Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Wow, I am surprised there are a number of Republicans on this list that I didn't think had the spine to stand up to their own party and vote in support of this bill, good for them.
They voted in favor of moving the bill (along with its three core amendments) to the floor for debate--they have yet to vote in favor of passage.

When push comes to shove, I can only hope that my senators (Max Baucus and Jon Tester, but of whom tend to be lock-step wh*res for the Democratic party) will side with their constituents in total opposition to a bill that could just as well have originated from a Jersey sewage lagoon (or what Joisyites might call a "state legislature").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Update: I completely retract my previous gratitude for the "compromise" developed between Toomey and Manchin.

Even select pro-2A web sources were appeasing this bill yesterday, but, as the hours advance, we can now bear witness to the fact that their proposed amendment does virtually nothing to protect gun owners from privacy invasions and ridiculous legal technicalities that will criminilize their presently legal activity.

Patrick Toomey and Joe Manchin may now, officially, be filed amongst the ranks of the rest of their gun-hating, anti-2A Senate colleagues.

Just thought everyone might like to know.
DO you have the exact details of what you stated. Right now the agreement on background checks only includes online sales and private sales at gunshows. There is not one piece of the agreement that is an invasion of privacy maybe you can share your information. You should be celebrating if this goes through, private sales (outside of gunshows) between relatives, etc are unaffected, extremely watered down legislation.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:51 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
DO you have the exact details of what you stated. Right now the agreement on background checks only includes online sales and private sales at gunshows. There is not one piece of the agreement that is an invasion of privacy maybe you can share your information. You should be celebrating if this goes through, private sales (outside of gunshows) between relatives, etc are unaffected, extremely watered down legislation.
Why the hell should anyone celebrate a loss of freedom? Only if they're a fascist perhaps.

The bill would make it a felony for people to even loan each other guns while hunting or to try out each other's guns at a shooting range.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:45 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Dear anti-American Senators who voted to continue to debate against my constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms, I have only this to say,

"From my cold dead hands..."

Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Dear anti-American Senators who voted to continue to debate against my constitutionally guaranteed right to bear arms, I have only this to say,

"From my cold dead hands..."
Oh, the drama!

LOL

Old 04-12-2013, 09:03 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why yes. Yes, I do.

Firstly, it's certainly true that the bill's language was reported yesterday to expressly state that nothing contained within should be construed as permission for the instatement of a national firearms registry; what we weren't told, however, is that the bill's language goes on to state that "notwithstanding[my emphasis] any other provision of this chapter, the Attorney General may implement this subsection with regulations [my emphasis].

Read that again, Goodnight: "notwithstanding any provision" and "may implement regulations."

That's right: Eric Holder, who has publically expressed his disdain for firearms and argued against their private ownership before the SCOTUS via amicus brief, "may implement regulations" at his own discretion.

Moving on, it moves to eviscerate the McClure-Volkner act, 27-year-old legislation which protects gun owners who travel interstate and may travel through an anti-2A cesspit like New York, New Jersey or California.

For now, this is all I can share. This legislation is quite long, and, go figure, the Democrats are now poised to deny unanimous consent for any additional Republican amendments and may very well demand cloture before the full text is read on the floor.

And yet, some of us would describe this legislation and the activity surrounding it as being "watered down."

Anti-gun neurosis really is unhinged this year.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post

Anti-gun neurosis really is unhinged this year.
Not nearly as much as the rants from the gun huggers who are totally freaking out and pledging violence against cops and the people who vote for this - even going so far as suggesting that they (including Obama and Biden) should be "lined up against the wall."

I have come to the realization in the last few days from reading City Data that background checks and mental health screening is an absolute necessity and that there are definitely those for whom gun confiscation should be mandatory.

Not everyone should be allowed to own guns.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:27 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Not nearly as much as the rants from the gun huggers who are totally freaking out and pledging violence against cops and the people who vote for this - even going so far as suggesting that they (including Obama and Biden) should be "lined up against the wall."

I have come to the realization in the last few days from reading City Data that background checks and mental health screening is an absolute necessity and that there are definitely those for whom gun confiscation should be mandatory.

Not everyone should be allowed to own guns.
There are very few firearms owners who have advocated any sort of violence against anyone, even on this forum. Please spare us the dramatic overreaction

I would love for someone to explain to me why it is that when any other group is targeted by anger or censure because of the actions of a few individuals within that group it is considered to be hatred or racism by those on the left, yet the left feels perfectly comfortable attacking firearms owners, the vast overwhelming majority of whom have never used a firearm to commit a crime of any sort and never would. This whole debate reeks with the level of hypocrisy coming from those who want to pass new legislation to "control gun violence."

Old 04-12-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
There are very few firearms owners who have advocated any sort of violence against anyone, even on this forum.
Yes, there have. In this very thread.

They were deleted by a mod.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:32 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Yes, there have. In this very thread.

They were deleted by a mod.
Reading comprehension is your friend. I didn't say it hasn't happened, I simply pointed out that the people making those statements are not a representative sample of all firearms owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies