Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 10:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I don't agree. When I was 15 I was thinking about college and how I was going to support myself for the rest of my life.

You are judging all teens by those at the bottom of the barrel....and that is not right.
But it's those at the bottom of the barrel that end up have 2-3 kids before they are 20 and on welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times
Quote:
I don't agree. When I was 15 I was thinking about college and how I was going to support myself for the rest of my life.

You are judging all teens by those at the bottom of the barrel....and that is not right.
It depends, how old are you? people that are of an older generation will think differently.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:23 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But it's those at the bottom of the barrel that end up have 2-3 kids before they are 20 and on welfare.
And a lot of them have parents that aren't much smarter then they are......or abusive parents.....that would beat the crap out of them if the school nurse called and told them their kid just asked for MAP.

We need to educate these kids about sex and STD's in school and make it easy for them to obtain birth control and MAP.....despite their parents in many cases.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
It depends, how old are you? people that are of an older generation will think differently.
Yes, times are drastically different today. There is such a casual air about it all now among the younger generation. And nothing is a secret anymore.

If I told you guys half of what I hear at school from the students you'd call BS on me and tell me I'm making it up.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
And a lot of them have parents that aren't much smarter then they are......or abusive parents.....that would beat the crap out of them if the school nurse called and told them their kid just asked for MAP.

We need to educate these kids about sex and STD's in school and make it easy for them to obtain birth control and MAP.....despite their parents in many cases.
The kids are being educated and have been for years now.
STDs are not being portrayed the way they used to be with the scare tactics and gory pictures.

If they are having unprotected sex then they already stepped beyond the line of "considering the consequences" of their action.

Many just don't have the money or transportation and they all have that invincible mindset of "it won't happen to me".

Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times
Quote:

Hey, I would rather them get into trouble if thats what it takes for them not to do it. Making it easier for them to get contraceptives only justifies their behavior and tells them its ok for them to do what they do.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I am 59.

I don't understand what you are getting at.

Are you implying that 15 year olds in my day were smarter than they are today?

Old 05-02-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Hey, I would rather them get into trouble if thats what it takes for them not to do it. Making it easier for them to get contraceptives only justifies their behavior and tells them its ok for them to do what they do.
They will get into trouble all right.....they will get pregnant because they are afraid of their parents finding out that they are having sex.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I am 59.

I don't understand what you are getting at.

Are you implying that 15 year olds in my day were smarter than they are today?
When was the last time you were in the public schools ?

It is way different today. You have not seen what NCLB has done over the last decade.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:

I think they all should get gun training despite their parents wishes.

As an aside, kids are taught about STD's in schools and can get B.C. in many of them but yet the rate of pregnancies and STD's continue to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies