Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:18 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,771,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Governments don't suffer under sanctions, the citizens do.
So drop sanctions on Cuba? Iran? North Korea?

Serious question (I actually don't think Cuba should be so heavily sanctioned anymore).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Christ people, have some respect. I don't care if she was a right winger or not. The same people on here gloating & insulting her are the same ones who would turn around & call out the idiot righties on here who do the very same thing w/liberal deaths.
Sorry Pal, your boy started this when he said Reagan and Thatcher are walking together in Heaven....LOL

What nonsense!

But no, the left and the internet are not going to let the right do to Thatcher what they did to Reagan

Hagiography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-08-2013, 08:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
More than that, she and Reagan opposed economic sanctions against South Africa's Apartheid government.
You mean the very same economic sanctions that Nelson Mendela opposed, and Clinton lifted?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:20 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I thought liberal loons don't believe in religion?
Lol,

Old 04-08-2013, 08:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
So drop sanctions on Cuba? Iran? North Korea?

Serious question (I actually don't think Cuba should be so heavily sanctioned anymore).
Cuba is a perfect example of what sanctions do to the people. Does the government seemed harmed? Not the least..

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Do you think it is seen by many in the UK as commendable of her to intentionally work to develop that accent she spoke with to mimic the old landed Tory establishment?
I think the Establishment found lots of things about her style and manner to look down on. Everyone remembers her as the unremitting enemy of working-class Britain, but her first victims were actually the ones at the top, not the bottom.

In my opinion, it's really a testament to the profound effect she had on British society that we hardly even remember what British society was like in the decades immediately prior to her 1979 victory: the old landed-and-titled upper class is now all but gone, its members eagerly merging and melding themselves with the new plutocratic elite which, more than anyone else, she was responsible for creating.

But as much as her accent was manufactured, and far from what a Grantham grocer's daughter might have been expected to sound like, it was never really cut-glass aristo: more the accent of the upper-middle class than the county set.

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Examples of the tolerant left, who proclaims its right wingers that hate..
Liberals are only tolerant of people who agree with them.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Christ people, have some respect. I don't care if she was a right winger or not. The same people on here gloating & insulting her are the same ones who would turn around & call out the idiot righties on here who do the very same thing w/liberal deaths.
Absolutely agreed. Yes, she was responsible for some human suffering. Yes, she was an extremely divisive figure. But she was a human being: ask not for whom the bell tolls.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,976,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
I think the Establishment found lots of things about her style and manner to look down on. Everyone remembers her as the unremitting enemy of working-class Britain, but her first victims were actually the ones at the top, not the bottom.

In my opinion, it's really a testament to the profound effect she had on British society that we hardly even remember what British society was like in the decades immediately prior to her 1979 victory: the old landed-and-titled upper class is now all but gone, its members eagerly merging and melding themselves with the new plutocratic elite which, more than anyone else, she was responsible for creating.

But as much as her accent was manufactured, and far from what a Grantham grocer's daughter might have been expected to sound like, it was never really cut-glass aristo: more the accent of the upper-middle class than the county set.
Yes, that's a much better description of the accent. Even thought the Conservatives are just recently back in power. I think they've tempered their platform much more so than when she was in office.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:25 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Sorry Pal, your boy started this when he said Reagan and Thatcher are walking together in Heaven....LOL

What nonsense!

But no, the left and the internet are not going to let the right do to Thatcher what they did to Reagan

Hagiography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't call me pal & I don't know who "your boy" is. If he's a conservative he's definitely not my boy, I'm a liberal. I think it's disrespectful to talk ill of the dead. Not to mention hypocritical because I am betting that you would be pissed if these conservatives turned around & talked ill of the dead if the dead were a liberal politician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies