U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Status: "Embrace the uncertainty of Liberty" (set 25 days ago)

6,387 posts, read 1,822,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Speaking of Katrina I seem to recall the good old boys guarding the bridge with their guns while some minority residents tried to escape the flood waters. Since when does one senator have the final say on gun control, where does it indicate they will confiscatre all weapons in the current legislation??
The current legislation was just step 4 in the multiple step process to confiscate all guns.

Right now they are just trying to turn regular citizens into criminals if they don't monitor ever changing gun laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:02 PM

7,776 posts, read 2,168,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The NRA won because their argument was the cogent one.

It really is this simple. If the gun laws now up for vote had been enacted one year before Sandy Hook happened, it would have done NOTHING to stop the shooting.

People are smart enough to get that. Liberals have proposed law that does NOTHING to stop, or even slow down a maniac intent on doing harm.

The sad reality is, that Sandy Hook would have been nowhere near as deadly if the DAY before it happned, that school had armed its teachers.

Even sader, had the mother of this kid had the legal ability to get her son committed to an institution, the whole thing could have been prevented.

Liberals propose only 1 solution. It is the one that has been tried before and has proven to do NOTHING to slow gun crime.

Liberalism is a loser. People are catching on.
^^^This to the n-th power

Liberals are one trick ponies.

-They spend too much and their answer is raise taxes, not slow spending.
-They want to help the poor so they hand them fish (checks; other peoples money) instead of teaching them to fish.
-They blame all gun owners for gun crimes, instead of their own progressive "everyone is a winner" and "all children are our children" insanity. We've raised two generations of confused children, who just happen to be the byproduct of progressive social engineering.

The bottom line is they blame everyone for everything, except themselves. Example: They're still blaming Bush for everything Obama is doing wrong.

Last edited by steven_h; 04-10-2013 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 PM

7,776 posts, read 2,168,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Yep, illegal guns just got more expensive for those who can't buy over the counter. But, they will still get them.
Actually, this isn't true. Most illegal guns are stolen, and go for pennies on the dollar in street deals. Believe it or not, one of the favorite guns is a .38 revolver and can be found for as little as $50 on the street.

Criminals will get guns no matter what, even if they have to steal them.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 PM

3,908 posts, read 2,216,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yeah yeah... sounds like sour grapes to me....

The NRA didn't win, the American people won, the Constitution won, freedom won.
Yeah we all won bro, now me and my homies are going to get our guns together and PAR-TAY!!!

Old 04-10-2013, 07:36 PM

11,254 posts, read 9,608,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Yeah we all won bro, now me and my homies are going to get our guns together and PAR-TAY!!!
How ya gonna have fun?

Much like all gun owners are the same, anti-gun people are all whiny crybabies looking for an extra milkbag to suck on so they don't have to take care of themselves while they concoct their next groundless lawsuit or write corny slogans on carboard signs so they can get together, hug strangers and stand on a streetcorner for a couple hours after tanking up at the local Starbucks.

That's not a party...You and your homies are gonna make the daycare from hell.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 PM

1,163 posts, read 516,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Really? If you're a criminal, you don't want anyone else to have a gun, .
Or if you're a totalitarian government.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:04 AM

8,630 posts, read 3,774,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
This is, to a point, certainly true (at least for the moment), but consider this:

The people (and by "people," I'm mostly referring to gun owners and other 2A advocates) of New York didn't win; the people of Maryland didn't win; the people of Connecticut didn't win; the people of Colorado didn't win; and the people of New Jersey, California, Rhode Island and Massachusetts (am I missing any others?) will more than likely suffer similar assaults on their civil liberties, especially in the event of another prolific mass-killing tragedy that involves an unhinged lunatic with a Bushmaster (re-enter federal assault weapons ban, magazine limits, comprehensive databasing of gun owners, possible confiscatory provisions, etc).

Thanks to various state legislatures and gubernatorial figures, the grabbers are having their way with millions of law-abiding gun owners, and, regardless of whether or not they achieve passage of UBCs at the federal level, we can be sure that they'll continue to have their way with millions more via state legislation schemes.

Can we still rely on the courts?

God, I hope so.
you are right. However, we can only do so much. There is simply nothing I can do about the laws in those states because I don't live in them. I can only petition at my state level and at the Federal level, it'sup to the residents in those states to make their voices heard and to spread the word about why this kind of legislation doesn't work. Thankfuly, my state hasn't bought in to all the hype so I can concentrate my efforts at the federal level, for now.

Yes, freedom did take some blows over the last couple months, but mostly in states that were already headed in that direction. The only state to surprise me in enacting nonsense laws was colorado, and by the way some of the people who live or have lived there talk about it, it wasn't very surprising to them. Let's also not forget that for as many states that have enacted these draconian gun laws, there are as many who have enacted laws that either literaly or symbolicly expanded the rights of gun owners. Georgia for example, enacted a law mandating gun ownership to every household, of course there are no penalties for non compliance but it has a symbolic value. Kansas just last week enacted laws prohibiting the enforcement of any gun ban scheme, expanded the rights of those with carry permits, and a number of other things.

Let's also not forget that this whole thing has brought the topic of gun control front and center to peoples minds that otherwise nmay not have given it much thought. Polls show that there is a dramatic decrease in support for major new controls, and the media would have you believe that the reason for it is because people have simply moved on. I don't doubt that that is a partial cause for the decline, but I think that people are beginning to realize just how inefective these measures would be, and are shifting their support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Sounds like some fun is in the works for you.... just be safe and practice responsible firearm handling.....

Although I think we both know this post wasn't a serious one on your part.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM

3,908 posts, read 2,216,394 times
Quote:
you are right. However, we can only do so much. There is simply nothing I can do about the laws in those states because I don't live in them. I can only petition at my state level and at the Federal level, it'sup to the residents in those states to make their voices heard and to spread the word about why this kind of legislation doesn't work. Thankfuly, my state hasn't bought in to all the hype so I can concentrate my efforts at the federal level, for now.

Yes, freedom did take some blows over the last couple months, but mostly in states that were already headed in that direction. The only state to surprise me in enacting nonsense laws was colorado, and by the way some of the people who live or have lived there talk about it, it wasn't very surprising to them. Let's also not forget that for as many states that have enacted these draconian gun laws, there are as many who have enacted laws that either literaly or symbolicly expanded the rights of gun owners. Georgia for example, enacted a law mandating gun ownership to every household, of course there are no penalties for non compliance but it has a symbolic value. Kansas just last week enacted laws prohibiting the enforcement of any gun ban scheme, expanded the rights of those with carry permits, and a number of other things.

Let's also not forget that this whole thing has brought the topic of gun control front and center to peoples minds that otherwise nmay not have given it much thought. Polls show that there is a dramatic decrease in support for major new controls, and the media would have you believe that the reason for it is because people have simply moved on. I don't doubt that that is a partial cause for the decline, but I think that people are beginning to realize just how inefective these measures would be, and are shifting their support.

Sounds like some fun is in the works for you.... just be safe and practice responsible firearm handling.....

Although I think we both know this post wasn't a serious one on your part.
Serious as a hand grenade, which I bought along with the guns.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:53 PM

1,026 posts, read 530,605 times
Quote:
In addition to my gratefulness for the 2A's success at the federal level (for now), I certainly do offer my condolences to select residents of the handful of states that have enacted/will enact New York-esque anti-firearm legislation; I don't, however, offer condolenses to the mindless dolts who voted for the likes of Andrew Cuomo, Martin O'Malley, Lincoln Chafee, Dannel Malloy, Deval Patrick, et al or any representative/senator at the state levels who has voted/will vote in favor of gun owner persecution.

Likewise, I too consider myself very lucky to live in a state where such legislative endeavors couldn't, as of now, stand the slightest chance of passage through the legislature (unfortunately, though, it would appear that my state's governor is a sissified party-hack where asserting the 2A rights of his constituents is concerned).

Montana Governor Lies About the Constitution, Vetoes 2nd Amendment Protection Bill – Tenth Amendment Center

Oh well, at least it isn't, as of yet, commonplace for me to see brigades of mildly(?) retarded women (or moms "demanding action", if you prefer) protesting the civil rights of my state's citizens or Americans-at-large (and by the way, I mean no offense by my reference to the developmentally disabled--comparing their cognizance to that of the average gun control supporter might understandably be viewed as distasteful).

Quote:
Well, it's definitely been a pleasure to see the pro-2A legislation being pushed through the legislatures of various gun owner-friendly states; really, Colorado has been the only anomaly I can think of.

And Let's hope that Gov. Brownback of KS actually has the cajones to sign the anti-federal gun control bills passed by the state's legislature. Don't be a p*ssy, Sam...

Quote:
As gun control stands on this particular day, aside from the Manchin-Toomey agreement, it's abject nonsense to think that 90% of Americans support UBCs under the absurd dictates of Chuck Schumer (who was basically steering the ship of UBC legislation which MSM polls were peddling as having widespread support). According to every analysis I've seen thus far, the background check expansion that was passed by the Senate today is a beautifully gutted version of Schumer's legislative objectives (and hell, there may still be a chance of this agreement failing in the House).

Last edited by Montguy; 04-11-2013 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies