U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:26 AM

10,115 posts, read 6,974,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So the kids are not ours but our community's? So if something goes wrong with my kid can I blame society?
Of course not--this is the kind of stupidity I'm talking about. You can't have a logical, rational discussion--it all wanders into this kind of anarchist nuttiness. You are responsible for how you personally raise your own children, but you can't control the big things, like schools and community that IMPACT your children on your own, because we're all responsible for that. That's all she's saying--that we have to work together to make the institutions that support kids strong.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:27 AM

14,298 posts, read 8,082,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Well, the more traditional marriage is distorted, disparaged and dismissed...

* In 2009, unmarried women under age 25 accounted for 75 percent of all births.

* From 2000-2010, 80 percent of teen girls who got pregnant did not expect to do so, but the number of teens who had a second baby out-of-wedlock dropped to 13 percent.

* The greatest increase in unwed pregnancies was among white women, but only one out three white mothers are unwed compared to four out of five African-American women.

40 Percent of Babies Born to Unwed Mothers, Mich. Study Says

Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,183,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Of course they have. How many times have we heard someone on that side fondly remember the "good old days" when everyone in a neighborhood looked out for all the kids? Now , because someone they love to hate advocates that very thing it is somehow "communism."
And many of the same people are in that other thread applauding the plan to deprive families of their benefits if kids do poorly in school. Because that so respects the sanctity of the family.
Riiight.

As I recall, during the "good old days" the state and federal governments were not trying to dictate every aspect of our waking lives with law upon law upon law upon law.

The government was much smaller and much less intrusive in the "good old days."

There was also no political correctness in the "good old days."

So if you have some buring desire to return to the "good old days," by all means, let's.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In the absence of a child's parents, it is certainly acceptable for a neighbor to keep an eye out for the children of the neighborhood. That is not saying that the kids belong to the community.
AND GUESS WHAT--that's not what Harris was saying either, at least in the crazy literal sense that you're trying to paint it. Kids DO all belong to us in the sense that we are ALL responsible for making sure that the institutions that impact them, like schools, are strong. The most short sighted approach is to say "it's not my problem." If we don't have kids who have the education to be able to accomplish innovative things, we can't succeed long term as a nation. It's one way that you grow both a business or a country--a well educated, creative and innovative work force.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 AM

20,978 posts, read 16,215,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Maybe if we just allowed abortion to be legal, there would be fewer unwanted, poverty stricken children to care for.

Oh, wait.........

Old 04-05-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Well, the more traditional marriage is distorted, disparaged and dismissed...

* In 2009, unmarried women under age 25 accounted for 75 percent of all births.

* From 2000-2010, 80 percent of teen girls who got pregnant did not expect to do so, but the number of teens who had a second baby out-of-wedlock dropped to 13 percent.

* The greatest increase in unwed pregnancies was among white women, but only one out three white mothers are unwed compared to four out of five African-American women.

40 Percent of Babies Born to Unwed Mothers, Mich. Study Says
And teenage pregnancy is at it's lowest rate since the 1940s according to the CDC--it's declined 49% since 1991.. I'm not sure what all of this has to do with the thread?
Event | The National Campaign

Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
It does take a community to raise a child. It takes a community that takes safety, good schools, engaged communities, and environments of learning to help people do better in life. I thought everyone (right or left) was pretty well agreed on that.

If you don't like things like that...well, I don't understand. If you want to raise your kid in unsafe areas with apathetic communities where the schools are terrible, I guess you can find that if you want. I would love to see people's faces when you tell them that.
The parents raise their children, you're not suggesting that strangers in the community are supposed to concern themselves with assisting you in raising your child, are you?

Now, if you are referring to single, low income parents, then at times the state is burdened with assisting you thru social welfare programs, but even then, the state is not raising your child, unless you are an unfit parent who is neglecting or harming your child.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And teenage pregnancy is at it's lowest rate since the 1940s according to the CDC--it's declined 49% since 1991.. I'm not sure what all of this has to do with the thread?
Event | The National Campaign
The point I was making, is that she might see the need for the state/community to step in to raise the children because so many children are born to unwed mothers.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The point I was making, is that she might see the need for the state/community to step in to raise the children because so many children are born to unwed mothers.
And the number of those births has dropped dramatically. Women are still having children out of wedlock, but they tend to be adults now with an education and a job vs. teenagers. It's changing, and it's changing for the better. It would be better if moms were married, but at least they're not children having children.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:46 AM

5,194 posts, read 3,732,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If you knew what conservatives knew, you would not be a liberal.
It's only 7:45 in the morning but I already think that that is gonna be the best comment of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or