Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,156,159 times

Advertisements

While I believe everyone should be making a livable wage, and let's face it the current federal minimum wage is not it, I think $15/hour working fast food is too much. That is not too far off from what I make an hour & believe me, my job requires a hell of a lot more smarts, work, time & effort. In fact, I should be getting a raise, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,769,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's a flaw in this student's proposal.

He claims expenses would stay the same.

If you double the salary you have to double the employer tax liability as well.
Employers pay a percentage to the government, not a fixed dollar amount.
Additionally, his figures only considered company-owned stores. 80% of McDonald's restaurants are franchise-owned, not company-owned. So that's another problem with his proposal.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,237,900 times
My son has been at his p/t job for over a year.
While he makes more than min wage he does not make $15/hour.

You would have to at least tack on the $15 to everyone currently working there to keep the same difference.
That article does not take that into account.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
And of course we all know that it's unlikely that the wages for those positions will increase.
So you're at the job for a year and making $10/hour.
New guy comes in and he starts off at $15/hour.

What are you going to do ?
Why quit and go down the block and become the "new guy" making $15/hour too.

How much experience in business does this "student" have who did the study that Huffpost so proudly put on their website ?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,918,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's a flaw in this student's proposal.

He claims expenses would stay the same.

If you double the salary you have to double the employer tax liability as well.
Employers pay a percentage to the government, not a fixed dollar amount.
In some states, what you pay your employee, is basically the same you pay in terms of those liabilities.

I knew many farmers who hired illegals to do work because it was too expensive to pay legally. Farmer could only afford a $10/hr wage legally due to it being basically $20/hr due to the liabilities and regulations, so he would pay $15/hr illegal and save $5/hr on the deal. Of course, us kids working the farms at the time had to be legal (if we wanted our work experience documented) and so we made $7/hr.

Funny how the low pay wasn't due to "greedy" farmers, but all because of "greedy" government programs.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM

Starting salaries for teachers in Texas with BS degrees is $27K-$30K.
$15/hour working 40 hours gives you a $31K salary.

Someone who didn't finish HS, doesn't speak English and cleans tables would be making more than a college degreed new teacher in Texas.

What is wrong with this picture ?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:36 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,897,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I worked for the minimum at age 14 when the rate was 64 cents per hour.

I did roofing on real 40 foot wooden ladders too at 16 for about 5 bucks an hour which beat the hell out of the minimum. Hated those ladders for the bounce in the middle when you carried a whole bundle of shingles up.

I think it's a riot these kids thing flipping burgers is work...

Back in my day if a kid got a car it was a 200 dollar car and that kid needed to spend time getting dirty and spend money for just parts.

Kids these days don't need a car and beside their driving sucks. They can just barely manage automatic shift
None of that addresses middle-aged mom's comment that the minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation.

I really don't care what you did as a child. Back then, there was a manufacturing base in the country too. Now, we have grown-ups earning the minimum wage who then need to be subsidized by SNAP and Medicaid. The fact that the minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation is the issue. I don't see why I should subsidize McDonald's, WalMart and other large company's labor costs.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 AM

87 posts, read 81,898 times
I will gladly pay that much for something I don't even eat so slaves aka workers can have a decent wage.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:39 AM

Hey..$15/hour would pay more annually then being a college degreed new teacher in Texas.

Cleaning tables and asking "Would you like fries with that" puts more money in your pocket then a college degree and a class full of misbehaving kids.

Heck..where do I sign up ?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatAnc View Post
I will gladly pay that much for something I don't even eat so slaves aka workers can have a decent wage.
Heck if they raised min wage to $15 I'd go get a FF job.

LOL..McD's was my first job in life and could end up being my last job in life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies