Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,014 times

Advertisements

I've seen a lot lately about not enough people working, too many getting handouts, too many new entitlements, etc.

I've posed the question previously and will do so again. What can be done to encourage people of working age to work? I know we need more jobs, those would be for people that want to work.

I know some that have never worked and live on welfare and cheat the system like crazy. The small number that I know that live on welfare and other such support have a rate of 30% of them that are able bodied and just don't want to work. I am really hoping that rate is not representative of all on assistance.

So let's brainstorm. What can be done to get more in the workforce and off government/taxpayer assistance? What are some ideas to make tax users into tax payers so there is more to keep us above water?

FYI, starting this thread because I truly want to know your ideas. Please avoid fingerpointing. We have enough of that these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Cut off the free money from Uncle Sam should be all the incentive they need to get a job.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 AM

That won't happen. Maybe cut off some of the extras? Some things not essential to basic survival?

Maybe financial incentive to provide for one's self?

I don't know all the answers, but looking for suggestions.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
That won't happen. Maybe cut off some of the extras? Some things not essential to basic survival?

Maybe financial incentive to provide for one's self?

I don't know all the answers, but looking for suggestions.
Yes I know. What's the point of a job ? To make money to pay your way through life.
It's all about the money and who gives it to them.

As long as Uncle Sam keeps the money flowing there's no incentive.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I've seen a lot lately about not enough people working, too many getting handouts, too many new entitlements, etc.

I've posed the question previously and will do so again. What can be done to encourage people of working age to work? I know we need more jobs, those would be for people that want to work.

I know some that have never worked and live on welfare and cheat the system like crazy. The small number that I know that live on welfare and other such support have a rate of 30% of them that are able bodied and just don't want to work. I am really hoping that rate is not representative of all on assistance.

So let's brainstorm. What can be done to get more in the workforce and off government/taxpayer assistance? What are some ideas to make tax users into tax payers so there is more to keep us above water?

FYI, starting this thread because I truly want to know your ideas. Please avoid fingerpointing. We have enough of that these days.
Jobs have to be there. I have three friends who have been forced into early retirement because they just can't find work (aged 60-62). They want to work but can't find it. I'm really concerned for myself right now. My teaching position is being eliminated and one of those three is a fellow engineer whose skill set is recent and relevent and he cannot find anything. I'm sitting here thinking that if he can't find a job with 6 month old relevent experience, there's not much hope for me with 6 year old outdated experience. Unlike him, I cannot retire. I have enough in my IRA that I'll be ok for retirement if I can hold out until I'm eligible for SS but I'm SOL if I have to start hitting that money at 54 to pay my bills.

The hard truth is there, simply, are not enough jobs. Before you can attack the people who don't want to work, how about addressing those who do want to work but cannot find work. People like me who have masters degrees in engineering and 20 years experience or my friend with a masters degree and 40 years experience.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:52 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
If you seriously know people who are scamming the system, report them with facts and insist on followup.

It's at least a start.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:55 AM

Let me put it another way. I work to support my family. I was working more than two. I quit one simply because it financially didn't make sense. Too far away and I didn't net enough for it to make any sense. I now work 2. The first pays the bills. The 2nd gives me $100 a month in pocket money. Not much but I don't mind. It's close to home and I can take the family out to dinner once a month.

My husband works and accepts overtime to pay for maybe a vacation for one week per year. We don't have extravagant lifestyles but enjoy a treat every now and then.

How can we make people see that there are rewards to working? How can we encourage them to desire rewards?

Old 04-07-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Jobs have to be there. I have three friends who have been forced into early retirement because they just can't find work (aged 60-62). They want to work but can't find it. I'm really concerned for myself right now. My teaching position is being eliminated and one of those three is a fellow engineer whose skill set is recent and relevent and he cannot find anything. I'm sitting here thinking that if he can't find a job with 6 month old relevent experience, there's not much hope for me with 6 year old outdated experience. Unlike him, I cannot retire. I have enough in my IRA that I'll be ok for retirement if I can hold out until I'm eligible for SS but I'm SOL if I have to start hitting that money at 54 to pay my bills.

The hard truth is there, simply, are not enough jobs. Before you can attack the people who don't want to work, how about addressing those who do want to work but cannot find work. People like me who have masters degrees in engineering and 20 years experience or my friend with a masters degree and 40 years experience.
Well yours is an issue that's been talked about. Some say there are plenty of jobs and just not enough skilled workers. People like you and your colleagues defy that concept. You are part of the unequal equation that want to work.

At 54, you are too young to retire and won't be eligible for it. You are expected to pay into our current system to support those that just do not work, many of which have been by choice far too long.

The point of beginning this thread was to see if people have any ideas as to what can be done to encourage more workers and less living off those that do.

I wish you the best of luck. If I were an employer, I would be happy to hire those like you with experience.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
There was a time when we didn't have food stamps. What we had instead were government subsidies. They were things like a bag of flour, peanut butter (which was awful) a bag of beans maybe a bag of rice. The food wasn't great but it was nutricious and would keep you sustained. If you wanted anything else you had to buy it. What did it take to buy something else?? Money. So to get that money you went to work. The system is too easy these days. A family on assistance actually eats better than I do.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:26 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

In my opinion, wheels have come off and you (and I) have to look within ourselves for the answers. We can't look for an employer, but rather have to employ ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies