U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2013, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,505 posts, read 51,238,770 times
Reputation: 24606

Advertisements

There are some places in this country where I would consider a 30 round magazine insufficient. In those places happiness is a belt fed weapon. The Browning M-2 in a flexible mount was my favorite. A couple of them even better. Add a radio to an artillery battery and/or air support and I might even go there.

Why are the gun grabbers grabbing? Maybe they are simply afraid of guns. Posted elsewhere:

I do not understand the fear some people have of anyone owning guns of any kind. What is so frightening about your neighbors owning guns and using them legally? These people are no threat to you so why are you so very frightened? Are you afraid of getting shot or are you more afraid of having to shoot a criminal and having a gun to do it? I am a Liberal Democrat but I am not frightened by people owning and carrying firearms. In fact I am reassured by that because it will lead criminals to assume I am armed even when I am not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 AM
 
Location: The Golden State, USA
935 posts, read 590,273 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Traffic laws, drunk driving laws, and murder laws, don't limit the ability for law abiding citizens to protect themselves, nor do those laws step on the constitution of the U. S.
The enacted & proposed laws are not in violation of the Constitution. You'll still be able to own a firearm and be able to protect yourself provided you're not on the list of those who will be prohibited from owning a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Tampa Florida
22,243 posts, read 15,267,250 times
Reputation: 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
There are some places in this country where I would consider a 30 round magazine insufficient. In those places happiness is a belt fed weapon. The Browning M-2 in a flexible mount was my favorite. A couple of them even better. Add a radio to an artillery battery and/or air support and I might even go there.

Why are the gun grabbers grabbing? Maybe they are simply afraid of guns. Posted elsewhere:

I do not understand the fear some people have of anyone owning guns of any kind. What is so frightening about your neighbors owning guns and using them legally? These people are no threat to you so why are you so very frightened? Are you afraid of getting shot or are you more afraid of having to shoot a criminal and having a gun to do it? I am a Liberal Democrat but I am not frightened by people owning and carrying firearms. In fact I am reassured by that because it will lead criminals to assume I am armed even when I am not.
I am not against it either, as long as there is a reasonable expectation that the person carrying the gun will do so responsibly. That, I feel, would require sensible regulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 10:00 AM
 
51,670 posts, read 41,613,932 times
Reputation: 32271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The gun fetishists would have us take away the laws against murder, because "murderers don't follow them anyway."
I always wondered what a Strawman would look like after a massive stroke or 15minutes without oxygen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 10:22 AM
 
361 posts, read 289,929 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't think anyone stated this would result in no gun crime but sensible laws are a step in the right direction, I know it's going to be tough getting by with less than a 30 round magazine.
In fairness, there is a whole lot more to the Connecticut law than simply magazine restriction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,702 posts, read 9,797,871 times
Reputation: 9731
The issue is not "how much is too much" but when did the government get the POWER to tell YOU what you can or cannot carry in defense of person or property?

When you figure that out, you might start standing upright in the pasture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 AM
 
36,486 posts, read 15,977,952 times
Reputation: 8284
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Your state leadership is amazing!

Who knew that simply banning high capacity magazines and certain weapons would end gun violence!?

Can we expect zero gun crime now?
When the next gun crime is committed in one of these states will the victims be able to sue because they took away the victims right to protect themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM
 
20,978 posts, read 16,218,465 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Poor whittle whiney right wing crybabies claim some liberals told them this would "end gun violence" and criminals "would respect those laws".
Then why pass them?

Control perhaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
 
1,519 posts, read 1,057,347 times
Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Your reasoning is sound except for gun laws. The problem with "gun laws" such as what CT passed is that there is no evidence they will be effective.

Eliminating large magazine sales? What do you think will actually be the outcome of this change?
Adding more weapons to the banned list? What will happen?
Requiring citizens to register their large capacity magazines? Do you think many actually will tell CT they have a 9mm handgun with a 15 round magazine?

Enhanced background checks WILL prevent retail and gunshow sales of firearms to a few people.
No no - you misunderstand. I am not saying that these laws are sensible. I am saying that the reasoning employed to say that gun laws are pointless is very flawed and non-sensical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 11:35 AM
 
1,561 posts, read 1,655,317 times
Reputation: 1046
God forbid we have a common sense discussion on guns/self defense.....

I don't understand the need that some of the NRA types have regarding the need to own an arsenal large enough to arm a mid sized South American country but on the same hand many on the left are either hopeless idealists that think if Obama simply walked up to a podium and declared the United States a "gun fee zone" all gun crime would magically end or they are hard core nut cases that feel no criminal is responsible for his actions and there is no such thing as justifiable self defense for any non criminal.

Are we all really this stupid?

How many gun crimes do you think we would have if we ended our "War on Drugs"? I'd venture to say that the vast majority of gun crime is caused by the illegal drug trade and/or drug addiction. I'd say we'd see at least a 50% drop if not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top