Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:21 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times

Advertisements

Same here BMore.. No management skills, limited education, but all the drive and determination and willingness to learn of a dozen others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Same here BMore.. No management skills, limited education, but all the drive and determination and willingness to learn of a dozen others.
And that drive is what can help all of us become succesful. Not every business owner has the skills to run a business, a prime example of this is franchisees; I'm sure we all know what that is and that's one thing I'll consider doing someday. I'd love to own a few Krispy Kreme franchises as well as Chick-Fill A although I lack the management skills that an entrepreneur may possess.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
So the regulations in 1974 were the same as today are they? I very much doubt that somehow.

The levels of unemployment were the same in 1974?

Nowadays, you almost need a license just to cross the street.

It's more like 'start your own business but only if you push enough money up the chain first' - notice the double standard and hypocrisy here?

nothing to do with attitude - it's more a dose of reality.
Actually, it was very similar in 1974. I know, because I started my own business less than 6 months before in 1973. I had to buy a business license and register with the state and the city.

I started with $7,000, saved up by my wife and I, helped along with the sale of my car (Which gave me enough to buy a used work truck and add to the kitty), and some help from our parents. I was 28.

I operated it successfully for the next 15 years, and when I was offered a good deal on it, I sold the biz. Times were changing by 1988, and I either had to make a very substantial equipment investment or sell the business. I chose the latter.

It can be done. That $7,000 had to equip my rented shop,pay for all the needed supplies, and keep us alive long enough to get the businesses' wheels rolling in the middle of a recession. I did it.

I went in to another line of work later, and went out on my own a 2nd time a decade later. In the beginning of another recession. Before I retired, I had gone through 4 recessions, some more severe than others.

Nontheless, it is nowhere as easy as most folks think it is, and relatively few folks are cut out for it. Unless a person has skills in a rare occupation, or an extremely good head for keeping money in motion, and a personality capable of shrugging off worries, doubts and fears, it is very hard to start and run a business.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
lol, jump in and swim hard. I remember one time I ran into a road block and feeling a little down I thought to myself "who the hell did I think I was to think I could do this". Funny thing, I dug in anyway and worked around it. That's not to say I don't have down days but the results are damn worth it to keep on swimming and in you're freightshaker case keep on trucking.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
And that drive is what can help all of us become succesful. Not every business owner has the skills to run a business, a prime example of this is franchisees; I'm sure we all know what that is and that's one thing I'll consider doing someday. I'd love to own a few Krispy Kreme franchises as well as Chick-Fill A although I lack the management skills that an entrepreneur may possess.
Kispy Kreme, not to close to my house please lol.

I think buying a franchise is more like buying a job though.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Actually, it was very similar in 1974. I know, because I started my own business less than 6 months before in 1973. I had to buy a business license and register with the state and the city.

I started with $7,000, saved up by my wife and I, helped along with the sale of my car (Which gave me enough to buy a used work truck and add to the kitty), and some help from our parents. I was 28.

I operated it successfully for the next 15 years, and when I was offered a good deal on it, I sold the biz. Times were changing by 1988, and I either had to make a very substantial equipment investment or sell the business. I chose the latter.

It can be done. That $7,000 had to equip my rented shop,pay for all the needed supplies, and keep us alive long enough to get the businesses' wheels rolling in the middle of a recession. I did it.

I went in to another line of work later, and went out on my own a 2nd time a decade later. In the beginning of another recession. Before I retired, I had gone through 4 recessions, some more severe than others.

Nontheless, it is nowhere as easy as most folks think it is, and relatively few folks are cut out for it. Unless a person has skills in a rare occupation, or an extremely good head for keeping money in motion, and a personality capable of shrugging off worries, doubts and fears, it is very hard to start and run a business.

Oh yea, keep the money moving. About your truck, was it during the recession where we waited in line for hours to fill up our gas tanks? Oh those were the days and even though times were hard somehow we managed to get though it without hating the world.

When I was first starting I met a very sophisticated woman who owned an established business. We were talking about business and I had a good laugh when she said, yea, when I first started I drove a car that drove sideways, it was a clunker but it got me where I needed to go.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:56 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Kispy Kreme, not to close to my house please lol.

I think buying a franchise is more like buying a job though.
I'll open in it directly in your neighborhood. But are you required to work in the franchise? I can't afford to work in a Krispy Kreme franchise, I'd eat myself to death. LOL

Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I'll open in it directly in your neighborhood. But are you required to work in the franchise? I can't afford to work in a Krispy Kreme franchise, I'd eat myself to death. LOL
lol. yea, it would be too tempting to eat the profits.

I do hear that buying a franchise is like buying a job though. I of course don't know what I am talking about as far as franchises are concerned though.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
For some, a lack of funds isn't the only hold back.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:52 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,837,945 times
I think we are into the big old circle again.

Not enough jobs? = start your own business

start your own business - what happens when the market is saturated?

It all ends up the same.

20% can find work, perhaps 20% can start a successful business.

But those 20% need staff - what if those staff aren't happy with their wages?

Of course, they just 'start their own business'

And round and round it goes.

So are those people working for the start ups worth paying a reasonable wage or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies