Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 PM

85 posts, read 191,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well there IS an age limit-15-to purchase w/o prescription. It does come with directions, and you just take one. The criteria is having had unprotected sex.
I think the age limit should coincide with each states legal age of consent to sex. In mine it is sixteen. And I am talking about when they are taking it(how far along is pregnancy) and possible reactions to the meds. I don't know it just seems dangerous. What's to stop a desperate teen from doing something stupid?. it is like we might be sending the "go ahead " message to a much to young of a crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugzmom View Post
I think the age limit should coincide with each states legal age of consent to sex. In mine it is sixteen. And I am talking about when they are taking it(how far along is pregnancy) and possible reactions to the meds. I don't know it just seems dangerous. What's to stop a desperate teen from doing something stupid?. it is like we might be sending the "go ahead " message to a much to young of a crowd.
It has been approved as an OTC med by the FDA. You don't take it in pregnancy; you take it to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex. I believe there is a 48 hour time limit from the sex to taking the pill, after which it may not be as effective. These kids have already received "go ahead" messages from a lot of sources. Age of consent is a little murky. It is not statutory rape in most states for teens within a few years of age of each other to have sex, even if the female is under the age of consent.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
It has been approved as an OTC med by the FDA. You don't take it in pregnancy; you take it to prevent pregnancy after unprotected sex. I believe there is a 48 hour time limit from the sex to taking the pill, after which it may not be as effective. These kids have already received "go ahead" messages from a lot of sources. Age of consent is a little murky. It is not statutory rape in most states for teens within a few years of age of each other to have sex, even if the female is under the age of consent.
teens are unpredictable,and don't always follow instructions.again who is to stop a teen from doing something stupid. I don't know why you mention statutory,as I was saying the state sexual consent laws should match the purchase age. As is the case with alcohol cigarettes exct. And yes they get messages other places but this seems the ultimate condonement. Again just my opinion.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,202,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugzmom View Post
teens are unpredictable,and don't always follow instructions.again who is to stop a teen from doing something stupid. I don't know why you mention statutory,as I was saying the state sexual consent laws should match the purchase age. As is the case with alcohol cigarettes exct. And yes they get messages other places but this seems the ultimate condonement. Again just my opinion.
It's pretty hard to take one pill incorrectly! If you take it too late, it won't prevent pregnancy. Period. I bring up statutory b/c that is the law. "Age of consent" laws have a lot of flexibility. Much depends on the age of both partners, to wit:

Ages of consent in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arkansas

The age of consent is 16, with some close in age exemptions.

Details: The age is minimum 16 for a minor (<18) with a major more than 20 years old. Under 18, the younger must not be less than 14, or if so, there is a defense if the minor is not more 4 years younger if above 12, not more 3 years younger if under 12. Sexual intercourse of a major and a minor under 14 is a rape.

Colorado (My state)

The age of consent in Colorado is 17; however, there exists in the legislation close-in-age exceptions, which allow those aged 15 and 16 to engage in acts with those less than ten years older and those less than 15 to engage in acts with those less than four years older. However, a 17-year-old can not legally consent to a person that is in position of trust.

And many others.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 PM

8,274 posts, read 12,810,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The argument that a 12 year old should be able to keep secret that she is having sex from her parents and the government will assist her in that is a vile and disgusting argument.

With attitudes like this you can be assured you will never know what your 12 yo is up to.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,203,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
In the real world, most teens are not going to tell their parents they have decided to have sex and need to see a doctor.
Which is one huge problem with not having parents notified when their under-aged kids go to the school nurse to get Plan B or oral contraceptives.

HPV is big deal. Not to mention the rest of the STD's one can catch.

If you aren't aware your kid is having sex before she reaches an age where you would take her to a GYN to start the annual visits, she's never going to know she might have HPV which could turn in to cervical cancer. If left untreated, it could affect her future ability to carry a pregnancy to term. Or worse.

Or does the school/walmart/whatever also offer free exams, diagnosis and solutions to STD's by an MD? GYN services?

Is the school nurse going to give you something when you're leaking out of your pee-pee? Or when you're itching and scratching your head off (southern head)? When weird things appear on your genitals? Without calling Mommy? I don't think so.

There's a lot more to having unprotected sex than a pregnancy. Some of it can affect your life for the rest of your life, and if not caught early enough? You could have severe repercussions.

I do blame parents for not knowing where their kids are and what they are doing. They live under your roof, you need to know everything that they are doing. It's called being a parent. It's your job.

And the condom slipping/breaking thing? Please. Like you can't tell it happened. Stop, get a new one, then get back to it. And how does a condom slip and where does it slip on off to? Someone thought a lot of themselves and bought Magnum when they should have bought Jr. size?

Plan B being available to anyone of any age is one thing. It would be fine if the only result of having sex at an early age, without telling your parents, was a pregnancy. It's not. That's the scary thing. To know that that the government is willing to keep the secrets of children when it could lead to so much more and worse for the same children is irresponsible.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 AM

688 posts, read 649,807 times
Parents are so funny. (Rabid creatures, really.)

First, they show us a fat baby who just puked on their shoulder and say, "Isn't she cute? She's so cute."

Then, their child gets older and they say, "My pediatrician told me that she's waaaay smart for her age. Can't you tell, 'cuz I can."

Then, their child hits puberty, and then they say, "We're really open and she only likes him."

How many of you told your parents you were having/had sex on prom night? ...Didn't think so. So, why do you think your kid is telling you? No matter how much your child loves you, they will lie to you about sex.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:49 AM

688 posts, read 649,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
where were u brought up...under the table in a pool hall ?
No, but I haven't forgotten what it's like to be a teenager. Perhaps being childless helps me keep these things in perspective...

Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
It's pretty hard to take one pill incorrectly! If you take it too late, it won't prevent pregnancy. Period. I bring up statutory b/c that is the law. "Age of consent" laws have a lot of flexibility. Much depends on the age of both partners, to wit:

Ages of consent in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Arkansas

The age of consent is 16, with some close in age exemptions.

Details: The age is minimum 16 for a minor (<18) with a major more than 20 years old. Under 18, the younger must not be less than 14, or if so, there is a defense if the minor is not more 4 years younger if above 12, not more 3 years younger if under 12. Sexual intercourse of a major and a minor under 14 is a rape.

Colorado (My state)

The age of consent in Colorado is 17; however, there exists in the legislation close-in-age exceptions, which allow those aged 15 and 16 to engage in acts with those less than ten years older and those less than 15 to engage in acts with those less than four years older. However, a 17-year-old can not legally consent to a person that is in position of trust.

And many others.
Thank you! that is what I am talking about the age that each state identities as legal for sexual Consent. The rest is just legal loophole and mumbo jumbo, dealing with statutory. But as you can see a specific age has been set for consent.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 AM

Let's not forget we are talking about unprotected sex here folks. So let those of us who have teens,remind them pregnancy is not the only SDT caught with unprotected sex. And the day after pill can't fix those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies