Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 07:34 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

In the RWNJ world sex is supposed to be a reward for doing the right thing. For people to have sex without first proving themselves to be properly responsible people with jobs and security is anathema. They are terrified of a world where teens can have sex without authorization by their parents. They deny such a world can exist.

The RWNJ's do not live in any reality I would recognize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
I guess good parenting could prevent the need for this. My parents talked about sex and provided a source of condoms. They of course suggested and taught one should wait, but they also know kids will be kids.

More of the "reminders" from the parents growing up was not the pregnancy part, but the STD. Knowing that some are very permanent and the side effects, well, that made me proud to use protection.

Yes, most parents would have no problem pointing to the tax payers. That's one reason why our whole system is broken. There should be very limited government help. People need to know that they are responsible. No government families needed.

So, we can prevent some government assistance by terminating the baby, but then us tax payers will pay to have her STD's treated.

Both of these situations can be prevent with a condom.

A condom is a heck of a lot cheaper too!
Yes, a condom should always be used, but, we must remember, condoms are not 100% effective at preventing pregnancy.....so the pill is still a good thing to have as a backup plan for teens who are trying to be responsible. Condoms can slip or break.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:43 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, a condom should always be used, but, we must remember, condoms are not 100% effective at preventing pregnancy.....so the pill is still a good thing to have as a backup plan for teens who are trying to be responsible.
I agree. I just think the parents should be notified. I dont think the parent should be able to say no, you cant have the pill.

Teens at that age may try being responsible, but we know they really dont know what responsibility is at that age. This is where the parenting jumps back in. So now the parents know and may be able to know who else she is with.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Yes, a condom should always be used, but, we must remember, condoms are not 100% effective at preventing pregnancy.....so the pill is still a good thing to have as a backup plan for teens who are trying to be responsible. Condoms can slip or break.
It's supposed to be emergency contraceptive, not something taken every time so casually.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
When I was young back in the 1980's, the fear of getting a girl pregnant and ruining my future was enough to keep me from having sex at such a young age. Now that is not an issue.

I went to high school in the late 80s, and graduated in 91. My thoughts were similar to yours except, that when I rolled around with someone I used the necessary precautions. That extended into my early 20s as well, before my wife and I started dating. Unfortunately, young people today don't seem to understand that logic. It's really simple. We have those urges that are a part of nature, therefore; if you are going to succumb to those urges, then take the necessary steps to protect yourself so you're not placed into a position that you are not ready to deal with, such as a child before you're ready. The other option... don't have sex, which is easier said than done for the majority of people.

As for this solution of birth control. I have no issue with it.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
I agree. I just think the parents should be notified. I dont think the parent should be able to say no, you cant have the pill.

Teens at that age may try being responsible, but we know they really dont know what responsibility is at that age. This is where the parenting jumps back in. So now the parents know and may be able to know who else she is with.
But the law says they don't need to be notified. In NYC it's available in the school so a child only needs to go visit the nurse's office to get it. It might be given out free to the child since it's part of a NYC birth control initiative in the schools.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
So, what does this mean to you?
Personally? It doesn't impact me, directly. But I don't think under-aged children should have access to this over-the-counter ... without a prescription from a physician and approval from a parent or legal guardian.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Im fine with it except the age side of it. The law say's parents are responsible for their kids to age 18 so getting a pill to stop a pregnancy should be known to the parents.

Doesnt STD's scare these people anymore? Sure, you may stop the baby, but that funk isn't going to be stopped by this pill.

The thought of STD's scared me back then as well! Our old saying was "no glove...no love."

Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's supposed to be emergency contraceptive, not something taken every time so casually.
I said.....if the condom breaks or slips.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the law says they don't need to be notified. In NYC it's available in the school so a child only needs to go visit the nurse's office to get it. It might be given out free to the child since it's part of a NYC birth control initiative in the schools.
Exactly. I'm responsible for my kid on just about anything they do, except when it comes to making babies. This is wrong. As a parent, its my duty to know what my children do until they are of legal age 18 or living under my roof.

Think of it this way. Parenting is to teach your child. As a parent, we know kids will make mistakes. Its our job to help them out along the way. Its what we do. Now, a child makes a mistake, and the government is there to bail them out, without the parent even knowing. This is just the beginning. The government interference with how we raise kids is already here, and its just going to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies