Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:32 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes, because it's a SCHOOL. An elementary school in a quiet town, not a juvenile detention center on Riker's Island.
Welcome to the new real world we have created... Welcome to the reality of where we have arrived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
The guards at Columbine were under strict orders not to use their firearms under any circumstances. What is the purpose of being armed if you're not permitted to stop an attacker? They were also poorly trained. We have learned a lot thanks to Columbine but sadly we haven't applied any of what we have learned.
Can you provide a reference/source/link for your information please?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
It can't happen here.... people need to wake up. It can happen ANYWHERE and f you fail to take even the most basic protective measures who is at fault? There has been a HISTORY of school shootings and the reason is there are many "targets" that can't defend themselves. Isn't up to the community to ensure these children are safe? Only a fool would think some sort of law would protect a child from the hands of a killer.

These killers are looking for a body count, they don't care about the law.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:42 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Actually thats exactly what government schools are.
Oh blow me. What a heinous thing to say. Those kids do not deserve that from you. They did not invite this upon themselves by their criminal lifestyle. What complete asshattery. Jesus.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:43 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Can you provide a reference/source/link for your information please?
Actually it was from an FBI report I read shortly after the shootings and I don't know where to find it now and am heading out the door to go to dinner, but I'm sure if you look it's still out there and you will find my comments accurate.. It wasn't much to remember.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
It can't happen here.... people need to wake up. It can happen ANYWHERE and f you fail to take even the most basic protective measures who is at fault? There has been a HISTORY of school shootings and the reason is there are many "targets" that can't defend themselves. Isn't up to the community to ensure these children are safe? Only a fool would think some sort of law would protect a child from the hands of a killer.

These killers are looking for a body count, they don't care about the law.
How about if parents pack heat along with lunch for our children?

The NRA would love that solution!

Last edited by jojajn; 04-07-2013 at 07:04 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 06:47 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,036,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Not one of these people mentioned the lack of security controls at the school. The answer is some sort of useless gun control law? How about preventing a homicidal mental case from walking in the front door of a target rich environment? I heard some of the parents claim 11 children escaped because the shooter had to reload; how many would have escaped if the shooter couldn't get into the building?

I believe the citizens of Newtown are responsible for the death of the children. They FAILED to protect the children. Rather than admit failure they are blaming an inanimate object.
If you didn't want to hear their story you could have changed the damn channel.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:48 PM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Yeah, let's blame the parents because an elementary school wasn't armed and locked down like a maximum security prison
I stopped reading this thread after this post, which says it all.

The norm has always been, and should be, that children and teachers can be in a classroom without fear of death stalking them.

Of course, I am pragmatic. The new reality is that we have a lot of mentally ill people running about. I guess that schools have to bow to this new reality. So, yes, schools will have to take security measures, but society will also have to pitch in, such as rigorous background checks, the elimination of the 'gun show' loopholes, and banning certain weapons that are simply designed to kill a lot of people quickly.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:49 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh blow me. What a heinous thing to say. Those kids do not deserve that from you. They did not invite this upon themselves by their criminal lifestyle. What complete asshattery. Jesus.
Cap your fake outrage. my comment had nothing to do with the children and everything to do with the gun free government kill zone called a public school.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Actually it was from an FBI report I read shortly after the shootings and I don't know where to find it now and am heading out the door to go to dinner, but I'm sure if you look it's still out there and you will find my comments accurate.. It wasn't much to remember.

Don't make "drive-by posts" with inaccurate information. If you want to contribute, do your homework.

The guard was armed and did fire at the Columbine shooter.

Quote:
Yes, there was, and it was the guard's presence and the resistance he and others offered that kept the carnage less than it might have been.
On April 20, 1999, Neil Gardner, an armed sheriff's deputy who had been policing the school for almost two years, was eating lunch when Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold arrived at Columbine with their deadly arsenal and deadlier intentions.
Gardner said he got a call from a custodian that he was needed in the school's back parking lot. A few minutes later, he encountered Harris, and the two exchanged gunfire. The exchange with Harris lasted for an extended period of time, during which Harris' gun jammed.

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: NRA's Wayne LaPierre Advocates Armed School Guards Like At Columbine - Investors.com
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies