U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:04 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,265,813 times

Advertisements

I generally think it's a good thing when Americans ignore the travel embargo, because I don't think it's a valid exercise of US federal government authority in the first place.

It does seem bizarre that a pair of so-called "Republicans" in this case are champions of a very intrusive big-government law which grants the US veto power over the private travel plans of citizens who aren't even in the US.

Morally, the law can certainly be disregarded. As a practical matter, enforcement is fairly lax these days. The last attempt to enforce the rules on individual travelers with any degree of effort was in 2006, and it was a political flop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 05:36 PM

49,724 posts, read 26,369,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As well as the double standard as applied to those citizens in your country illegally from Mexico being allowed to send "remittance" home.

It isn't like Cuba invaded you to the tune of 12-15 million illegals with the help of the Cuban government.

You've lost more of your youth to the bullcrap from Iraq and Pakistan harbouring and aiding terrorists yet you send them billions along with weapons and munitions of varying value and technology.

Even the Cuban ex-pats who resist any diplomatic approaches to cuba have the ability to travel there.

Whatever problem you had with Cuba was 60 years ago. Time to move on.
You're preaching to the choir...believe me. I've been calling it a farce from the beginning.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 PM

8,561 posts, read 5,417,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I generally think it's a good thing when Americans ignore the travel embargo, because I don't think it's a valid exercise of US federal government authority in the first place.

It does seem bizarre that a pair of so-called "Republicans" in this case are champions of a very intrusive big-government law which grants the US veto power over the private travel plans of citizens who aren't even in the US.

Morally, the law can certainly be disregarded. As a practical matter, enforcement is fairly lax these days. The last attempt to enforce the rules on individual travelers with any degree of effort was in 2006, and it was a political flop.
Those two Republicans are the children of old Exiles. Diaz Balart's father was a high-ranking official in the Batista government.....therefore, Diaz Balart and Ros-Lehtinen are not likely to back off of support for the Embargo.

Ileana Ros y Adato was born in Havana, Cuba, one of two children born to Enrique Ros and his wife, Amanda Adato. The family emigrated to the United States when Ileana was seven years old.

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Diaz-Balart was born in Fort Lauderdale in 1961 to the late Cuban politician Rafael Diaz-Balart. His aunt, Mirta Diaz-Balart, was the first wife of Fidel Castro. Her son, and his cousin, is Fidel Ángel "Fidelito" Castro Díaz-Balart.

Mario Diaz-Balart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rafael Lincoln Díaz-Balart y Gutiérrez (January 17, 1926 in Banes, Cuba - May 6, 2005) was a Cuban politician. Díaz-Balart served as Majority Leader of the Cuban House of Representatives and Minister of the Interior during the presidency of Fulgencio Batista

Rafael Diaz-Balart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-07-2013, 07:08 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,545,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There are over 300,000 Americans who visit Cuba every year. What's the big deal?
You just made a big deal out of it with this thread.
More Liberal Propaganda and Rhetoric from the left.
Blame Republicans for doing their job.
Liberals need to get a clue and grow up.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:14 PM

23,851 posts, read 19,763,944 times
Barack's got their back. Loyalty to the race is a very strong emotion.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:19 PM

8,561 posts, read 5,417,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Barack's got their back. Loyalty to the race is a very strong emotion.
Obviously YOU did not bother to read the posts in this thread. Apparently, President Obama has in "effect" lifted the travel restrictions for everybody, while not technically lifting the Embargo and travel restrictions. You really should read the posts here so you know what is going on.

Hey! Is that the "race card" you just played?

Old 04-07-2013, 08:15 PM

49,724 posts, read 26,369,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Why didn't more Republicans do their jobs then instead of just the two Republican members that are complaining?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 AM

26,483 posts, read 11,074,588 times
Quote:
Oh the irony. Republicans advocate freedom but won't allow Americans to travel to where they choose.

BBC News - Beyonce and Jay-Z visit to Cuba queried in US Congress
Go where you're told mundane. We own you.

U.S. citizens traveling to Cuba without a license from the U.S. Treasury is illegal, and there is a huge fine (I think $250,000) and a prison sentence if convicted.

Was it republicans who made this anti freedom rule? I'd bet both sides had a hand in it. If the dems care so much more about freedoms than repubs why aren't they leading the way to repeal all the restrictions on Cuba? I wish they would.
You don't get it, both sides are the same.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 04-08-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 AM

26,483 posts, read 11,074,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Doing their job?
I can't wait until the little neighbor kid tries to have a lemonade stand in his yard so I can report him.
See something, say something!

Old 04-08-2013, 09:34 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,223 posts, read 1,585,195 times
Quote:
Oh the irony. Republicans advocate freedom but won't allow Americans to travel to where they choose.

BBC News - Beyonce and Jay-Z visit to Cuba queried in US Congress
I say slap the a$$holes in jail and fine them the max.
They think their celebrity and connections to the Criminal in Chief allows them to break the laws the rest of us are held accountable to.

That is what leftist idealism always leads to - an oppressed underclass and privileged ruling class and their cronies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies