Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
this is one of the tired old slogans of the right - 'start your own business' - used as a kind of master play to support the suppression of wages.

OK, well let's get rid of the regulations first and I"ll be happy (happier than working MacD's anyway), to sell Cd's, t-shirts etc.. on the street corner.

Doubt that would go down too well though.

So how can we have it both ways?
I started a handyman business with less than $100 in my bank account and a handful of tools. Since I blew out my shoulder and had to stop doing anything strenuous with my left arm, I've started 2 different online businesses, both of which are going fairly well. Once actually is selling t-shirts, although not on the street corner. The internet is a wonderful thing. Neither of my online businesses cost me a dime up front, and the only money I have invested in them has been money that I felt would be beneficial.

The idea that you need loads of cash to start a business is a fallacy. While you may not be able to start exactly the business you want at exactly the size you want to start it at, that doesn't mean that you can't start a business with limited funds. Unless it's a field that requires state licensing, your initial startup could cost as little as $50, or whatever your municipality charges for an occupational license.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
One of the reasons people stay with employers is because they think it is more "secure" and we all know how that is working for them. If I would have thought that way, well that's just say, I am so glad I didn't. Even if you have a job think about starting a business.

Just because you didn't go to school for something does not mean that should stop you. We are in an information society and as long as you have a computer and an internet connection the world of knowledge is at your fingertips.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:51 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
One of the reasons people stay with employers is because they think it is more "secure" and we all know how that is working for them. If I would have thought that way, well that's just say, I am so glad I didn't. Even if you have a job think about starting a business.
That's exactly where I'm at. Stuck in a rut. Have no idea what I want to do, I just know I can't stand doing what I'm doing now. Salary is a problem too, while I don't make a lot of money where I'm at it's more than I would make doing what I want to do. I hate being stuck in a rut!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM

7,500 posts, read 5,749,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
So the regulations in 1974 were the same as today are they? I very much doubt that somehow.

The levels of unemployment were the same in 1974?

Nowadays, you almost need a license just to cross the street.

It's more like 'start your own business but only if you push enough money up the chain first' - notice the double standard and hypocrisy here?

nothing to do with attitude - it's more a dose of reality.
We have a successfully business and nothing you have spewed even remotely apllied to us.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
We have a successfully business and nothing you have spewed even remotely apllied to us.
It didn't apply to us either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
That's exactly where I'm at. Stuck in a rut. Have no idea what I want to do, I just know I can't stand doing what I'm doing now. Salary is a problem too, while I don't make a lot of money where I'm at it's more than I would make doing what I want to do. I hate being stuck in a rut!
This should encourage you to keep thinking. Imagine that you are stuck doing what you do well into your 50's, 60's. If you hate it now, what is it going to feel like then. What do you want to do?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
This should encourage you to keep thinking. Imagine that you are stuck doing what you do well into your 50's, 60's. If you hate it now, what is it going to feel like then. What do you do?
Believe me, all day today & many times in the past I've thought of other things I could do. I must have no creativity in me whatsoever because I cannot think of a business I could start that doesn't involve overhead, such as my bar idea, or the like. I don't know what my problem is. No, I can't imagine being stuck well into my 50's or 60's, might as well shoot me now! I'll go home tonight & brainstorm.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:10 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Believe me, all day today & many times in the past I've thought of other things I could do. I must have no creativity in me whatsoever because I cannot think of a business I could start that doesn't involve overhead, such as my bar idea, or the like. I don't know what my problem is. No, I can't imagine being stuck well into my 50's or 60's, might as well shoot me now! I'll go home tonight & brainstorm.
But it doesn't matter if it has overhead. Very few businesses don't have overhead at some point. Unless the business is you. Part of being able to do business is to find solutions to problems, one of which is usually finding access to capital.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I like the brainstorm idea better. With Obamacare coming in 2014 which is going to hurt smaller companies and they may use outsource to other companies, which should provide opportunities for people who want to start a business in their area of expertise. The post above does have a point, if it is in an area of expertise, you are the business until you can hire other people but at least it's lower overhead.

I think it was Robert Kiyosaki who wrote, the middle class say I can't, the rich say how can I. I think the people who are around us can also help keep us down if we let them. I hear that Americans are being fed that the dream is over and that is not true. Talk about telling you that don't even try to live you're dream. Why is that I wonder.

Last edited by petch751; 04-09-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
I know someone who started his business at 19 years old and his friends laughed at his idea. He is now 21 years old and successful. He is thinking about getting into real estate too. Talk about drive! This 21 year old is going to be wealthy.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:45 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
I guess Kenny decided to take his ball and leave. I've asked him twice now to cite the laws that were stopping him from starting his business, and he's ignored that request. There's nothing left to do now but assume he's a troll.

Ciao, Kenny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies