U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM
 
57,984 posts, read 29,686,278 times
Reputation: 7348

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Gotta love how the right includes people retiring in the numbers "giving up looking"! You realize baby boomers are retiring in huge numbers right?
Clearly all of those old people have been waiting for Obama to become President so they could retire, just to make him look bad..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-05-2013, 01:31 PM
 
57,984 posts, read 29,686,278 times
Reputation: 7348
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
10,000 Baby Boomers turn 65 every day and 200,000 retire and/or drop out of the labor force every month.

Right-wingers fail at everything.
Are you saying this is something new, and prior to Obama becoming President no one retired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 01:54 PM
 
9,571 posts, read 3,093,387 times
Reputation: 4471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I did not say that. I was talking unemployment. Private sector jobs are expanding. Public sector jobs are contracting. That is one reason why UE is so high. Most federal money goes to salaries, or to contract employees.

This is the opposite of under GW Bush. He was not able to grow the private sector, but hired public sector employees like crazy. Both sectors need to be healthy to lower the UE rate.

Jobs: Bush's First Term vs. Obama's First Term - Business Insider

Republicans are all Keynesians with a GOP president, all for austerity with a Democrat....
Wrong - public sector unemployment fell as well.

Wrong - unemployment fell because more people dropped out of the workplace, so private sector jobs are NOT expanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
 
977 posts, read 264,194 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
A 1% cut to our budget sends our economy into a tailspin?
Not at all. But when you have a POTUS who denies cancer care and border patrols in order to make people 'feel the pain', that is a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 02:03 PM
 
13,074 posts, read 6,924,931 times
Reputation: 2586
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
All together now...."Happy days are here again........."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM
 
239 posts, read 155,479 times
Reputation: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
All together now...."Happy days are here again........."

??????????????????

ABC news said the number of new hires dropped to the lowest level in 6 months and the only reason unemployment percentage dropped is a half million quit looking for work.


But, go ahead and be a fool and celebrate !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
30,993 posts, read 13,274,269 times
Reputation: 11014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Wrong - public sector unemployment fell as well.

Wrong - unemployment fell because more people dropped out of the workplace, so private sector jobs are NOT expanding.
Private sector is the one that has kept net jobs in the positive territory. We have now see 37-straight months with positive job growth in the private sector.

Private Sector Employment:
Feb 2010: 106.85 million
Mar 2013: 113.33 million
Change: +6.48 million

Public Sector Employment:
Feb 2010: 22.47 million
Mar 2013: 21.87 million
Change: -600K

In fact, public sector employment is lowest since Jan 2006.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Ohio
10,952 posts, read 6,169,624 times
Reputation: 6174
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Gotta love how the right includes people retiring in the numbers "giving up looking"! You realize baby boomers are retiring in huge numbers right?
Do you realize how very wrong you are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
So people are "giving up looking huh?"
Yes, that's what happens when government gets stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Too good to find any kind of work they can get, so they prefer to not work at all?
Unfortunately, that is not one of the questions on the Census Bureau's questionnaire surveying 60,000 households each month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
And where do they go?
Who cares as long as they aren't sucking up my tax dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If they're able bodied they can't get gov assistance. If not retired they won't have social security and pension.

They all moving in together?
No doubt, the phrase "one wage-earner household" is not part of your vocabulary.

When an household goes from two wage-earners to one wage-earner, do you think it's likely that household income increases or decreases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
It's not as though people die, retire, move abroad, start a business, join the military, etc...
Uh, as shocking as this may be, dead people are not part of the Civilian Non-Institutional Population.

Retired people are counted as part of the Civilian Labor Force so long as they are working or seeking work.

People who have the strength and courage to endure and persevere under Obomney's massive business regulations and start their own business are counted as part of the Civilian Labor Force.

People in the Military are counted as part of the Civilian Labor Force.

I get the distinct impression you have never visited the BLS web-site and don't understand the definitions for "employed," "unemployed," "Labor Force" etc etc etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
So my 16 year old daughter whose job, as far as I am concerned, is to go to school is counted in the numbers of those not participating or giving up?
She is not included as part of the Civilian Labor Force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
It only takes a fraction of the 76-79 million Baby Boomers to retire every month to make massive dent on the labor force. It's hilarious watching the shills use the "Obama math" line--BB retirements have been accelerating since the failed Bush Presidency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
10,000 Baby Boomers turn 65 every day and 200,000 retire and/or drop out of the labor force every month.

Right-wingers fail at everything.
Uh-huh.

Let's test your theory using government data from the Social Security Administration.

53,723,000 January 2013 Monthly Snapshot
53,597,000 December 2013 Monthly Snapshot
-----------------------------------------------
126,000 new persons receiving either Social Security Retirement or Social Security Disability benefits.

53,880,000 February 2013 Monthly Snapshot
53,723,000 January 2013 Monthly Snapshot
-------------------------------------------
157,000 new persons receiving either Social Security Retirement or Social Security Disability benefits
.

Note that persons on receiving Social Security Retirement or Social Security Disability benefits may be employed, or seeking work and thus part of the Civilian Labor Force.

Source: Monthly Statistical Snapshot, February 2013

So.......you're a right-winger?

Because you just failed miserably.

If I may be so bold......try researching the facts before regurgiating your Obamabot E-Mail Forum Talking Points.

As I pointed out on another thread, an average of about 135,000 are either retiring or approved for SSDI each month, so your claims that a "fraction of the Baby Boomers" is making a massive dent, and that 200,000 retire each month has been soundly destroyed.

My pleasure....

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
75,644 posts, read 36,776,643 times
Reputation: 18440
Well said Mircea. What many people and the government DON'T do is to compare the various agency numbers like you just did regarding UE and SS.

The MSM obviously doesn't bother since they are telling us this is all because "boomers are retiring".
And we're going to hear that for some time to come as the height of the baby boom births was 1957 so we have 10 more years of hearing this as the reason for the declining work force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 PM
 
6,457 posts, read 5,800,645 times
Reputation: 6546
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Unemployment Rate:
March 1978: 6.3%
March 1979: 5.8%
March 1980: 6.3%
March 1981: 7.4%
March 1982: 9.0%
March 1983: 10.3%
March 1984 7.8%
March 1985 7.2%
March 1986 7.2%
I filled in 1984 to 1986 for you.

What's your point, to say Jimmah Carter wasn't as bad as Reagan?

With your numbers let's slide some inflation numbers in which battling inflation, this accomplished by raising interest rates, caused the higher unemployment rate.

March 1978: 6.55%
March 1979: 10.09%
March 1980: 14.76%
March 1981: 10.49 %
March 1982: 6.78%
March 1983: 3.60%

I know you weren't alive then but inflation was worse than unemployment.

So how did Regan's "trickle down" and "Reaganomics" do for job creation compared to the current piece of garbage in the white house?

Jobs created during U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reagan was in office for 96 months and during that time jobs grew from 91,031,000 to 107,133,000 for an increase of 16,102,000 jobs for an average monthly increase of 167,729 jobs over the entire 96 month period.

Obama the communist has been in office for 48 months during that time jobs grew from 133,631,000 to 134,810,000 for an increase of 1,179,000 jobs for an average monthly increase of 24,562 jobs over the entire 48 month period.

Got that? For his entire time in office on a monthly basis Reagan created 6.82 times as many jobs as the Kenyan.

I know....

Facts, make them go away!
\


Meanwhile recent headlines on Drudge...

POVERTY SPIKES TO 1960's LEVELS...

Nearly 50 Million Americans Below the Line...

Child Hunger Rates 'Alarmingly High'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top