Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 10:19 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,947,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
So someone who is wiping off tables should get paid the same as the guy that is managing them, or is a PC tech (requiring extensive hardware and software troubleshooting), etc...

Great way to insure everyone becomes table wipers.
Why not? Look how much our employer's are paying us to waste time on C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 AM

45,223 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatAnc View Post
15$ is a livable wage so those making 15$ are already making enough.

No its not. Its a civilized society issue when capitalists treat people like slaves.. Wage slavery is all this is. I might stop by tomorrow I get paid then. Gonna enjoy a good burger...get some more monopoly game pieces
A civilized society allows parties to voluntarily negotiate wages, contracts etc. between themselves without the threat of violent government intervention as you suggest.

Speaking of slavery, check your pay stub and see how much $ rendered up to your plantation boss the fedguv before you get yours.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Some of you have no clue of what today's Economy is like.

For clarification, the discussion is McDonalds. Not the minimum wage. What's being shown is that there's money in the margins to greatly increase the pay of the average McDonalds worker.
Money in the margins?

The study doesn't show that.

The study simply says that currently, at company-owned stores, that 17.1% of the operating expenses go to payroll and benefits of the employees at those company-owned stores. It doesn't say that the 82.9% of the operating expenses are fluff. The study requires those expenses to remain unchanging, and for the stores to charge 17.1% more for the food they sell to increase the payroll and benefits, ostensibly by 17.1% more. As has been stated, the study is flawed in multiple ways.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 AM

87 posts, read 82,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"by a University of Kansas student."

Hmm, if he is so smart, why is he still a student?
Maybe because it takes 4 years to graduate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I find this comment ironic as he is espousing communist ideals that could never provide the "good burger" and "monopoly game" prize game that he is claiming he is going to enjoy.

Nat, there would be no McDonalds in your communist ideal society. Nobody would take the risks or aspire to be more than menial labor because such risk/effort/responsibility would not provide anything worth it.

If you pay everyone the same, then everyone will do the easiest and least responsible job they can find.
I don't want communism and I don't want everyone making the same thing. I want EVERYONE to have at least a livable wage. 15$ is that. Now if you can make more go for it. But it should be a starting wage of 15$ an hour. I am anti communist and anti capitalist.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
While I believe everyone should be making a livable wage, and let's face it the current federal minimum wage is not it, I think $15/hour working fast food is too much. That is not too far off from what I make an hour & believe me, my job requires a hell of a lot more smarts, work, time & effort. In fact, I should be getting a raise, lol.
Right there is your unintended consequences. Burger flipper gets a raise, now all the salaries above need one too.

If you want to give that burger flipper an extra 68 cents for every one you buy, nothing stopping you.

I don't care to have MY hard earned money go to support a loser whose only career goal is to punch buttons into a machine.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM

52,252 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Not buy the numbers here.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatAnc View Post
I am 28. Got first job when I was 15 worked at 3 different fast food stores all paid minimum wage NEVER got more than 35 hours a week.

Yes. Livable wage. Either pay people livable wage or pay for them to attend school to get a skill...its all a catch 22 you either work to make ends meet but sure in the hell can't afford college with the prices they are now and to afford it you need a loan which you get tied into for the next 25 years at outrageous interest rates or you struggle to make ends meet...capitalism is the worst economic system ranks right up there with communism.Exploit the workers and get rich doing it.The american way.
Shows you how times change.

I started working as a teen in the 70's.

Let me ask you..were there other adults working alongside you or were they all teens with only the manager being the adult ?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good Lord yes. You bump up min wage to $15/hour and I'd make more at McDonald's than teaching Math in the public schools here in Texas.

Starting teacher salary in Texas is $27K at the low end. That comes out to $18/hour for 187 days.
$15/hour for "Would you like fries with that" or $18/hour to deal with 160 unruly kids and mandated state testing and hours of work at home.
Yep, but they will counter with the "idealist" belief that people will still aspire for more complex jobs and focuses in order to fulfill themselves.

My response is to that is... "I would rather do a mindless job of no effort, get paid, then on my personal time do all the fulfillment seeking I like" My work I could do without thinking, heck... some jobs are basically sitting doing nothing, I could read, study, etc... all the things I wanted and get paid the good money for it!

Problem is, all of the things we have (technology, entertainment, etc...) today would not exist in their "utopian" society. Heck, it is like these kids can't be bothered to open up a book and see how societies exactly like they want turned out.

Idiocracy, that is what we have become.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:24 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I would gladly pay 68 cents more so people get a better salary and don't need SNAP to live.
If that were true, you would have written a check to McDonalds Corp. for the extra, every time you stopped in for a burger.

But you haven't been, have you.

So much for that liberal lie.

(yawn)

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM

87 posts, read 82,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Shows you how times change.

I started working as a teen in the 70's.

Let me ask you..were there other adults working alongside you or were they all teens with only the manager being the adult ?
Mixture of teens and adults working beside me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies