Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,002,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_windwalker View Post
Don't know where you live. Where I live, back in '74, there were no regs preventing you from starting a business AT HOME. Today, the regulations say "NO BUSINESS IN A RESIDENTIAL AREA". That means, in order to start a business today, you need to have the money to rent/buy a commercial property, then also have the funds to keep it while you prove your product and build up a customer base.

Back in '74, and earlier, companies like HP, Tektronics, Apple, and a few others, started out AT HOME, in the garage. So, today, come up with a new concept, develop it, and get a business started from a commercial location. Go ahead and try it.

What I could have started for $1,000.00 in 1974, will now cost me $200,000.00+, just to get started with the development. Once off the ground and running, it could be on a par with General Dynamics, but get it started. I've butted heads with enough regulations (and how much work I put into it makes absolutely no difference with the regulations) that it's just not going to happen.
I make business loans every single day for businesses operating out of a home. Many of them are IT consulting businesses, but there are others. Some law practices operate out of their homes, catalog businesses, travel agents, etc. I don't know where you heard this, but it definitely is not true.

Now, you cannot run a commercial storefront out of your home. Selling ice cream or clothing would be a big no-no. But selling on E-bay, heck yeah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,635,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sales Tax permit in Texas is free.
If you want to sell at a flea market that's about all you need plus the charge for a spot.
Yeah, well, Texas is a whole 'nother country. If I ever leave my state, I'll head to Texas, for lots of reasons including the taxes (or lack thereof). I like Texas.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:47 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,002,441 times
The most successful business (with the least amount of start-up capital, education, training, etc) I have seen in all my years of business banking is one where a 20 year-old started a lawn maintenance business for foreclosed properties. He started in one local area and basically mowed lawns, trimmed bushes and occassionally repaired a fence or two (nothing fancy like edging, just enough to keep the local authorities from fining the banks).

He eventually scored a contract with a nationwide lender that owned foreclosed properties all over the country. When he needed a lawn mowed in Enid, Oklahoma, he would put up a Craigslist ad in that city to have it done. Last time I checked he was doing $6 million in sales and bringing in $300,000 personally after taxes.

Last edited by Book Lover 21; 04-09-2013 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-09-2013, 10:02 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,158,788 times
Hmmm, some good ideas on here. Myself, I'd love to work for myself, I just have no idea what I want to do. I take that back, I'd like to own a bar but definitely do not have the money or the credit rating to get the money so I'll have to think of something else.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:03 AM

13,715 posts, read 31,078,890 times
The OP wants to sell t-shirts on the corner.

If his idea was a good one, he could convince someone to loan him money, or perhaps even invest in his venture. However selling t-shirts on the corner is not exactly original.

Based on the shred of information the OP provided I wouldn't invest a penny. I guess he'll go back to cooking french fries.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,472,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Start up require one thing: research, research, and more research. It's the biggest reason why businesses initially fail, because they didn't do their homework.
Yes, "homework." And sufficient capital reserves.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,378,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Hmmm, some good ideas on here. Myself, I'd love to work for myself, I just have no idea what I want to do. I take that back, I'd like to own a bar but definitely do not have the money or the credit rating to get the money so I'll have to think of something else.
I've started a few businesses on concession.

Sometimes I'd bring my customers right into the bank demanding my products.

Lower than that, though, I've been quite successful in service businesses with just sweat financing.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,961,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
We sold a bar several years ago and held financing on it with a small down payment. It was a family headache, took up 2 much time to manage. Dont forget to ask for the seller to finance the transaction. I set it up so by time the buyer stopped making payments, my parents would be receiving social security. It allowed them to retire 10 years earlier than they planned.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:17 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,378,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Yes, "homework." And sufficient capital reserves.

"Capital reserves"? That's for capitalists.

I've used labor as my "capital", beginning many businesses with just my own.

Before learning ethics, the hard way, I took it to extremes. When I was ten, I shoveled a neighbor's sidewalk, walked up to the door, and demanded ten cents.

You should never demand pay as a result of working from an undefinitized contract.

Just because someone has snow on their sidewalk, doesn't mean . . .

Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,420,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The OP wants to sell t-shirts on the corner.

If his idea was a good one, he could convince someone to loan him money, or perhaps even invest in his venture. However selling t-shirts on the corner is not exactly original.

Based on the shred of information the OP provided I wouldn't invest a penny. I guess he'll go back to cooking french fries.
Agreed. If I knew him in real life and the idea he presented seemed feasible, I'd loan him the cash myself; I can't tell you how many of my friends have started little businesses (though they may not be registered) and I've helped finance things. In fact two of my friends own t-shirt businesses, one I helped finance the shirts, the other I built his website, and gave him a few hundred dollars for materials.

Although that particular venture of work isn't too profitable, if he believes he can really do well with selling shirts then by all means we should all support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies