Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2013, 04:01 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,251,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I carry because it's the most effective, easiest and most proven form of self defense known to man. I carry because I can and I like to.

I've been in a few situations in my lifetime where a firearm saved my life and I trust my ability more than any police officer in my area.
Odd.......

I'm 58 years old and have never been in a situation where I needed a firearm to save my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:01 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Right?? I live in not the greatest area of my city. It's not the ghetto but it's also not the north shore & I have never felt the need to have a gun on me. Even process serving in the armpit of the city I still didn't need a gun. Ever. Course, I'm not overly paranoid.
Do you think people who carry or even just own a firearm are automatically paranoid? Would you feel that way about a woman who carries a firearm for self defense purposes?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Odd.......

I'm 58 years old and have never been in a situation where I needed a firearm to save my life.
That's not odd at all, that just means you haven't served in an active duty military situation where street combat is a common occurrence. You've probably never been or had a family member become the victim of a home invasion either.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,233 times
Quote:
I don't live in a dangerous area at all but I do travel a lot and I spend a lot of time on the road. I've had 2 apartments broken in to over the years but that isn't why I carry a firearm.

2 guys that I went to high school with were killed in 2 completely separate bar fights in different states years after we graduated. Nobody in either case was armed, just plain old fist fighting.
It's good that you don't live in a dangerous neighborhood. That means a lot less worry about your family when you're away.

In my work over the years I have been to some extremely dangerous neighborhoods in different cities. I guess I have been lucky. No one ever took a shot at me. I don't carry a gun. Some of those neighborhoods were where known crack house were located. Everyone just watched. No one bothered me. Of course I didn't go alone. There were usually two of us.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:09 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,282,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I've read that gz was going shopping, to Target iirc, and wasn't on a NW patrol or activity the night of the killing. Then again, I remember someone on this forum saying that he didn't have a wallet or money with him [something I didn't independently try to verify]. Who knows
I think you are correct; at least one of Zimmerman's accounts of events started with him being on his way to Target. The bit about not having a wallet or money is something I've not heard, so can't really comment on that.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
That's not odd at all, that just means you haven't served in an active duty military situation where street combat is a common occurrence. You've probably never been or had a family member become the victim of a home invasion either.
So now you're talking about active duty military?

And, no, I've never had my house broken into. I'm not sure I even know anybody who's had their house broken into.

What kind of neighborhoods do you choose to live in anyway?

But I can rattle off a number of cases (one of which I knew personally - vaguely) where a child has died because there was a firearm in the home - two cases which took place in the town I used to live in and which involved children of law enforcement officers (one of those, my sons went to school with the boy - the son of a deputy sheriff - who shot and killed his little sister).

Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,677 times
Nope, nope TheMoreYouKnow. You should have stayed in longer. Then you would have had your fill of the fantasy, cowboy, hero, gun carrying and shooting.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Consider this your rep since I have to spread it around before I hit you again.

P.S. I think I love you.
I think you two deserve each other...

Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
So now you're talking about active duty military?
We were talking about firearm training, hand to hand combat training and other forms of self defense, sorry if I brought up a dirty little piece of my past.

Quote:
And, no, I've never had my house broken into. I'm not sure I even know anybody who's had their house broken into.

What kind of neighborhoods do you choose to live in anyway?
I live in a great area, I lived in some really seedy apartments in college and paid for it I guess.

Quote:
But I can rattle off a number of cases (one of which I knew personally - vaguely) where a child has died because there was a firearm in the home - two cases which took place in the town I used to live in and which involved children of law enforcement officers (one of those, my sons went to school with the boy - the son of a deputy sheriff - who shot and killed his little sister).
For every local case that I've ever seen about someone being shot by accident I see story about someone shooting an intruder trying to break into their home. I know my kids will never be shot by a gun in my home so I don't worry about it.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
For every local case that I've ever seen about someone being shot by accident I see story about someone shooting an intruder trying to break into their home.
So....you would shoot and kill someone over a t.v.?

And since you feel the need to carry everywhere you go, does that mean you've been threatened a lot in McDonald's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies