Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 11:30 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
You missed it - the Vets were the restaurants owners, not the people talking loudly in a crowded area.
And, "for the record," at this particular restaurant, as at many of the restaurants in the area, people are often friendly & converse with strangers. Happens all the time.

No ideology to the food (Unless you think serving Blintzes, Latkes and Bagels & Lox ideological), but the restaurant's owners make no effort to hide their political beliefs through posters all over their walls.
I'm sure so long as they remain paying customers these diners are welcome. They can see the walls as well as everyone. No doubt they enjoyed that everyone was listening but I hope they also enjoyed their meal.

You really want a stir? Be going to a science fiction con and be in costume and stop on the way for lunch. But sometimes its fun to know everyone has noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,103 times
OP is a stalker in my opinion.
Odd how he memorized all this verbatim.
Unless its more spin. Who cares anyway?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:33 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It's a sad truth that some old people just like to COMPLAIN, and they look at the past through rose colored glasses. If they can't find something real to complain about, then they just make stuff up.
I think it's even sadder when you have people in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s who COMPLAIN about nonsense and apparently see the present through rose colored glasses. Just take a look at many of the posters on C-D. The OP is a good example.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 AM

308 posts, read 398,384 times
I notice it's not just old people who like to carp and complain about everything.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:27 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I do not believe this story. I didn't after Post 1, but when I read that the restaurant owners have
Quote:
political posters all over the restaurant walls
..............I call BS.
I don't think they would be that stupid!

Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
at this particular restaurant, as at many of the restaurants in the area, people are often friendly & converse with strangers. Happens all the time.

the restaurant's owners make no effort to hide their political beliefs through posters all over their walls.
Do they have their walls plastered with Good friends don't let friends vote Republican posters

I don't know if I'd interject in a political type discussion at a restaurant with a stranger,
especially if they were much older. I'd feel like I was overstepping that elder thing...

And, I would also wonder how boring the other patrons own conversations were, that they
had to chime in on someone else's to make their day/meal?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:35 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsta View Post
And why are so many conservative?
Typically a combination of intelligence, education, hard work, and a bit of luck - just like the rich liberals? Unlike some people here, I don't believe in making false (and childish) claims about half of the population, simply because I disagree with them on a few issues.

I was merely responding to a comment about liberal education = bad education, and the implication that liberals are generally failures. Not true.

Quote:
And why does this country suck now since the left has taken the reigns for the past 20+ years?
The country hasn't sucked for the last 20 years, and in case you've forgotten, we did have a Republican President for 8 of those years - and he didn't exactly improve the situation! I realize the POTUS doesn't control everything, but considering how the right blames Obama for everything (if their car broke down they'd blame it on him), I figure we should also hold other Presidents responsible for stuff.

Quote:
I'm a recent product of the public education system. There definitely is a nudge to the left. My 11th grade English teacher never hesitated to make her leftist leanings known to the class and go off on diatribes about homeless people and gay rights for 20 minutes. Same with my 12th grade lit teacher. I can only imagine what university would be like.
I finished graduate school at a public California University a little over 6 years ago, and honestly cannot recall a SINGLE professor ever going on political diatribes. Even in a political class ("Intellectual Freedom" seminar) the instructor let us do 99% of the debating. It never happened in college either, and that wasn't too long ago... so I'm not sure what to say, except that you only do yourself a disservice by passing on higher education. I will never regret earning those degrees, and have managed to secure a very nice job thanks to them.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-08-2013 at 04:50 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 04:46 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I once changed insurance companies because my agent had a couple of 0bama bumper stickers displayed in her office.
You changed insurance agents because of her political leanings? My, how tolerant and open-minded of you. (and why on earth would that even matter?)

Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
You are entitled to your opinion. The other posters who do feel that veterans are special are entitled to their opinion. I am also entitled to mine, so get off it.

My husband served in Vietnam. My youngest son served in Iraq.
I never said you weren't entitled to your opinion so don't tell me "to get off it" because I disagree.

It's rude.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Since the weather was beautiful today, we decided to go out for breakfast at a favorite restaurant of ours with outdoor dining, owned by two decorated war veterans, one a Viet Vet, and the other a vet of the Israeli Army.

The people (in their 70's - 80's & dressed to the 9's) having a conversation at the table next to us caused a bit if a stir. We did not say anything, but a few others in the restaurant did. Here are some of their more "juicy" quotes"

"My grandchildren have been brainwashed. They're Liberals."

"I know two people who are atheists. They think they should have rights, too, even without going to church."

"Did you see that car in the lot that had an Obama sticker on it? Where did they come from?

And the statement that finally evoked a response from someone:

"I'm glad my kids already went to college. I wouldn't let them go now. You know what the colleges are doing? They hire only Liberal professors & they're only allowed to teach liberal things." THis is where someone else chimed in & asked what their kids majored in. A woman answered "My son is an electrical engineer," which prompted the response "Can you please tell me the difference between Liberal Calculus & Conservative Calculus?" The woman responded "That's my point - my son could not have become an engineer if he had to go to college today." Several others joined in at this point , some even laughing, but fortunately, nothing nasty happened. I guess the blue skies & brilliant sunshine helped!

Considering the proprietors of this restaurant are way to the Left of pretty much anyone I know, I think these people may have picked the wrong restaurant.

So, you make it a habit of eavesdropping?

Somebody needs a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies