Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
My son has been at his p/t job for over a year.
While he makes more than min wage he does not make $15/hour.

You would have to at least tack on the $15 to everyone currently working there to keep the same difference.
That article does not take that into account.

Nope, they don't because they think the person who has no skills/responsibilities should make equal to the people that do. That is why this issue is such an insult to skilled working people. They want this 15 bucks an hour, but they expect everyone else to stay at their wage after the increase?

I had the same problem when I was in college. I worked at a video store, and was a shift manager. I was paid 1-2 dollars more an hour than the associates. Then, they raised the minimum wage in the state a large step and it brought it up to what I was making. The owner didn't want to give us all raises, but we were all going to quit because of it. Finally, he caved and gave the shift managers a raise of .25 cents above minimum. Many still quit (but a lot of us didn't have the option, we had bills and school to pay as well as the problems with scheduling so while BS, it was the only practical option to work and go to school). So, basically... we got the short end of the stick all because a bunch of idiots in the state combined with the morons who approved it thought they were doing people a favor.

The stupid thing was that prices went up rather quickly after that and those of us in that situation actually lost buying power.

These people just don't think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Heck if they raised min wage to $15 I'd go get a FF job.
Not me man. Been there, done that. In high school. Even if they raised it to $20/hour I wouldn't work in fast food. Unless I was in desperation for a job, maybe then I would. Although I'd probably rather work two part-time jobs than one fast food job.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:42 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Some of you have no clue of what today's Economy is like.

For clarification, the discussion is McDonalds. Not the minimum wage. What's being shown is that there's money in the margins to greatly increase the pay of the average McDonalds worker.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatAnc View Post
I will gladly pay that much for something I don't even eat so slaves aka workers can have a decent wage.

You going to pay extra on top of that so all of the people who are making around $15/hr now can get raises too? Or... do you think they should make the same?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
LOL @ gullible HuffPo readers-

[HUFFPO "STUDY" UPDATE]
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story misrepresented Arnobio Morelix as a researcher for the University of Kansas. Morelix is registered as a undergraduate student at the university, according to University of Kansas School of Business Communications Director Austin Falley.

Widely-cited ‘study’ of McDonald’s wages by ‘researcher’ was written by an undergrad
The student’s scribblings have not been published in any of the top-tier economics journals (or anywhere else as far as we can tell), though the Huffpo article included an explanation about how Morelix arrived at his findings. Blogger Tom Maguire dismantled the analysis and found that a closer calculation would be a 26% increase in prices. Furthermore, he raises caveats about the elasticity of demand, and asks whether labor costs at franchises are similar to those at corporate-owned restaurants.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatAnc View Post
I will gladly pay that much for something I don't even eat so slaves aka workers can have a decent wage.
If you care so much, stop in and leave some money on the counter, but it is between mcdonalds and its workers where wages are set.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:45 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

For clarification, the discussion is McDonalds. Not the minimum wage. What's being shown is that there's money in the margins to greatly increase the pay of the average McDonalds worker.
The study is flawed. It did not cover anything but doubling the starting salary.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
In some states, what you pay your employee, is basically the same you pay in terms of those liabilities.

I knew many farmers who hired illegals to do work because it was too expensive to pay legally. Farmer could only afford a $10/hr wage legally due to it being basically $20/hr due to the liabilities and regulations, so he would pay $15/hr illegal and save $5/hr on the deal. Of course, us kids working the farms at the time had to be legal (if we wanted our work experience documented) and so we made $7/hr.

Funny how the low pay wasn't due to "greedy" farmers, but all because of "greedy" government programs.
Sounds like you played right into the farmers hands if they got paid that and you got paid $7. Maybe he should ask for more Gov subsidy's for his farm.

Anyway back on topic, I dont think that people see the bigger picture when you just raise McDonalds burger flippers to $15ph. It not only has a knockon affect on that job but many others that are in similar industries. Prices of goods will rise. Why work a job at a printing shop when you can go work at McDonalds for $15 an hour, now the other higher paying jobs have to try and compete and youre probably back in the same situation.

When times got very tough for me I worked as a burger flipper for a 2nd job at DQ for $8.50ph starting off. I worked hard and often and finished on $11ph which I think is pretty damn good for flipping burgers. I had to work hard and show some sort of dedication and consistency for my pay rise though.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post

Great, go start a fast food business, become a giant in the industry because of your successful practices and then... pay your employee's what you think they deserve. Then... you can be the hero to humanity by providing high pay for low skilled work.

Go do it... put your "theory" to practice and get back to us.

Everything makes perfect sense when you are spending other peoples money!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Sounds like you played right into the farmers hands if they got paid that and you got paid $7. Maybe he should ask for more Gov subsidy's for his farm.
Not at all, notice that I needed "legal documentation" to show I was "legally working" because I wanted that to be on my record as "work experience" (I was in my last year of high school). I could have gotten paid under the table (and actually did in previous years) for the same the illegals were making, that wasn't the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies