Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:47 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
My point is if we are going to start redefining everything, might as well start with the obvious. Some might not want to go there, but why not? Lets deal with reality if indeed we have already went down the redefining route, which we have.
What is being redefined? We gay men and lesbians have been saying all along " we did not choose our sexual orientation " . Why is that not enough for the doubters of our sexuality? Any why must another thread be started and again by someone who has only negative ideas of homosexual people. This thread is just another example of the ignorance that keeps going around. Oh, just meant to add, we were gay before any studies and are still gay, there have always been gay people and there will be more in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 05:07 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
I guess the OP ran away with his tail between his legs after failing.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:24 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What do you think of his statement?
Looks quote-mined.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:26 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Simon Levay: "I didn't show that gay men are born that way, the most common mistake people make in interpreting my work. Nor did I locate a gay center in the brain."

Could it be that the entire "gene" theory is a hoax promoted by a corrupt activist media?
(This is actually a rhetorical question)

What do you think of his statement?
I think the entire "gene" theory is a hoax promoted by a corrupt activist media. And Maddow. And a few gay promoters/useless eaters that post on forums. But I repeat myself.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:27 PM

981 posts, read 1,620,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
What is being redefined? We gay men and lesbians have been saying all along " we did not choose our sexual orientation " . Why is that not enough for the doubters of our sexuality? Any why must another thread be started and again by someone who has only negative ideas of homosexual people. This thread is just another example of the ignorance that keeps going around. Oh, just meant to add, we were gay before any studies and are still gay, there have always been gay people and there will be more in the future.
It shouldn't even matter if it is a choice or not. People that are gay, whether by choice or nature, should be entitled to equal rights and treatment. The whole choice versus nature debate is utterly silly.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:30 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
I know this sounds far harsher than I intend it to when I put it this way but I can't understand why some are unable to comprehend that not everyone gets put together like everyone else.

Is the person born blind not actually blind because the vast majority have eyesight?

Old 04-06-2013, 05:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Could it be that the entire "gene" theory is a hoax promoted by a corrupt activist media?
Who really cares?

There were pro-gay people and anti-gay people before the gene theory was ever heard of, and there are pro-gay and anti-gay people now, and if the gene theory is discarded there will still be pro-gay and anti-gay people.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
I can no more remember choosing to be gay as I assume my heterosexual counterparts can no more remember choosing to be straight. Why is this such a hard concept for certain straights to understand.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:57 PM

152 posts, read 295,727 times
This has always been an interesting discussion to me because, if there is a "gay gene," it actually does have a somewhat negative connotation that a friend of mine pointed out: "If we, as scientists, must accept that there is a genetic disposition in some individuals towards homosexuality; and we must also accept that human beings, as biological entities, are supposed to be genetically programmed to have reproductive impulses in order to pass along DNA; does this imply that a gay gene might be a genetic disorder which causes people to reject their biological roles?"

I told him that it is an interesting thought to point out, but we must also realize that a tendency towards homosexuality does not imply that maternal nor paternal instincts have been eroded. So we came to produce a theory that homosexuality MIGHT be a built in biological control on population growth where some people are less inclined to enter into reproductive relationships yet still maintain their fertility and are capable of raising excess children (aka: orphans who need parents or something). It isn't a solid theory by any means since neither of us are geneticists so we aren't in the position where our professions would provide us with materials to test it, but I always wondered if there was any plausibility to our thoughts on the matter.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:00 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink101 View Post
This has always been an interesting discussion to me because, if there is a "gay gene," it actually does have a somewhat negative connotation that a friend of mine pointed out: "If we, as scientists, must accept that there is a genetic disposition in some individuals towards homosexuality; and we must also accept that human beings, as biological entities, are supposed to be genetically programmed to have reproductive impulses in order to pass along DNA; does this imply that a gay gene might be a genetic disorder which causes people to reject their biological roles?"

I told him that it is an interesting thought to point out, but we must also realize that a tendency towards homosexuality does not imply that maternal nor paternal instincts have been eroded. So we came to produce a theory that homosexuality MIGHT be a built in biological control on population growth where some people are less inclined to enter into reproductive relationships yet still maintain their fertility and are capable of raising excess children (aka: orphans who need parents or something). It isn't a solid theory by any means since neither of us are geneticists so we aren't in the position where our professions would provide us with materials to test it, but I always wondered if there was any plausibility to our thoughts on the matter.
Many lesbians still seem to desire to have children themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies