U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:55 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,396,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Lot of Cert warriors running around too who pay to take these classes to get their microsoft and cisco certs but don't even know how to crack open a box and swap out the memory. They are fun to mess with.
Sure they are, but one thing I have learned is not to judge a book by its cover. We had a CCNP apply for a job for us and had no experience, some of the engineers were scoffing at his resume, but he made a couple of our engineers look silly in the interview when they asked him a question, and he took them to the device and showed them what he was talking about concerning a hardware issue.

Thing is, you can't tell if someone is qualified by the paper, you need to talk to them and see what they know and can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:56 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,674,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I still debate over whether I perceived McDonalds as reallly really good as a kid...and that I realized it was garbage as my pallet developed as an adult. Or that it really was good as a kid and it just sucks now.
That's funny because I was thinking the same thing after I broke down and went in for a Big Mac here a few days ago. Hadn't had one for a long time. Now I know why. lol I used to wolf those things down back in the day though and they were awesome but then I wonder was I just wasted the whole time back then?? lol

Old 07-31-2013, 09:57 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,674,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
bull

the fact is the UNSKILLED worker (even a new guy) will be making what a partially skilled worker is making...

should the best mechanic be making the salary of the worst mechanic, just because his title is mechanic

liberals never use their brains
Liberals want everybody in a union to achieve what you just described.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,396,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
OMG how funny. You said it.
I scoffed at all those "certs" because all it meant was you studied and passed a test.

"Do you have Java certification ?"
"No sir but I did implement Java 114 on the Linux platform with a team so I'm well aware of the inner and outer working of the Java language."
"Sorry, we're looking for Java programmers with certs."

^^^^True story
It is hit and miss. We once had to explain to our HR department that the CCIE they were rejecting was qualified to interview for the position (they were claiming they needed a CCNA. A CCNA is two certs below that of a CCIE).

Certs can be useful, they cut out the "experience claimed" people who worked for a small shop and only turned the router on and put a config with static routes, yet think they know their head from their arse when it concerns implementing dynamic routing protocols in a large environment.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:39 PM

2,800 posts, read 1,761,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The turnover rate for fast food is 145% for a reason. Nobody stays in FF for long because it is just a starter job. You can make more money mowing lawns than you can flipping burgers.

Employee Turnover is a $22 Billion Dollar Problem - FohBoh
You think it would be easier for fast food restaurants if they paid better then they would not have such a problem with turnover but employers want both low turnover and pay a low wage but they can't have both.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:47 AM

33,046 posts, read 21,944,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Do not underestimate what some of those fast food workers are making..
It's not uncommon for a GM to be bringing home about 2 thousand a month just in Bonus..
I was bring home 1,600 a month in the early 90's..

Hard work.. Most simply can not do it..

50% or less would not last a week at Macdonalds...

you are out there busting your balls dealing with a bunch off *******s that think they are better then you..

There's the rub, I flipped burgers one summer and decided I never ever wanted to manage a bunch of *******s that think they are better than me.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:00 AM

6,396 posts, read 4,394,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It is hit and miss. We once had to explain to our HR department that the CCIE they were rejecting was qualified to interview for the position (they were claiming they needed a CCNA. A CCNA is two certs below that of a CCIE).

Certs can be useful, they cut out the "experience claimed" people who worked for a small shop and only turned the router on and put a config with static routes, yet think they know their head from their arse when it concerns implementing dynamic routing protocols in a large environment.

LOL. I remember manually programming Micom Netrunners, and Bay Networks AN routers. I also installed and setup Newbridge MaInstreet 3624 Channelized T-1's and also setup RS-232 muxes.

Yeah, I am old school.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:46 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,042,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That's funny because I was thinking the same thing after I broke down and went in for a Big Mac here a few days ago. Hadn't had one for a long time. Now I know why. lol I used to wolf those things down back in the day though and they were awesome but then I wonder was I just wasted the whole time back then?? lol

I never did like Big Macs. Something about that "special sauce" that just doesn't do it for me. Double cheeseburgers on the other hand.....

Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM

4,015 posts, read 5,048,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
do you realize that $15 in NYC is like $7 in texas?

whats LOL about it? NYC is extremely expensive and the job is demanding
So move out of New York if the work is too hard and too tough. Can't move out of NY, then quit complaining.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM

5,471 posts, read 3,203,494 times
[quote=no1brownsfan;30778435]I never did like Big Macs. Something about that "special sauce" that just doesn't do it for me.

Two all beef patties,special sauce,lettice,cheese,pickles,onions on a sesame seed bun says coronary grubbery...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies