Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
It's because of the teachers' unions. Chicago is one of the highest paid districts in the country with oen of the shortest days. Rahm Emanuel wanted to increase the school day to be more in line with the rest of the country, and the unions closed the schools down for 8 days last fall to protest.

He had offered them a 16% raise over 4 years, plus step raises, and to hire more PE/Art/Music teachers to help cover the extra hours, but the unions still went on strike. The unions wanted a 24% raise for 1st year teachers.

Before the strike, the starting salary for a 1st year teacher in Chicago with a Bachelor's degree was $47,288. The children were in school 5 1/2 hours a day, 170 days a year.

Chicago schools are bad, even by big city urban standards. They average 9 points behind other big city districts on nationally standardized tests. They have a 60% drop out rate.

Chicago teachers vote for strike in battle over pay, longer school days - U.S. News
I think Rahm Emanual is right on this one, and I generally can't stand him--they need to clean house on the school board and the administration that allowed their schools to deteriorate to this point as well. Both sides have their priorities completely out of whack and the kids are the ones paying for their disfunction.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:12 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
It takes a community?

What if I as the parent don't want some hack union public school teacher filling my child's head with nonsense leftist propaganda?

Does my right to impart my vlaues on my children cease to exist when it runs afoul of official state doctrine?
Homeschool.

Then you can indoctrinate your kids with just the things YOU want them to know.

Oh, and be sure to keep them isolated, as well, because you sure don't want them interacting with those kids who have been "dirtied" by the public school system.

Fill your kids' heads with just the propaganda YOU want them filled with.

See how easy that is?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23145tp View Post
MSNBC just needs to go away.
FOX first.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was raised in a two parent household and I could not spend enough time in a public school just to get away from the crazy people. Community schools are far better than a drunk and his codependent. Oh, I couldn't join Boy Scouts because I did not believe in their God creature. I also did not want to become a properly disciplined Scout. I wanted to learn how to do things. I could decide for myself when to do them.

The biggest problem with high parent involvement in their children’s education is most parents are ignorant, stupid, drugged and/or inimical psychopaths. Good teachers are far better role models.
That just might be the dumbest statement anyone has ever vomited onto this forum.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:22 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That was unnecessary and nasty. And also not surprising.
What GregW said was far worse.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:38 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
to be fair

this isn't exactly phony outrage.

i'm a moderate, often critical of conservatives, and i find Melissa Harris-Perry's comments to be abhorrent. The sort of language that is coming to mind is not allowed on this forum.
From the link...

Perry's comment: “We’ve always had this private notion of children… We haven’t had a very collective notion that these are our children. So part of it is we have to break through our kind of private idea that kids belong to their parents or kids belong to their families, and recognize that kids belong to their communities.”

Followed by verbage from some guy named Shepherd: "What’s more, the notion of collective responsibility for children was a philosophy that undergirded the Cultural Revolution in Communist China under Chairman Mao. I bring that up because, as you may recall, another Harris-Perry “Lean Forward” spot contains a reference to a “great leap forward,” which calls to mind the disastrous agricultural reform plan which starved millions of Chinese to death in the 1950s."

So, tell me about the outrageous part of Perry's comment, please. Because communities have been responsible for education for more than a century now, a very collective activity. And for those kids who go astray, there are juvenile detention halls, another collective.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So there is no "community" at parochial schools?

No "community" of home-schooling parents?

Really?

Of course there is. However, the impact and importance of THE PARENTS far outweighs that of "the community" or schools.

The main reason that kids are failing today is not for lack of "the community", it is because of it. We have the highest amount of money per capita spent on education and the welfare state, with the "community" taking care of many citizens. As a result, the quality of life in America is in the crapper and our students are inferior to those in nations who spend far less on education.

Want to improve? Improvement will always come from the individual and not from "the community". One simply has to do a few "group projects" in high school or college to know that this is true!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That was unnecessary and nasty. And also not surprising.

It was quite necessary to refute the claim that all parents are drug addled psychopaths. It was not "nasty" to refute such an outrageous contention; however, it was "nasty" and insulting to every good parent in America to make the initial assumption.

Funny how libs support and applaud derogatory, outrageous statements, but condemn any objections to them. It is kind of like when ANYONE disagrees with Obama!

So................... I suppose, given that you agree with Greg, that your parents must have been psychopathic, abusive, alcoholics?

Old 04-05-2013, 11:34 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
That isnt modern liberalism and Conservatives do not donate more, you pay tithes more, there is a difference. paying to keep your own churches lights on and having a booth at the church revival festival is not the same as going out and building a house with habitat for humanity or donating money to them.

As for what liberals believe, you should probably at least ask a liberal before you make claims like the above.
When you remove tithing, Conservatives still donate a higher percentage of their incomes to charity (plus volunteer more and donate more blood). And if you don't count tithing, you can't count donations to galleries, museums, universities, symphonies, PETA or any other self-serving causes that Liberals donate to. Writing a check to PBS isn't the same thing as sending one to a homeless shelter.

Of course, I'm generalizing, but I tire of being told that Conservatives hate the poor by Liberals who think that more taxes and government programs are how we help the less fortunate, and any attempts to overhaul these programs are considered attacks on the poor.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:36 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was raised in a two parent household and I could not spend enough time in a public school just to get away from the crazy people. Community schools are far better than a drunk and his codependent. Oh, I couldn't join Boy Scouts because I did not believe in their God creature. I also did not want to become a properly disciplined Scout. I wanted to learn how to do things. I could decide for myself when to do them.

The biggest problem with high parent involvement in their children’s education is most parents are ignorant, stupid, drugged and/or inimical psychopaths. Good teachers are far better role models.

You sound like damaged goods Greg. Be that as it may most parents, while not prefect, are nothing like your description of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies