Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 AM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
None of that addresses middle-aged mom's comment that the minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation.

I really don't care what you did as a child. Back then, there was a manufacturing base in the country too. Now, we have grown-ups earning the minimum wage who then need to be subsidized by SNAP and Medicaid. The fact that the minimum wage hasn't kept up with inflation is the issue. I don't see why I should subsidize McDonald's, WalMart and other large company's labor costs.
What is really funny is McDonald's has protesters at their stores yet not ONE person on here has shown what they actually do pay. or any other fast food worker.

I'd bet it is MORE then the federal minimum wage rate.

McDonald’s Pay Scale
  • Cashier: They are paid by the hour. Your pay range will be between your state’s minimum wage and $11 an hour.
  • Crew Member: Paid by the hour. Your pay range will be between minimum wage and $10 an hour.
  • Shift Manager: You are paid by the hour. Expect to be paid between minimum wage and $15 an hour.
  • Maintenance: You are paid by the hour. Expect to be paid between minimum wage and $14 an hour.
  • Trainer: You are paid by the hour. You will be paid anywhere from $8 to $11 an hour.
  • Assistant Manager: You are generally paid salary. Depending by experience, you will start off around $16,000 a year, and work your way up to $39,000 a year. As an option, bonuses and profit sharing may be included, based on your location / franchise owner.
  • Store Manager: You are paid salary. Expect to start off around $19,000 and cap off around $50,000 a year. Depending on the franchise, you may be able to receive bonuses, as well as profit sharing.
- See more at: McDonald’s Salaries and Pay Scale – Form Download PDFMcDonald’s Pay Scale

And, yes I know wages vary from state to state, so let's see some actual wages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:51 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatAnc View Post
Its not freedom or liberty if people are being exploited for profit. That is 100% against freedom and liberty which is why capitalism and communism don't work. They put someone above everyone else. I am a National Anarchist.
I was not aware people were not able to quit working at McDonald's if they believed they were not being fairly compensated for the work they preform.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Its not freedom or liberty if people are being exploited for profit. That is 100% against freedom and liberty which is why capitalism and communism don't work. They put someone above everyone else. I am a National Anarchist.
And if they are wise to it then they go seek other employment.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
If those workers actually get 15 most may loose their jobs as better qualified workers be attracted to work there and the low skilled would be let go .careful what you wish for

Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Capitalism IS freedom and liberty. Not to mention businesses are in business for what??? TO MAKE A PROFIT!!! We do not have pure capitalism in this country, and haven't for quite some time. What we have now is corporate cronyism!

Old 07-31-2013, 10:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
About 8 years ago, Mrs's Kroc, the owner of MD gave 1.5 billion to the Salvation Army. The amount was so large that in an interview the top man in SA kept referring to the $$ as 1.5 million not 1.5 Billion. Have tried to follow this money but to no avail.
The Army does not seem to have initiated any new plans, it must have gone into a reserve fund of some kind.
My point is that large amounts of money is hard to use in a positive way.[ ie.] Bill Gates foundation. Why not increase the salary or give year end bonuses? The more money MD workers make the more they will spend in the community. Money doesn't trickle down very well but it bubbles up fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
These donations go into a special trust fund and the principle is never touched. Only the interest gets spent..
that and it gets spread around to ALL the salvation army locations. $1.5 billion probably was enough to fund the army for about a year.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:57 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
An UG that does research is not a researcher. If that was the case, every single college student, heck anyone who looked up info, could claim a title of researcher.
My point was that an undergraduate can be capable of writing a good study. I also recognized that in this case the study was seriously flawed.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Find someone working the cash register that can run the largest restaurant in the world, employs probably over 100,000 people and over 35k locations in over 100 countries and you might have a point.
McDonald's is not corporate run. It's franchised.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
My point was that an undergraduate can be capable of writing a good study. I also recognized that in this case the study was seriously flawed.
True. It should not have been published by Huffpo as "research" because now they've been backtracking and updating all morning.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Doubling McDonald's Salaries Would Cause Your Big Mac To Cost Just 68¢ More: Study [UPDATE]
I would gladly pay 68 cents more so people get a better salary and don't need SNAP to live.
What do economists say would happen after increasing minimum wage to around $15/hour which is what you are essentially suggesting?

You know, real economists...trained and practiced professionals.

You may find that you have a case of good intentions not matching up with actual consequences.....

P.S. McD's and many other similar establishments are already taking a hard look at automating McD's due to wage pressures. The guy running the show & machinery with extensive training will certainly be making >$15/hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies