U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM

8,287 posts, read 7,497,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by butkus51 View Post
I lived in Chicago. I would not live there again. Not as a student either. Frankly. you're nothing more than a fool to deny anything that I have said. I have told nothing but the truth.
I didn't only live in Chicago as a student. I was illustrating, in response to your claim that Chicago isn't affordable to anyone but professionals, how little money one can earn and still live in Chicago and have a good time.

The fact is is that you don't reside in the city of Chicago. Your perspective is worth nothing more than anyone else's who lived in the city and left. Of course, I also spend 2 months of the year living in the city, so I certainly have more first-hand experience than you who occasionally pops in for a tourist visit to Gino's East.

Quote:
LOL! No. I didn't have to dodge them. That's because I was in bed as we heard the gunshots when we lived there. 2321 South Leavitt. Here are the crime stats even now. We lived there in 1965 and nothing has changed. No drama here 'visitor.
Obviously the experience scarred you. I live in Baltimore and have heard my share of gunshots, but I don't live in fear about it. Frankly I'm not involved in the drug trade, so my chances of being shot are almost nil.

You live in the suburbs, which, by the way, have the value that they do because of their proximity to . . . Chicago, and you are happy there. Fine. But stop acting like you are some expert on Chicago because you heard some gunshots in 1965.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM

45,400 posts, read 33,733,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Who goes to Gino's for soup?? When I go there I go for pizza, but honestly I prefer Lou's more.
Me too.
Did you know they commission their own tomatoes? Closest U.S. tomato to San Marzano.
NJ still grow the best for fresh tomato use.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:53 AM

1,127 posts, read 769,565 times
Quote:
Hey genius. Go online and look at Gino's menu. My brother wanted to go to the city location on Wells. He was here from Florida. A tourist. They have these things called prices. Then look up their parking rates. The Meat Lovers Pizza is $33 per. The brew was $30 a pitcher. Two pitchers of Coke and two drafts. Get a calculator then have someone show you how to read it and use it. But thank you for admitting the city is far more expensive. In short, you're ignorant.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...CNncXVRs3rC8oQ

And where do you live? What if you can't take the train or do not want to? Are you saying my numbers were wrong? Which ones? I gave the high end and you gave the low. The costs I cited are actual.
So you and your brother drank 4 pitchers of beer and soda and two deep dish pizzas?

Now that's what you call living LARGE

Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 AM

4,839 posts, read 3,546,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
I didn't only live in Chicago as a student. I was illustrating, in response to your claim that Chicago isn't affordable to anyone but professionals, how little money one can earn and still live in Chicago and have a good time.

The fact is is that you don't reside in the city of Chicago. Your perspective is worth nothing more than anyone else's who lived in the city and left. Of course, I also spend 2 months of the year living in the city, so I certainly have more first-hand experience than you who occasionally pops in for a tourist visit to Gino's East.

Obviously the experience scarred you. I live in Baltimore and have heard my share of gunshots, but I don't live in fear about it. Frankly I'm not involved in the drug trade, so my chances of being shot are almost nil.

You live in the suburbs, which, by the way, have the value that they do because of their proximity to . . . Chicago, and you are happy there. Fine. But stop acting like you are some expert on Chicago because you heard some gunshots in 1965.
My friend & I just heard a gunshot somewhere around my neighborhood on Friday night. This was after we watched police drive down a street using searchlights. Now that's something I haven't seen in my neighborhood before. But I like where I live. It's not suburbia, thank GOD, but it's not the ghetto either. We have some crime, like break-in's but I live in a relatively safe pocket. You couldn't pay me to move to the 'burbs. Nothing but chain restaurants as far as the eye can see. Honestly, how can anyone live in that? And then when the suburbanites come to the city for their big night out, they have no idea how to park or drive. They stick out like sore thumbs.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Go online and look at Gino's menu. My brother wanted to go to the city location on Wells. He was here from Florida. A tourist. They have these things called prices. Then look up their parking rates. The Meat Lovers Pizza is $33 per. The brew was $30 a pitcher. Two pitchers of Coke and two drafts. Get a calculator then have someone show you how to read it and use it. But thank you for admitting the city is far more expensive.
One can usually find frozen Ginos on sale for about $5 a pizza at Jewel, Dominicks or Marianos. Eat at home and hop the train to Union Station and head over to Navy Pier.The tall ship Windy cannot be beat for a fabulous sunset/fireworks cruise. If you time it right, fireworks will be blowing at Navy Pier and Sox Park on the same night. Nothing else like this anywhere in the U.S. Discount coupons are available in season. You can even help raise/lower the sails, if inclined. Grab a Chicago hot dog afterwards.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
So you and your brother drank 4 pitchers of beer and soda and two deep dish pizzas?

Now that's what you call living LARGE
A neighbor does the Living Large Radio broadcast from Chicago. The premise is real men radio. Lots of cigar, beer, baseball and guy talk:

Lisa Lockwood

He committed to not being as large as he once was. He has a loyal fan base.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:43 AM

5,740 posts, read 5,838,098 times
Quote:
Then you've just described yourself 'outsider'. You live 2 hours away. So how are your mommy issues going?
Read the post and try again.
Yep, and bashers certainly do have personal issues.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:50 AM

5,740 posts, read 5,838,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
The "real Chicago" for me is the NW Side, where I was born and spent my youth. Parts of the West and North sides too, but just parts.

I guess, for comparison (and a very rought one), the NW Side would be equivilant to the outer boroughs of NYC, perhaps Queens or the further reaches of Brooklyn.

@@@

But ever since Hillary Clinton...and now Obama....came on the scene Chicago has been the "Mordor" for the Right Wing Wingnuts...the locus of all socio-political evil in the USA. A city of immigrants and a lot of minorities of various parts and white folks who vote Democratic! And Crime! Quelle Horror!
Yep, just because of Obama, Chicago is now a major target of right-wing trolls and Faux News.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:55 AM

46,054 posts, read 29,344,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Me too.
Did you know they commission their own tomatoes? Closest U.S. tomato to San Marzano.
NJ still grow the best for fresh tomato use.
I actually did not know that.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM

487 posts, read 686,856 times
Quote:
Nothing is more galling than an impudent child from 1000 miles away claiming to know anything about Chicago. Ignorant, loud mouthed tourists. And then they're so stupid as not to know many Chicago restaurants have built in the suburbs because people got the hell out of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
How many international tourists does your neighborhood get??
What's wrong with tourists? Chicagoans enjoy going to ethnic neighborhoods so they are tourists too.
Sure restaurants opened up in suburbia but so did so many retail chains to go along with that....
same old, same old. However, (and a great example) on Devon Ave. between Californian & Western
there are several blocks that make up a wonderful melting pot of nationalities from Russia, India,
Pakistan & Iraq. Countries and cultures that wouldn't get along abroad do there. What an experience:
the smells, the food, the shops and the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies