Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

parried, why not start an internet business? check out sites like incomeathome.com and see what they have that you can do. that way you control the amount of money you make, and the amount of time you spend at the job, and when you spend time at the job. many employers are going to stay away from disabled people for a variety of reasons, not the leat of which is the inconsistent hours they tend to be able to put in at work. and some disabilities can cause issues on the job which again employers are looking to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 04:06 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
I have a disability myself. The aftermath of a nasty bike wreck when I was 18. 30 years ago. I have always worked. Much of it in physically demading jobs. Five years ago, I started having issues with the injury that slowed me up, a bunch. But, I pushed through. Now, I am in a position where highly physical work takes to much out of me. Being in pain, and not being able to properly concentrate can get one hurt, or killed, with a lot that I do.

Like you, I WANT to work. Having limitations, such as I am experiencing, is frustrating. Oh, I have heard all the "constructive advice", from people who have no clue, about how I should cope. There are all kinds of "tough" guys, that want to tell you what they would do. "You just need to tough it out". "Pain is all in your mind". "Your just giving up and letting it beat you". On and on it goes. I have been trying to get into a different phase of my work. I have skills that cover the whole range of the trade. I have tried to get into the estimation, planning, and design aspects, but employers want to see a college degree for that. Any degree, it does not even have to be in anything that remotely has any relation to the trade. I have 25 years in the field, and that is not as good or better than a four year degree in basketweaving.

Like you, I am fed up with the circle jerk. Yea yea...I just need to knuckle down, go back to school, tough up, blah blah. Thats easy for someone who doesn't have an ex wife, that soaks them for 50 percent of their income to say. And, looking at not being able to continue with what they have done, for work, for a quarter century.

I have no advice for you, really. I do, however, understand your position. You want someone to give you a chance. And you know, inside, that you can succeed. Employers do balk at people with disabilities. It's a fact. When you tell people of your disability, it seems like folks just jump straight to thinking you're some kind of freeloader. Milking the system. Faking your symptoms, trying to garner sympathy for an easy ride. I hear ya man. It's tough out there for those of us that have REAL disability.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
I don't know what your disability consits of. You appear intelligent and full of self worth. Which i so apprecaite it. In this day, of the give me bunch you owe me, i deserve that, does not matter i have not gone to College, the sucessful owe me a bunch. And those who are defrauding the welfare system, and beleive me there are tons of people out there doing this. I have friends who work in different S.S. offices.

I want to see those with disabilities working, and feeling the sense of worth that comes with a job.

I thought there were programs in place thruout the different States, for those with disabilities. With your will and determination i would not give up. I appreciate with sincerity your desire to want to work, i think that is a great quality, and would not give up. In this day and age, of the you owe me, i deserve that, why you and not me, i appreciate your, will to want to work for youself, and you do deserve self gratification. I respect you more then the lazy bums out there, who put those more sucessful, and those who make more money then themsevles down.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
That is great. This old dog never knew that. You can learn something every day.
The Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center (FHCC) at Great Lakes has many civilian employees as housekeepers, orderlies, nurses, assistant nurses, doctors, office personnel, and in other areas too.

Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center - Locations

Old 04-08-2013, 04:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Default I understand what you're going through

Being disabled myself for the last 13 years AND have a son who is also disabled due to Autism Spectrum and ADHD. Yes, Voc Rehab can be useless unless you really push for what you want they will do as little as possible. Case in point, they have/are paying for my son to get his degree and will then "supposedly" help him get a job though we'll have to wait and see. He's been on SSI since grade school and totally on his own since 18. I had to step in when it came to voc rehab and help push 'em to do what was needed but it's all working out. My son wants to work like yesterday, he hates taking SSI but understands that it is where his life is at right now and it doesn't have to be forever.

Maybe you could go back to V.R. and have them reopen your case due to V.R. plan failure? Maybe some computer certification classes or network classes? Before you walk in there to ask for anything have all the information at hand, costs,length, expected outcome (like employment) etc.
I'd also love to be able to work but due to my limitations it'd be part time at best and would cost me more than help me. So yeah, I get your frustration.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 PM

113 posts, read 101,400 times
The ADA makes it much easier for people with disabilities to sue their employers. To be safe from lawsuits, many employers won't hire disabled people because of this. If the ADA were repealed, the job market would look a lot better.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majinkoola View Post
The ADA makes it much easier for people with disabilities to sue their employers. To be safe from lawsuits, many employers won't hire disabled people because of this. If the ADA were repealed, the job market would look a lot better.
That's probably true with parts of it but certainly not all.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majinkoola View Post
I totally disagree. ADA has been a great deal for the disabled. Do you have any links to back that up?

Old 04-09-2013, 04:08 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,746 times
It's not a great deal when employers still have the ability to discriminate and stay hush about it.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
What's the disability we're talking about here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies