Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 06:10 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
One crazy teacher out of a few million in the united states and you . . .

I mean seriously. . .

Are you going to start posting from fed up mcdonalds workers soon too?
Right after he posts generalizations of soldiers as sociopaths based upon particular incidents in the field and off.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Teacher fed up with the social progressive indoctrination of our children.

Teacher’s resignation letter: ‘My profession … no longer exists’

My aunt and uncle (just a few years older than me) retired two years ago. Both said the same. He (my uncle) was considered a "right wing nut job" because he was a decorated 101st Airborne Ranger who served in Vietnam. In fact, the guy is very middle of the road politically and calm. However, he said he had to "edit" his social studies texts, as they were full of revisionist history and outright lies. His students loved him; he has several flags from Iraq, Kuwait, and Afghanistan that flew over camps sent to him by former students. Teachers like this are essentially gone.

The only hope for real education in America is home schooling and the parochial system. However, even in the parochial system, there are left wing loons. I had to call one of the high school teachers and ask him not to present "global warming" and "the dangers of fracking" as "fact" in his curriculum! Given my academic past and publication record, he could not claim the bridle of "science" as a justification for presenting his unproven, left wing opinion. At least in that system, we have the power to muzzle idiots and have them stick to education and scientific fact, not leftist opionion.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:15 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Suspending 7 year olds for making pop tart guns is apparently the liberal notion of critical thinking.

A law to protect Pop-Tart guns - Rosenwald, Md. - The Washington Post

The public education system in this country is run by a gaggle of intolerant, petty leftists who don't know the first thing about critical thinking.

I've said it a thousand times before because it is true, parents with the financial means to opt out of the public system and send their kids to private schools always do.

Well, its sad to have to point it out. . .but Critical Thinking is thinking logically about an event. Its a type of education.

So apparently you haven't mastered the skill, or you wouldn't be using Cherry Pick Fallacy as a argument " fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position"

I mean really, you know how easy it is to run google to find stupid republicans and democrats doing stupid #@#.

BTW I have financial means to opt-out and go public if we want. . .but the schools here in denver tech center look fine.

Personally, the evidence suggests that there isn't a huge difference in outcomes from different schools and the difference is more related to the parents and their choices. . .of course, that is critical thinking about the situation.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Thumbs down Teacher’s Resignation Letter: ‘My Profession … No Longer Exists’---Absolutely no mention of Indoctrination Camps

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mask View Post
Teacher fed up with the social progressive indoctrination of our children.

Teacher’s resignation letter: ‘My profession … no longer exists’
As a 20 year veteran of teaching in large public high schools, I can echo the sentiments in that letter.

But there is no mention whatsoever of indoctrination.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-10-2013 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: title was changed

Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 AM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Any teacher with 20+ years will say the same.
But the new teachers, which are the products of this changed system, are all gung ho to teach it and think it's great.

So it's just a matter of waiting it out until all the older teachers have left.
I suggest you do not go into the field of motivational speaking because rarely have I read anything more depressing.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:39 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't see any hint of her complaint being "Indoctrination Camps." That is your agenda.

What the teacher was actually complaining about is stated in this paragraph:

That's not indoctrination, that's the new fad of endless testing, which then drives teaching to the test anda bland curriculum.

That is exactly what the teacher is complaining about...

Education: Standardized Tests, Explained | Mother Jones

The OP is clearly a victim of this failed teaching to the test trend that discourages critical thinking, hence, reading an article and lacking the ability to comprehend its content.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
conservatives don't really believe in public education and never have.

First the idea that all children should be educated is something that many conservatives think is a waste of time after a certain point because they believe many children just can't learn all that much after a certain point, and we waste money on those children's education.

Also, the idea of American citizens of differing backgrounds getting together as a city or a state or a community to educate children deciding based on diverse ideas how and what those children should learn is terrifying to conservatives because they view so many other Americans as enemies out to destroy America and because they have a very narrow definition of who is a real American.

They don't want those people to have any input into how children are educated. To them courses should only be taught in certain very narrow ways touching only on certain subjects.
Any deviation is understood by conservatives as indoctrination.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 AM

1,127 posts, read 903,772 times
A 63 year old teacher who was raking in $90,000 a year retires with a nice fat pension and is unhappy with his profession.

Spoiled Americans, they make me sick

Old 04-10-2013, 09:22 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Although I stand by my critic of conservatives and public education, the letter the teacher wrote has a lot to agree with. The focus on testing, the focus on holding teachers responsible so you manage their time. The focus on training for the test is all wrong.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:29 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
it is a system, education is not what matters. our kids are being bred to live in a community type life. forget math and reading, lets focus on self esteem and how to solve world peace. The system is in need of male teachers. the government would go crazy if the ration was reversed. they would create incentives to get famale teachers. why dont they make an effort to make the teching profession 50% of each sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies