U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:15 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,860,021 times

Advertisements

From the Treaty of Tripoli:

As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion, as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen, and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Signed by President John Adams in 1797. And if anyone in this world would know that it would be him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,860,021 times
Actually freightshaker, I recently read about a dog was playing around with a gun (somehow or other) and shot his owner. A better aim and the owner wouldn't have made it.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 PM

27,180 posts, read 15,706,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't know of a single instance where a gun has killed anyone without a person being behind it... I have never seen one load itself or point itself at someone.. I have never seen one pull its own trigger... If you have witnessed this, I hope you documented it..
Discounting some (very slim possibility of a) malfunction, it is man's error or man's intent to use a gun on another man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So answer me why we have guns unless it's to kill???
Hunting animals, NOT other humans. Then you have gunowners like me that are range users and do not hunt. Our president falls in this category as well...

Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 PM

9,833 posts, read 5,834,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
So answer me why we have guns unless it's to kill???
Sport shooting comes to mind.. Yes a gun can kill if that is the intention of the user. It can't kill on it's own... Sometimes killing is justifiable and sometimes it isn't. Unless you are a vegetarian, you kill every day you eat beef, turkey or any other animal... The only difference is, that you don't pull the trigger.. That death would not happen if you didn't create the demand.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 PM

9,833 posts, read 5,834,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Actually freightshaker, I recently read about a dog was playing around with a gun (somehow or other) and shot his owner. A better aim and the owner wouldn't have made it.
Then it was the dog and not the gun that shot it..

Old 04-20-2013, 11:43 PM

1,160 posts, read 572,107 times
Guns only change the result of violence. Want to lower gun deaths (which is an extremely small percentage of violence)? Make domestic violence and the drug problem a higher priority than gun control.

EDIT: Mental health treatment would go a long way too, considering more than half of all gun deaths are suicides.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 AM

9,524 posts, read 7,795,783 times
"Unless you are a vegetarian, you kill every day you eat beef, turkey or any other animal..."

Sorry, but even a vegetarian kills!
Yes, even vegetables are alive!
Does a carrot scream when it is ripped out of the ground?
I don't know; It is possible, I suppose.
EVERYTHING ON EARTH, from a microbe to human being, feeds on the dead carcass of something else!
It doesn't matter if it is a chunk or old dead cow or a bowl of old dead beans!

Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 AM

16,885 posts, read 13,007,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Actually, I have to disagree. One person with a firearm is actually a fairly inefficient method of mass murder. It is simply a weapon of convenience, which is why it is used.

For instance:
September 11 - 2,976 people murdered, no firearms used
Oklahoma City Bombing - 168 people murdered, no firearms used
Bath School disaster/bombing - 45 killed, no firearm deaths
Wall Street bombing (1920) - 38 killed, no firearms used

It's no accident that the worst mass murders haven't involved a firearm at all.

no firearms were used in the worst school mass murder either.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,863,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
There is no god. None whatsoever. :-)

There might be Jesus but like every nut job before and after him, they all claim to be messenger or son of god.
That depends on how you view God. If you view God as a some man in the sky hanging out on clouds then I would agree, God doesn't exist. However, to a lot a people, God is much more abstract.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:22 AM

3,017 posts, read 1,863,108 times
This is a metal health issue, not a guns issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies