U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 PM

12,300 posts, read 7,931,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Strange, I never considered life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness to include the ability to shoot someone If you didn't like their looks or thought they looked at you oddly.
And who exactly is saying it does? Right, no one is and your making stuff up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 06:31 PM

9,442 posts, read 5,790,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Wouldn't the fact that Hawai'i and New Hampshire with their low rates of violence yet entirely different approaches to gun control give the impression that perhaps gun control has little to do with the rates of violence?

To take it entirely out of context suppose I state there's a link to owning red T-Shirts and violent crime rates, if you can prove that there is some community somewhere that has a high percentage (relative to national) of red T-Shirt owners, yet has the same or lower rates of violence than somewhere else with lower rates of red T-Shirt owners, but higher rates of violence, then logically the implication is that my hypothesis is incorrect or not accounting for all factors. Is this so difficult to understand?

The above is called the scientific method, it's been around a while, and it's worked many times in the past, for things like Relativity, Evolution, Quantum Theory, Germ Theory, Medicine, would you like me to go on...?
That makes way to much sense, the gun banners will never accept it. They simply can't accept that the presence of guns doesn't cause crime. They're certainly never going to admit that their liberal policies are far more the root of crime than guns are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Strange, I never considered life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness to include the ability to shoot someone If you didn't like their looks or thought they looked at you oddly.
What kind of idiotic statement is that? You liberals really are a special bunch. Where exactly is it not against the law to shoot someone because of their looks? Are you people so enamored with Hollywood that you think the trash they throw out year after year is fact?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:36 PM

5,253 posts, read 4,003,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Wait, so are you suggesting that the general lack of weapons in Hawaii actually makes people there safer??
Um...yes? If there were no weapons anywhere in the world, it would be a pretty safe place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Right, because every package that is sent via FedEx, UPS or USPS is searched before getting to Hawaii?
Doesn't matter, would someone trying to get something illegal in risk someone glancing at the manifest and calling it in?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Um...yes? If there were no weapons anywhere in the world, it would be a pretty safe place...

Doesn't matter, would someone trying to get something illegal in risk someone glancing at the manifest and calling it in?
Their no a manifest, it's a box among tens of thousands of boxes on an air plane that gets delivered.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:47 PM

23,216 posts, read 11,473,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
All those guns should have turned everyone into crazy kids ring lunatics according to you and ellemint. It is amazing that it can be so peaceful in NH or the many other states with little gun control.
New Hampshire is 39th in gun Ownership(or in other words the 11th lowestest)

I am not up to date on all their gun laws, but i would also think that less weapons means less crimes and deaths involving said weapons.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
New Hampshire is 39th in gun Ownership(or in other words the 11th lowestest)

I am not up to date on all their gun laws, but i would also think that less weapons means less crimes and deaths involving said weapons.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,855,213 times
Gee Haakon, I just read the news. Meaningless shootings happen all the time. Didn't you know?

Old 04-05-2013, 06:53 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,120,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
the presence of guns doesn't cause crime.
But they sure help.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Wouldn't the fact that Hawai'i and New Hampshire with their low rates of violence yet entirely different approaches to gun control give the impression that perhaps gun control has little to do with the rates of violence?

To take it entirely out of context suppose I state there's a link to owning red T-Shirts and violent crime rates, if you can prove that there is some community somewhere that has a high percentage (relative to national) of red T-Shirt owners, yet has the same or lower rates of violence than somewhere else with lower rates of red T-Shirt owners, but higher rates of violence, then logically the implication is that my hypothesis is incorrect or not accounting for all factors. Is this so difficult to understand?

The above is called the scientific method, it's been around a while, and it's worked many times in the past, for things like Relativity, Evolution, Quantum Theory, Germ Theory, Medicine, would you like me to go on...?
Hawaii Gun ownership is 6.7% the lowest in the nation.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:02 PM

The maps you just posed mimic each other( and prove my point). The only place they differ is in states that have a spread out population like Montana, Idaho and the Dakotas and Louisiana( new Orleans) and Maryland( Baltimore) that are high in poverty.

Basically, you have chosen to make your argument based on the outliers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies