Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 01:56 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,385,929 times

Advertisements

Free speech - have at it. The pen is free. Nobody said Uncle Sam couldn't regulate the ink...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 05:24 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,353,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
This thread = MASSIVE FAIL.

the OP is like a train wreck, I just gotta keep watching

Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 AM

312 posts, read 397,121 times
Quote:
Again, the term "arms," in its most comprehensive signification, probably includes every description of weapon or thing which may be used offensively or defensively, and in the most restricted sense, includes guns or firearms of every description, as well as powder, lead and flints, and such other things as are necessarily used in loading and discharging them...
State v. Buzzard, 4 Ark. (2 Pike) 18 (1842)

Consequently, any restriction on ammunition has to follow the same guidelines as restrictions on the firearms themselves in order to be constitutionally sound.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,916,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Wouldn't get much practice in to be a competitive shooter if we followed your lead and limited ammo now would you?

Hunters generally fire a few shots to sight in the rifle then fire only a couple while hunting then don't use the gun again until next hunting season. Target matches generally have boxes of ammo shot in one match, or in practice. S maybe that's why buying 1000 rds at a time isn't that far fetched. After all is some crazy going to be able to carry 1000 rds anyway? No he won't

The gun ban people's angle on banning or limiting ammo is to limit people from shooting at all because they don't want people to shoot period, it is not about safety.
Let me first say I dont advocate banning any ammo. I like to illustrate incongurity in arguements.

The 2nd A only reaffirms the right bear arms. No where in the 2A does it extend that right to Hunting or Sport shooting, or any other activity with that weapon.

Hunting is probably the most regulated "sport" activity. If, hunting is protected by 2A, then why aren't the NRA and other "gun" advocasy groups calling for all the restictions, permiting, licencing associated with hunting?

Why don't hunters and sport shooters battle against all the rules and regualtions for hunting to be repealed?

Ammo could be highly regulated:
1. please list the three(3) primary weapons used for self-defense.
* please list the amount of ammo per weapon needed for that purpose.

2. Please list all weapons used for hunting.
* please list type of ammo needed and amount needed for each permit/tag per weapon.

3. Please list all weapons used for Sport shooting.
* list type and amount of ammo needed per month per weapon.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,401,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I believe only guns are covered by the second amendment. I've never heard of a case concluding that ammo is included. The government has laws regulating all other things that can be introduced into the human body from air, to drugs and food. Why doesn't the U.S. just license the purchase and possession of ammunition with limited numbers of highly regulated dispensaries, for law enforcement and others with a permitted need for it? Wouldn't that solve this whole issue? Under amendment 2 I likely have a right to own and carry hypodermic needles but not the right to purchase lethal drugs to put in them.

Have you actually read the entire Constitution?
Did you see the part about the militia and how much powder each person ages 17-48 must have?

I think you scanned right over it, because you didn't want to see it.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 AM

312 posts, read 397,121 times
Hunting isn't protected by the 2nd amendment. Wherever did you get that idea from? Of course I see your point - certain activities require certain amounts of ammo. Consequently, in an environment where firearms is a privilege and not a right, it could make sense to regulate the amount and type of ammunition which can be purchased and kept by individuals. Indeed, such is the case where I live.

However, as long as keeping and bearing arms is a natural right, and the definition of "arms" being what it is, it is clear that an attempt to "regulate" ammunition would simply be an attempt at circumvention of the citizen's rights.

Furthermore, since the original intent of the 2nd amendment was to ensure the states', and ultimately the people's, ability to withstand enemies foreign and domestic, the "need" for ammunition would be if not boundless, at least significant. 1.5 billion rounds, anyone?

Old 04-10-2013, 06:45 AM

14,888 posts, read 9,983,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Hunting is probably the most regulated "sport" activity. If, hunting is protected by 2A, then why aren't the NRA and other "gun" advocasy groups calling for all the restictions, permiting, licencing associated with hunting?

Why don't hunters and sport shooters battle against all the rules and regualtions for hunting to be repealed?
What regulations are you talking about on hunting?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,320,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I believe only guns are covered by the second amendment. I've never heard of a case concluding that ammo is included. The government has laws regulating all other things that can be introduced into the human body from air, to drugs and food. Why doesn't the U.S. just license the purchase and possession of ammunition with limited numbers of highly regulated dispensaries, for law enforcement and others with a permitted need for it? Wouldn't that solve this whole issue? Under amendment 2 I likely have a right to own and carry hypodermic needles but not the right to purchase lethal drugs to put in them.
Ammunition is regulated by the government in some jurisdictions. You can't purchase or possess it here without a license.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:49 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,153,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Ammunition is regulated by the government in some jurisdictions. You can't purchase or possess it here without a license.
That's at the state or local level where amendment 2 hasn't been applied. They can ban or regulate whatever they want under their court recognized police powers. I doubt the Supreme Court will want to go there.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,945,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Let me first say I dont advocate banning any ammo. I like to illustrate incongurity in arguements.

The 2nd A only reaffirms the right bear arms. No where in the 2A does it extend that right to Hunting or Sport shooting, or any other activity with that weapon.

I can hunt on my property without any of that. I don't need a license.

Quote:
For most it's because they are not on their own property. There are costs involved in maintaining wildlife. We know what happened when there was no one looking after the health of the animals people hunt. License fee's help maintain and ensure that they will be there in 10-20-30-etc years from now.

Nobody is complaining that they have to get a license to carry a gun on the property of others.

Quote:
Ammo could be highly regulated:
1. please list the three(3) primary weapons used for self-defense.
* please list the amount of ammo per weapon needed for that purpose.

2. Please list all weapons used for hunting.
* please list type of ammo needed and amount needed for each permit/tag per weapon.

3. Please list all weapons used for Sport shooting.
* list type and amount of ammo needed per month per weapon.
How much ammo do you need to maintain the security of a free state? I already asked this though with no answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies