U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM

29,745 posts, read 16,481,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
You wouldn't get much unless it was a political hot button situation and you had special interest groups putting the fire to the offender's feet-and the offender had deep pockets.

There isn't much monetary value in a teen's life. You would get enough for the funeral and not much more.
I don't know what state you live in - but I can ASSURE you that in my state - a wrongful death claim is worth much, much more than the cost of a funeral. My son is a good student, an athlete, and just got accepted to a great college.

Oh, I would get much more than the cost of his funeral. And then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 PM

8,561 posts, read 5,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I believe your knowledge comes from typing papers for a law professor.
And you would be wrong. My experience comes from being in the court room for LOTS of trials, as well as working as a member of legal teams.

Actually, in fact lots of law professors have little to no litigation experience. Young lawyers learn how to litigate through practice in the court room. There's a reason why people who go to work for Public Defenders and State Attorneys straight out of law school start at the very bottom in terms of trial practice.....first it's misdemeanors, then juvenile, then maybe taking some guilty plea type cases, as they work their way up to actually trying felony cases.....at first lower level felony cases, then up to the more serious felony cases.

One thing I can tell you for sure about juries: They are allowed to talk about their deliberations AFTER the trial is over and many of them are eager to talk. So, if something which the court prohibited in the jury charge was discussed or considered, it will and does come out after the trial. That's why I think jurors generally want to follow the law as it is given to them by the Court in the jury instructions. So If a juror is going to take something into consideration which was not evidence brought out only in the court room, those jurors would not openly use that information to try to sway the others unless they wanted to be called before the Court to answer questions, and for the verdict to be thrown out. WHY do you think appellate lawyers are so eager to have someone talk to the jurors and to read reports of what the jurors said?

On what basis do you think there will be a mistrial or could be a mistrial? You do realize that defendants are often retried after a mistrial, don't you?

Last edited by FancyFeast5000; 04-07-2013 at 07:40 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 08:25 PM

86,891 posts, read 102,319,187 times
Quote:
I guess whether he was a 'typical' teenage boy depends on where you live and who you've known. From what's known about him so far, I wouldn't call him a 'thug,' but can't call him 'typical' either.

Then again, I don't consider gz a guy who's past can be defined as 'a history of violence.'
As to the first, Trayvon was hardly the first young man to be suspended from school. (There's an old Beach Boys' song about that!) He's not the first to be a little "rowdy". You might be surprised who here on CD has spent at least a night in jail. I know a few upstanding citizens who have done so.

You don't consider domestic violence, violence? Is that b/c it was committed against a woman? GZ had some other brushes with violence, too. I don't remember all the details. One was with a cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why don't you reserve judgment until we have all the facts?
Why don't you?

Old 04-08-2013, 05:46 AM

9,497 posts, read 4,846,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As to the first, Trayvon was hardly the first young man to be suspended from school. (There's an old Beach Boys' song about that!) He's not the first to be a little "rowdy". You might be surprised who here on CD has spent at least a night in jail. I know a few upstanding citizens who have done so.

You don't consider domestic violence, violence? Is that b/c it was committed against a woman? GZ had some other brushes with violence, too. I don't remember all the details. One was with a cop.

Why don't you?
I bolded the stupid question.

Do you really want to argue over whether tm was a thug or typical teen ? Some think he was a thug, others think he was a typical teen. I don't think he was either. Though I believe there's more to learn about his background.

You and others use 'past history of violence' to describe gz. That phrase covers a lot of ground. He wasn't in and out of jail, didn't have a rap sheet that you want the phrase to imply. I won't bother with the details of his 2 [before he killed tm] 'violent' incidents because 'past history' of violence' is here to stay.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 AM

10,357 posts, read 7,952,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I don't know what state you live in - but I can ASSURE you that in my state - a wrongful death claim is worth much, much more than the cost of a funeral. My son is a good student, an athlete, and just got accepted to a great college.

Oh, I would get much more than the cost of his funeral. And then some.
As was Trayvon---he was a good student, an athlete, and from all accounts college-bound.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I bolded the stupid question.

Do you really want to argue over whether tm was a thug or typical teen ? Some think he was a thug, others think he was a typical teen. I don't think he was either. Though I believe there's more to learn about his background.

You and others use 'past history of violence' to describe gz. That phrase covers a lot of ground. He wasn't in and out of jail, didn't have a rap sheet that you want the phrase to imply. I won't bother with the details of his 2 [before he killed tm] 'violent' incidents because 'past history' of violence' is here to stay.
You don't want to bother with the details, but the fact remains that Zimmerman had a history of violent behavior and Trayvon did not.

Zimmerman had been charged with assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest.

He had had a domestic violence restraining order taken out on him.

He was also carrying a gun, and if that's not an indication of a propensity for violence I don't know what is.

Trayvon, the "thug", was carrying a bag of skittles and an Iced Tea.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:50 AM

5,010 posts, read 4,700,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
As was Trayvon---he was a good student, an athlete, and from all accounts college-bound.
His own parents said he was an "average student" even while pushing the PR campaign lies. The family's attorneys had his school records sealed and scrubbed all of his social media profile- where he talked about leaky panties, loose *****, drugs, and swinging on a bus driver.
He quit playing football in middle school. The pictures they released were 5 years old. He was on his 3rd suspension that year, and it was only Feb.

I have never called him a thug, but he also wasn't a good student, athlete, and college bound as you have claimed.

The prosecution and the family fought to keep the defense from getting his school records and social media records. Had the school records been good, the PR guy would have been using them in his campaign, not hiding them. The court did give the defense the right to the records, but did not allow them to release them to the public. We may find out what was in them at trial.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
His own parents said he was an "average student" even while pushing the PR campaign lies. The family's attorneys had his school records sealed and scrubbed all of his social media profile- where he talked about leaky panties, loose *****, drugs, and swinging on a bus driver.
He quit playing football in middle school. The pictures they released were 5 years old. He was on his 3rd suspension that year, and it was only Feb.

I have never called him a thug, but he also wasn't a good student, athlete, and college bound as you have claimed.

The prosecution and the family fought to keep the defense from getting his school records and social media records. Had the school records been good, the PR guy would have been using them in his campaign, not hiding them. The court did give the defense the right to the records, but did not allow them to release them to the public. We may find out what was in them at trial.
Well maybe Trayvon did have average grades. What possible difference would that make in this case?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 AM

14,133 posts, read 7,638,472 times
Quote:
Every thug that gets shot while attacking someone was "college bound" and innocent according to some.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 AM

14,133 posts, read 7,638,472 times
Quote:
He was also carrying a gun, and if that's not an indication of a propensity for violence I don't know what is.
That's delusional.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-08-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies