Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
No, tax numbers are NOT free. Not in my state. Sales tax numbers cost money.

If done legally and according to both state and federal laws, nothing you mention is free. If you don't get the proper licensing, just don't get caught.

In my state, even selling used crap at flea markets requires a special tax license. I don't know what it's called or what it costs, but it's not free.
EIN numbers are issued by the federal govenrment and have no cost.

Reale licenses, cost $25 in my state, I'm sure that cost makes sure that only the rich start businesses.

Furthermore, most income, can simply be reported on personal income tax returns.. As a DBA.. There isnt a need to obtain a lot of licenses provided you claim the income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
this is one of the tired old slogans of the right - 'start your own business' - used as a kind of master play to support the suppression of wages.

OK, well let's get rid of the regulations first and I"ll be happy (happier than working MacD's anyway), to sell Cd's, t-shirts etc.. on the street corner.

Doubt that would go down too well though.

So how can we have it both ways?
Maybe the numbers have changed, but for many years, decades, the statistic often quoted by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce was that more than 50% of all small business start-ups failed, in a relatively short time period. I've a lot of respect for people who sink their own, and others', money into businesses. It takes guts. And, yes, small businesses are the true backbone of commerce in the USA. But accomplishing that success is easier said than done.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
You can't have it both ways unless you adjust your attitude first. Maybe "start your own business" is a tired slogan for you, but that is exactly what I did back in 1974. I didn't have a bunch of money saved up to do it either, but it does take lots of hard work, and that is where many people fail.
Don't know where you live. Where I live, back in '74, there were no regs preventing you from starting a business AT HOME. Today, the regulations say "NO BUSINESS IN A RESIDENTIAL AREA". That means, in order to start a business today, you need to have the money to rent/buy a commercial property, then also have the funds to keep it while you prove your product and build up a customer base.

Back in '74, and earlier, companies like HP, Tektronics, Apple, and a few others, started out AT HOME, in the garage. So, today, come up with a new concept, develop it, and get a business started from a commercial location. Go ahead and try it.

What I could have started for $1,000.00 in 1974, will now cost me $200,000.00+, just to get started with the development. Once off the ground and running, it could be on a par with General Dynamics, but get it started. I've butted heads with enough regulations (and how much work I put into it makes absolutely no difference with the regulations) that it's just not going to happen.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Stick to being someone else's employee because it sounds like you just don't have what it takes to start your own business.
One can't spend a large portion of every day starting threads on the C-D forums and start a successful business. The OP has several threads on the first page of C-D and averages of over 13 posts per day since the join date. That's a lot of wasted time,...even for a whiner.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
No, tax numbers are NOT free. Not in my state. Sales tax numbers cost money.

If done legally and according to both state and federal laws, nothing you mention is free. If you don't get the proper licensing, just don't get caught.

In my state, even selling used crap at flea markets requires a special tax license. I don't know what it's called or what it costs, but it's not free.
Sales Tax permit in Texas is free.
If you want to sell at a flea market that's about all you need plus the charge for a spot.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:23 AM

945 posts, read 967,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Maybe the numbers have changed, but for many years, decades, the statistic often quoted by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce was that more than 50% of all small business start-ups failed, in a relatively short time period. I've a lot of respect for people who sink their own, and others', money into businesses. It takes guts. And, yes, small businesses are the true backbone of commerce in the USA. But accomplishing that success is easier said than done.

But they didn't build that. Someone else did right? Right?

It wasn't their guts and risk, it was someone else.

Good morning comrade GoMexico.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:29 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,222,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Start up require one thing: research, research, and more research. It's the biggest reason why businesses initially fail, because they didn't do their homework.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:48 AM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Everyone starts out with 86400. It's how you spend that 86400 that determines whether your business will be successful or not. Nothing else matters.
One of my competitors spent it by bribing the Governor.

I ran them both out of business.

I get high with a little help from the press.

Yes, I'm gonna try with a little help from the press.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 AM

23,841 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
If you don't mind my asking, what kind of business did you start?

I'm not being sarcastic, just genuinely curious and think its great that you started one with such limited funds.
It's a service business in the trucking industry. I can't go into more detail without risking my anonymity.

We started it in a spare bedroom. We now have over 1500 square feet of office space and multiple employees, and all of this growth has been in spite of the economy - we started up about two months before the crash.

Has it been easy? No. But it beats the pants off of working for someone else.

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-09-2013, 09:19 AM

23,841 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Hey Kenny - I'm still waiting for you to cite the specific laws that are holding you back from realizing your dream.

Or should we just assume at this point that you're full of crap, as usual?

Sent from my SCH-R530C using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies