Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:28 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Nice rhetoric but nobody's answered my question. I'm not advocating it, I'm just curious why it can't be regulated under constitutional law.
Because a firearm without ammunition is useless, and the 2nd Amendment says that "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

One cannot "keep and bear" a firearm if they are restricted in the ability to obtain ammunition.

Without that, a firearm is nothing more than a sculpted club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 07:29 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Quit obsessing over what other people own and purchase, you'll be a much happier person.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:30 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
I have a right to free speech but that doesn't mean I can libel, slander, defraud, incite to riot, or yell fire in a crowded theater. All rights have limits.
Irrelevant. The courts have ruled that an individual has a Constitutional right to protect themselves by bearing arms. Again, simply because you say you have no agenda here, one can not protect themselves with an unloaded gun.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:30 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Because a firearm without ammunition is useless, and the 2nd Amendment says that "the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

One cannot "keep" a firearm if they are restricted in the ability to obtain ammunition.
That could be addressed by allowing non-lethal rubber bullets. You have a right to bear arms but not to introduce something into another's body. That's pretty well established. I can't give you dirty food, drugs, or water.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:31 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Can you give me the case?
Ammunition is an integral part of "arms" which are clearly protected under the 2nd amendment.

"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" (Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788)

Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Ammunition is an integral part of "arms" which are clearly protected under the 2nd amendment.

"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" (Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788)
The PA Gazette's not a court.

Quote:
I have a right to free speech but that doesn't mean I can libel, slander, defraud, incite to riot, or yell fire in a crowded theater. All rights have limits.
Your 1st amendment rights are only limited when they impede on the rights/safety of other people.

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
That could be addressed by allowing non-lethal rubber bullets. You have a right to bear arms but not to introduce something into another's body. That's pretty well established.
No it isn't. It happens all the time. Everyday there are people who shoot others when they break into their house and it's perfectly legal.

You haven't thought your position through very well. I suggest you read up on the topics you wish to discuss before posting.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Your 1st amendment rights are only limited when they impede on the rights/safety of other people.
Exactly. Like putting a foreign object into someone else's body.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
That could be addressed by allowing non-lethal rubber bullets. You have a right to bear arms but not to introduce something into another's body. That's pretty well established. I can't give you dirty food, drugs, or water.
Rubber bullets? Really?

You don't have the right to introduce yourself into my home without my permission, if you do I'll introduce some high velocity lead into your body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies