U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Warren County and loving it!
5,313 posts, read 7,558,424 times
Reputation: 2880

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
If he is so bad, how did he win in '12? Obviously he is well-liked enough as a President to keep his job. I will say that for me, financially and job-wise, the best period of my life has been the last 4 or 5 years. I have no complaints...my taxes went up in January, but I am still able to afford everything I need/want.

Besides who else were the Republicans gonna run in 2012 that could beat Obama? Santorum? That guy scares people!
People were paranoid over social issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,163,089 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm thinking he has until the mid terms if the economy doesn't turn around he'll go down as one of the worst two term presidents in American history.
The first things he did was the stimulus bill and cash for clunkers. Neither of which worked, made things worse even.

He has been a failure as president since February of 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
10,032 posts, read 7,112,453 times
Reputation: 4207
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This.^^

They tried this spiel in his first term hoping that it would catch on and he'd lose the election, and they failed miserably.

So now they're trying to save face by declaring him a failure.

This from the crowd that gave Dubya a second term while he was clearly screwing up 2 wars.
And....

This from the crowd that gave Odumbo another term while he was clearly screwing up the entire country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,163,089 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts. You say the job market did not fair well? Clinton took office in January 1993. I merely just need to link to the BLS data to prove you wrong.

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
1993 310 241 -49 309 268 174 299 162 242 280 262 312
1994 269 203 466 350 331 310 362 298 354 207 418 276
1995 320 207 223 161 -14 232 79 275 244 150 148 132
1996 -22 435 264 162 323 281 234 199 220 247 299 168
1997 232 302 315 291 260 257 289 -11 508 340 304 304
1998 273 194 146 279 400 210 120 351 219 194 281 347
1999 123 409 108 373 213 263 293 191 203 403 291 300
2000 233 130 471 287 225 -46 166 2 127 -12 223 138

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Clinton created tens of millions of jobs, passed tax increases that Republicans said would tank the economy. GW Bush cut taxes and presided over a net job loss.

The economy boomed throughout Clinton's presidency, not just beginning in 1997. According to Forbes Presidents And Prosperity - Forbes.com. Clinton tops the last ten presidents in their prosperity ranking.

Not bad for someone you claimed did "nothing."
You are entitled to your opinion but not your own facts. There were not tens of millions of new people entering the workforce so it is impossible that tens of millions of new jobs were filled.
You need to look at how "new" jobs are counted by the government before making up silly statist claims. How does raising taxes create jobs anyway? lols.

Clinton cut capital tax rates (33% to 15% I believe). And he left the internet completely alone. No regulation and no taxes. The economy boomed.

The economy did well under Clinton because he cut taxes for the rich and took a laissez-faire attitude toward the largest growing economic sector. The exact opposite of what liberals claim help the economy.

It kinda makes sense though. Letting people do what they want with what they earned instead of giving to some misanthropic garden slug in D.C.

P.S. The day Clinton took office the United States population was 257,746,103 . When he left it was 270,298,524. Little of it was from immigration. So where did these "tens of millions of jobs" come from and who exactly performed them? lols.

Last edited by OhioRules; 06-09-2013 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,715 posts, read 11,534,071 times
Reputation: 5606
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You are entitled to your opinion but not your own facts. There were not tens of millions of new people entering the workforce so it is impossible that tens of millions of new jobs were filled.
You need to look at how "new" jobs are counted by the government before making up silly statist claims. How does raising taxes create jobs anyway? lols.

Clinton cut capital tax rates (33% to 15% I believe). And he left the internet completely alone. No regulation and no taxes. The economy boomed.

The economy did well under Clinton because he cut taxes for the rich and took a laissez-faire attitude toward the largest growing economic sector. The exact opposite of what liberals claim help the economy.

It kinda makes sense though. Letting people do what they want with what they earned instead of giving to some misanthropic garden slug in D.C.
You are entitled to your opinion but not your own facts. Clinton raised taxes, over the objections of Republican, who said that raising taxes would tank the economy: FLASHBACK: In 1993, GOP Warned That Clinton's Tax Plan Would 'Kill Jobs,' 'Kill The Current Recovery' | ThinkProgress

Quote:
ep. Newt Gingrich (R-GA), February 2, 1993: We have all too many people in the Democratic administration who are talking about bigger Government, bigger bureaucracy, more programs, and higher taxes. I believe that that will in fact kill the current recovery and put us back in a recession. It might take 1 1/2 or 2 years, but it will happen. (Congressional Record, 1993, Thomas)
But I really can't believe that you deny that Clinton added 22 million jobs. it's public record.

You also asked, "How does raising taxes create jobs anyway?" Answer: In the mid 1990s, government was competing with private borrowers for funds. However, by raising taxes the government ran a surplus and wasn't competing with private borrowers, who then could borrow at a lower rate than they otherwise would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 AM
 
Location: it depends
6,074 posts, read 5,322,297 times
Reputation: 5771
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'm remembering that many of you declared him the worst before he even got the nomination for the '08 election.
You must have forgotten that 75% of all of us were on his side (approval ratings) on Inauguration Day. He has richly earned the much lower ratings and discord and division he has sown since that day.

I'm not certain he will go down in history as one of the three or four worst presidents ever, but it seems clear that he peaked on Inauguration Day and it has been downhill ever since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 08:06 AM
 
Location: None of your business
5,467 posts, read 3,766,594 times
Reputation: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The first things he did was the stimulus bill and cash for clunkers. Neither of which worked, made things worse even.

He has been a failure as president since February of 2009.
lol, nothing like encouraging people to cash in their clunkers to buy cars with a car payment. They couldn't afford the car payment before why would they be able afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,398,572 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Clinton cut capital tax rates (33% to 15% I believe). And he left the internet completely alone. No regulation and no taxes. The economy boomed.
Actually it was from 28% to 20%, Bush then lowered it to 15%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,398,572 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
You are entitled to your opinion but not your own facts. Clinton raised taxes, over the objections of Republican, who said that raising taxes would tank the economy: FLASHBACK: In 1993, GOP Warned That Clinton's Tax Plan Would 'Kill Jobs,' 'Kill The Current Recovery' | ThinkProgress
And when Clinton raised taxes, the economy slowed down.

Please tell me economics professor MTA, how does taking money out of the economy, cause people to spend more

It wasnt until AFTER the tax cuts the economy grew and allowed jobs to be created.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
3,039 posts, read 2,163,089 times
Reputation: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
lol, nothing like encouraging people to cash in their clunkers to buy cars with a car payment. They couldn't afford the car payment before why would they be able afterward.
And it destroyed 100,000s of perfectly good used cars. Which drove used car prices up around 10%. Who buys used cars? The poor. They very people he claims to help. lols.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top