advantage of child and near-slave labor overseas, the rate of college-educated workers is at an all-time high despite the cost of an education being at an all-time high, the minimum wage and wages in general have been stagnant while inflation and the price of food and gas continue to eat more and more of the working class budget.

The minimum wage would be $10.67 if it kept even with inflation the past 40 years.

Wal-Mart is the largest employer in our Welfare-system. McDonald's is #2. They actually encourage their employees to apply for Food-Stamps as they know the wages they offer are not livable and employees will meet the Federal Food Stamp income guidelines.

And you think that it is healthy to keep wages stagnant in these times when consumerism makes and breaks our Economy? The system you are defending is not sustainable.
So profits are up. And? You get paid what the market dictates. If you don't like it, leave. or go get trained in something you can earn more money doing. No one told you to take the job.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
So profits are up. And? You get paid what the market dictates. If you don't like it, leave. or go get trained in something you can earn more money doing. No one told you to take the job.
No offense but I'd rather not have a discussion with you if that's the only thing you got from my post. You seem to be the type of person that hates welfare but has no problem with the largest private employer in The United States paying their employees and setting their hours specifically low enough to qualify for Government welfare programs...and then getting tax-breaks and corporate welfare themselves out the wazoo.

I am paid well, but I understand the bigger picture. It is collusion between Government and the private corporate sector, and it is destroying our economy.

You may think that workers will continue to work, work, work while their quality of life deteriorates but history has proved that this never happens. All these low-skilled workers you look down on so much are MUCH more important to the economy than you can imagine. The Lower-Class and Middle-Class are the spenders. Consumerism is the single most important aspect of our economy. The tiny fraction in the Upper-Class mostly hordes to give to their children and children's children, whom would not survive in today's Economy without it.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-05-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-05-2013, 01:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,980 posts, read 41,810,577 times
Quote:
And… Because none should ever question what the market dictates.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:18 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,980 posts, read 41,810,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
This story hit my radio news yesterday with some of the strikers offering priceless statements. They were complaining that it's so hard now to find a job - one said she had been at Burger King for four years because she hasn't been able to find a different job.

It's hard to find a job - surplus of labor - and that's a reason to increase wages?????

Forget Econ 101 these people need Econ 1.
Yes, there's a surplus of labor, I understand economics. But I don't object to the lowest wages being raised anyway as long as the businesses are still making profits. It's not a lack of understanding of economics, but someone having different assumptions and values as you.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM

1,247 posts, read 2,810,588 times
Look at the work they do. NO SKILLS NEEDED. Heck, with McDonalds, they used to hire kids with mental disabilities to do this work. I'ts not worth more than minimum wage. These jobs are for the people who need to learn the skills to get livable wage jobs.

If you have not learned how to get a higher paying job, then get 2 minimum wage jobs. that will get you closer to the 15 and hour feeling

Old 04-05-2013, 01:24 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,972,115 times
Default Fast food workers strike, demand $15 an hour LOL

Fast food joints have been abandoned, you can actually go into them and make your own burgers, Have It Your Way"

1976 Burger King Have It Your Way commercial - YouTube

Old 04-05-2013, 01:32 PM

9,442 posts, read 5,797,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
There are places in the world where fast food workers already do make $15 per hour.
There are places in the US where they do too, but they don't start at $15/hour and have to be WORTH more than minimum wage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Working the till at McDonald's requires more brainpower than most middle management positions, in addition to a host of other skills.
Spoken like someone who is working at McDonalds and is not in management.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:33 PM

977 posts, read 649,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
No offense but I'd rather not have a discussion with you if that's the only thing you got from my post. You seem to be the type of person that hates welfare but has no problem with the largest private employer in The United States paying their employees and setting their hours specifically low enough to qualify for welfare programs.

I am paid well, but I understand the bigger picture. It is collusion between Government and the private corporate sector, and it is destroying our economy.
No offense taken. In the future you can put me on ignore if I bother you. I simply exercised by prerogative as a poster and responded to another post. I did not expect a response.

No one makes people take the jobs they take. And the part of the 'hate Walmart' crap that bothers me is none of these Walmart bashers ever say a damn word about Wendy's, McDonald's, Denny's, 7-Eleven or any other service employer. People that have a problem with Walmart are upset because Walmart makes big money. And don't pretend to know me. Anyone can be in need of welfare anytime in their life. But it should not be forever. So no. I do not have a problem with welfare. YOU, OTOH, think that companies, I mean Walmart, should pay people whatever YOU think is appropriate. And get educated on the hours of work. Many companies keep people pegged at around 30 hours per week and call it full time. Our economy has gone from agrarian to industrial/manufacturing to information/tech and service. If anything has eroded our ability to earn it would be people not retraining to adjust and technology replacing people. Not Walmart. The onus is on the people to get up to speed. Blaming Walmart is ridiculous.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
No offense taken. In the future you can put me on ignore if I bother you. I simply exercised by prerogative as a poster and responded to another post. I did not expect a response.

No one makes people take the jobs they take. And the part of the 'hate Walmart' crap that bothers me is none of these Walmart bashers ever say a damn word about Wendy's, McDonald's, Denny's, 7-Eleven or any other service employer. People that have a problem with Walmart are upset because Walmart makes big money. And don't pretend to know me. Anyone can be in need of welfare anytime in their life. But it should not be forever. So no. I do not have a problem with welfare. YOU, OTOH, think that companies, I mean Walmart, should pay people whatever YOU think is appropriate. And get educated on the hours of work. Many companies keep people pegged at around 30 hours per week and call it full time. Our economy has gone from agrarian to industrial/manufacturing to information/tech and service. If anything has eroded our ability to earn it would be people not retraining to adjust and technology replacing people. Not Walmart. The onus is on the people to get up to speed. Blaming Walmart is ridiculous.
I do agree with the bolded, and our Education system has left so many people behind in this respect. With the internet, people can learn a trade or a skill and expand on that. I believe we are in a very big transition period.

I don't have a problem with Wal-Mart specifically. I have a problem with any corporation that colludes with politicians to influence laws that have negative effects on society at large.

But, if a Corporation is seeing record profit's shouldn't some of that be passed along to the workers? Is the CEO that important to every aspect of a company? Like the saying goes, "Even Henry Ford knew he had to pay his workers enough to afford his product". Besides, good morale increases productivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies